Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

small block tranny

moparrr07
05-02-2005, 10:03 PM
im decide which trany to get, it needs to handel 550 lbs.-ft. and keep the price under 2 grand, it needs either an overdrive for an auto or a economy high gear for a manual, i dont really care if its a man or auto,

any suggestions

lostsurfur7
05-02-2005, 10:19 PM
muncie for manual or turbo 350 or 400 for auto

MrPbody
05-04-2005, 12:08 PM
Big block, eh? Or BIG hit of nitrous... Anyway, TH400 is pretty hard to beat, both literally AND figuratively. You can pump up a TH200-4R to take that level of torque, but it may cost more than the $2K limit you've established. It's a bigger chore to make a TH700-R4 take that level of power. (the latter 2 are the OD transmissions)
Finding a Muncie in good condition has become a lost art. While I completely agree, the M-21 and M-22 are among the best transmissions ever made by anyone, they are difficult to find and getting expensive. There's an outfit in Italy making repros of it, along with better synchros and a steel mid-plate. I don't know the name. Liberty Gear also supplies a NICE Muncie-type. Expensive.
IMO, TH350 would not be a good choice for an application with this much torque. I know, I've heard people say they live fine, but I've seen too many of them blow up behind a Pontiac, which makes the kind of torque you're talking about. No big block cars came from the factory with TH350 (as far as I KNOW). Of course, there are exceptions to everything, especially in this "game".

calgary_redneck
06-05-2005, 09:21 PM
im decide which trany to get, it needs to handel 550 lbs.-ft. and keep the price under 2 grand, it needs either an overdrive for an auto or a economy high gear for a manual, i dont really care if its a man or auto,

any suggestions

Turbo 350 or 400 is your best bet on a budget.

Add your comment to this topic!