How good of mechanics are you guys?

fearsomefairmont
05-02-2005, 08:15 PM
Howdy all,
I was just wondering what all of you typical street racers have for mechanic experience. I hear alot of suggestions about motor swaps, internal work, etc. but how many guys actually do it themselves?

I have done alot of work, built several engines from ground up (2 SBF's, SBC, and Olds 455.), a transmission (ford toploader 4-spd), and swapped ALOT of engines and transmissions, 10 to be exact, and including two import front-drive swaps (a major PITA).

I know some guys on here do their own work, but by the same token there is alot of talk about bolt-ons. Tell me your opinion! I hear alot more do-it yourself from the domestic crowd (albeit, many of them are redneck hacks from TX) but that just might be related to the complexity of the typical import engine and fuel injection.

Come on, brag about your mechanic exploits or lack therefore! This kind of work seems to be integral with the street racing crowd.

Cheers,
Andy

dampachi
05-02-2005, 08:36 PM
I can do pretty much everything but transmission work..but since I lack a garage..I can do barely anything on my own.

CivRacer95
05-02-2005, 09:48 PM
I tried to change my spark plugs 2 weeks ago. And here I am now, my car's about to die, there's the probability that I threw a rod in my motor, I have no money to fix it, and as of now, I can't drive anywhere. I should be working at Ford right now I tell ya...K, that was uncalled for, but I had to do it :biggrin:

Drifty
05-02-2005, 10:03 PM
ill admit i can give good mechanical advice but to actually perform the service i suck

TheStang00
05-02-2005, 10:04 PM
i havent actually done any major work, but id like to.

nissanfanatic
05-02-2005, 10:13 PM
I feel comfortable doing pretty much anything on my car now. Its never been to a shop since I bought it except for tires. Obviously because I don't have the equipment to do that stuff. I just follow the FSM. Works every time.lol And keep my work area immaculate. I can't stand working in a mess.

http://nissaninfiniticlub.net/photopost/data/500/19378engine_overview3-med.jpg
http://nissaninfiniticlub.net/photopost/data/500/19378Front_facia.jpg
http://nissaninfiniticlub.net/photopost/data/500/19378Left_corner.jpg

A little ghetto, but that is the result of $6.50/hr. I have did a lot since those pics. In a week, I'll be ordering a tuned ECU so I can utilize my 615cc injectors and my 300ZX MAFS. Then its 10psi time. After that, I'm gonna start collecting internals for my project engine that is in pieces right now on the engine stand.

Everyone should list their age as well. I'm 18.

Neutrino
05-02-2005, 10:41 PM
moved to non specific

RaidenKing
05-02-2005, 10:53 PM
I have been trying to get into a mechanics class at the local votec but they cancelled me twice due to lack of interest in the class.
As of now I'm self taught and have just done really basic things such as replaced an old air box with a cone filter, removed a resonator and messed with the exhaust a little.

Thourun
05-02-2005, 10:55 PM
Basic bolt ons, nothing inside the engine realy cept plugs have I done which were cake compared to the horrendously siezed fill plug on my transaxle. I Would love to get a chance to learn... biggest problem is acess to tools, I think I'll take a class at the local tech school this summer. I'm 20

chevytrucks92
05-02-2005, 11:07 PM
I can tear down the engine in my car. I would be a little skittish about trying to install the piston rings, but as far as tearing it down to the block, I have no trouble. Same for putting it back.

Of course, its a race engine with no accessories whatsoever (even got an electric motor to turn the water pump) and its a small block chevy, so there's not a whole lot to it, lol.

Mr. Luos
05-02-2005, 11:14 PM
Gonna be swapping a new motor into my Trans Am this spring/summer.

drftk1d
05-02-2005, 11:25 PM
I just follow the FSM. Works every time.lol

DOES IT! FSMs rock the mad house!

I did intake installs on my friends car, but the true test of my mechanic mettle will be my swap soon. shouldnt be too hard

"I am your average hotrodder DIY mechanic - cam swap, bring it on"
if i wanted to vote that option how can i? wtf is a cam?

Twizted_3KGT
05-03-2005, 12:47 AM
If I could vote I would go for the last one I can do it all, I haven't done it all, but I can and will :grinyes:. I have yet to breakdown an engine of my own (did one at school w/ a partner) but i'll do that on my Formula and rebuild my old automatic transmission from the SL as soon as I buy my VR4 this summer. My cars only see a shop when I need an alignment, not even for tires, i'd rather put the car on jack stands and bring the wheels...cheaper that way :)

Officer Redneck
05-03-2005, 02:13 AM
Anything 1990 and older I can do. This new shit with all the computers just sucks. Ever tried to change the plugs in a 97 Blazer? They should teach a class in just that!!!

-The Stig-
05-03-2005, 02:38 AM
After working for an entire summer to get my first car running (years ago), only to have it break down on me. And repeatedly break down on me... I stopped liking working on cars.

I'd much rather spend the money and have it done... and be able to drive it and enjoy it.

Although, if need be... I'll tackle a project. But I like having somebody around to talk to at least... hate working alone. I get bored and end up going inside to play videogames.

youngvr4
05-03-2005, 03:06 AM
oil changes and tuneups, thats about were it ends with me

rvrebel
05-03-2005, 08:34 AM
I feel comfortable rebuilding anything on the cars I've had. Don't have a lot of experience when it comes to body work or fabrication. You learn fast when your first car was a 1969 AMC Rebel ;)

Hypsi87
05-03-2005, 08:39 AM
well seeing how I am a diesel technician that is ASE certified... I am not afraid to do anything. Except for passenger car valve bodies on an automatic trans. As long as I have my tools. I am ready to tackle anything.

-Josh-
05-03-2005, 08:53 AM
I feel like i could do anything, i'm still learning to rebuild automatic transmissions but i feel like i could do anything you throw at me.

Manny_boy
05-03-2005, 11:03 AM
Bring it on I can tackle (most of it). I can't rebuild a tranny, but I can swap one. I'm not ASE certified or anything, But I've been working on cars since I was 17, I'm 34 now.

I learned a lot when I swapped a 350 from a '76 seville into my '85 Toronado, which at the time had a busted 307. I had help though. My dad has been a mechanic for 45 years;
he helped me unbolt the hood and flip it onto the roof of the car, and he pumped the engine hoist for me, then politely said, "you're on your own". :icon16: I was officially inducted into the world of gearhead.

Polygon
05-03-2005, 12:30 PM
As long as I have the tools and the time I will try it.

GTStang
05-03-2005, 01:30 PM
well seeing how I am a diesel technician that is ASE certified... I am not afraid to do anything. Except for passenger car valve bodies on an automatic trans. As long as I have my tools. I am ready to tackle anything.

You deisel pansy!!!!! :smokin:

Motor rebuilds, auto tranny rebuilds, manual tranny, transfer case, rear-end done it all.

Don't do much wit anything not V8 RWD but I could they all need to do the same thing just do it in different ways.

christophv
05-03-2005, 01:56 PM
oh well, in theory I could easily bore cylinders and change some pistons with some camshaft work afterwards...

but in reality, I just changed my whole exhaust yesterday and it took the whole afternoon :/

I guess I'll get another old car (one I don't rely on) and learn sth

TatII
05-03-2005, 02:25 PM
the first time the turbo was installed, i had help, now i must've pulled the manifold and turbo and downpipe and all the other stuff off my car atleast 3 times. i can do simple stuff on the streets like big brake conversion, putting on intakes, changing spark plugs, pulling seats out, and install basic guages and such. but when i'm at the shop i can change clutches, shocks, springs, exhuast, headers but sometimes i get stuck and i would need my boss to help me. other then that, i've done alot of stuff, i've never changed a timing belt though cause i know its bitch and i would much rather pay someone else to do it. and i've never pulled an engine out, but i know its not that hard with the right tools.

clawhammer
05-03-2005, 02:41 PM
I'm rebuilding the engine in my MR2, but before that I've never done anything major other than like oil changes, or brakes. I really learned a lot taking it apart. Now I just hope i'll be able to put it all back together.

Steel
05-03-2005, 03:43 PM
the first time the turbo was installed, i had help, now i must've pulled the manifold and turbo and downpipe and all the other stuff off my car atleast 3 times. i can do simple stuff on the streets like big brake conversion, putting on intakes, changing spark plugs, pulling seats out, and install basic guages and such. but when i'm at the shop i can change clutches, shocks, springs, exhuast, headers but sometimes i get stuck and i would need my boss to help me. other then that, i've done alot of stuff, i've never changed a timing belt though cause i know its bitch and i would much rather pay someone else to do it. and i've never pulled an engine out, but i know its not that hard with the right tools.

Fppt. Timing belts aren't hard. Maybe on VW diesels, where you need special tools, but they arent hard.

I feel confident enough to day, i can do anything you throw at me, it just might take me a while, seeing as i don't have too much especrience. But as long as i have my tools with me, i shouldn't have too much of a problem.

nissanfanatic
05-03-2005, 03:53 PM
No actaually changing the timing chains on his car are a PITA. Not so much with the engine removed, but in the car, its a horrible job. Once again, wheres that FSM?lol

TatII
05-03-2005, 04:55 PM
nah nissan i wasn't talkin about the timing chain. i'm talkin about timing belts in general. some cars are harder then others. single cam cars are pretty straight forward, but the most annoying part is removing all the pulleys, and removing the covers, and lining up all the marks it looks very annoying to do on a mazda mpv. and the prelude v-tec's are also a bitch to do becasue they have a counter balancing shaft and that needs to be lined up too.

Zgringo
05-03-2005, 05:54 PM
Well being I've been playing with cars and bikes for 55+ years, and started by building my own cars from the ground up. Being the 1st car I had was a 30 Model "A" Ford with a model "B" 4 banger with a Raja OHV conversion kit, homemade stroker crank, hand ground cams and a V8 converted distributor for a 4 cylinder and a LaSalle 3 speed floor shift that would go 90MPH down hill with alittle tail wind, a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then.
I remember in 1955 a guy named Wally Parks invited us Eastern boys, Art Malone, Don "Big Daddy" Garlic, Connie Swangle, Jimmy Nix and myself to come out to California and do battle with the West coast boys. They had a new orginazation called NHRA and they'd pay us $100 for expense money to show up.
I had a home built dragster with a 48 Merc flathead converted to a Arden OHV engine. I got smoked by a new 55 Chevy V8 dragster. Needless to say, when I (we) got home I pulled my engine and dropped a new Chev V8 in my car. That car is now in a museum.
Art Malone went on to Sprint car racing, Don "Big Daddy" made drag racing history, Connie drove a AA/F for Don a few years, Jimmy Nix was into Pro AMA motercycle racing and myself I was learning to fly the new jets for Uncle Sam. After Korea and VietNam I resigned my commision and returned to drag racing, mostly as a consultant.
Now 55 years later I drive a car on the street that would rip my first dragster a new ass.
I remember the first time Don set a new world record with a AA/F supercharged nitro burning Hemi in the 9's@172MPH. But you got to remember, that was done with a car that was hand built in his garage behind his house with very few parts from parts houses.
So how good a mechanic am I? Wanna race a old man and find out?

-The Stig-
05-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Well being I've been playing with cars and bikes for 55+ years, and started by building my own cars from the ground up. Being the 1st car I had was a 30 Model "A" Ford with a model "B" 4 banger with a Raja OHV conversion kit, homemade stroker crank, hand ground cams and a V8 converted distributor for a 4 cylinder and a LaSalle 3 speed floor shift that would go 90MPH down hill with alittle tail wind, a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then.
I remember in 1955 a guy named Wally Parks invited us Eastern boys, Art Malone, Don "Big Daddy" Garlic, Connie Swangle, Jimmy Nix and myself to come out to California and do battle with the West coast boys. They had a new orginazation called NHRA and they'd pay us $100 for expense money to show up.
I had a home built dragster with a 48 Merc flathead converted to a Arden OHV engine. I got smoked by a new 55 Chevy V8 dragster. Needless to say, when I (we) got home I pulled my engine and dropped a new Chev V8 in my car. That car is now in a museum.
Art Malone went on to Sprint car racing, Don "Big Daddy" made drag racing history, Connie drove a AA/F for Don a few years, Jimmy Nix was into Pro AMA motercycle racing and myself I was learning to fly the new jets for Uncle Sam. After Korea and VietNam I resigned my commision and returned to drag racing, mostly as a consultant.
Now 55 years later I drive a car on the street that would rip my first dragster a new ass.
I remember the first time Don set a new world record with a AA/F supercharged nitro burning Hemi in the 9's@172MPH. But you got to remember, that was done with a car that was hand built in his garage behind his house with very few parts from parts houses.

no...

Hypsi87
05-03-2005, 07:24 PM
You deisel pansy!!!!! :smokin:

Motor rebuilds, auto tranny rebuilds, manual tranny, transfer case, rear-end done it all.

Don't do much wit anything not V8 RWD but I could they all need to do the same thing just do it in different ways.

pishh, that coming from a 5.0 guy :rolleyes:

panzy???? last engine I worked on the pistons where the size of your engine..... :smokin:

kris
05-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Do it for a living.

-Josh-
05-03-2005, 09:18 PM

Bring it old man!! :evillol:

No not really... :uhoh:

RedLightning
05-03-2005, 09:42 PM
"Comfortable with average bolt ons/basic maintainence work"

^thats me.

chevytrucks92
05-04-2005, 12:06 AM

LOL. Well, only if its a Bracket Race! And we can only run the 1/8th! lolol.

Officer Redneck
05-04-2005, 12:18 AM

Hell no!!! I did a lot of reading on "Big Daddy" Don in high school. I think I read about the race you talked about first. You older guys have a lot of info to pass on to us younger guys. Keep'um turning. :cheers:

Zgringo
05-04-2005, 02:23 AM
LOL. Well, only if its a Bracket Race! And we can only run the 1/8th! lolol.

Matt,What do you mean 1/8th mile? Haven't you ever read the Bible?
It say's, "In the beginning God created the 1/4 mile", and it don't say one thing about Bracket racing.

RedNeck383 (Matty) Whats with this NO shit? I'm so old I fall asleep at the lights half the time, an the other half, I forget to put my car in gear.
Besides anyone who uses the line, "Nice shoes, wanna fuck" has to have something going for them besides pickin up gals.

streetrcr45
05-04-2005, 02:46 AM
^^^^^HAHAHAHAHAAH^^^^^

that thread was hilarious

dampachi
05-04-2005, 03:19 AM
jesus, zgringo is fucking hardcore. and he's 70 years old!

chevytrucks92
05-04-2005, 08:39 AM
Matt,What do you mean 1/8th mile? Haven't you ever read the Bible?
It say's, "In the beginning God created the 1/4 mile", and it don't say one thing about Bracket racing.

LOL. Well I guess I should start going to church then!

CivRacer95
05-04-2005, 09:09 AM
jesus, zgringo is fucking hardcore. and he's 70 years old!

Nah, he's just a 20 year old trapped in a 70 year old body.

Zgringo
05-04-2005, 02:37 PM
Just to set the record straight i'm 69 (hehehe) and won't be 70 till June 14 (Flag day) and anyone that don't send a birthday card, be warned, I have a room full of electrical and fuel system gremlins I've collected over the years and I'll turn these little cock suckers lose on you.

CivRacer95 Chris, Your pretty close to the truth, It's my racing and love for car's thats never aged. I've really been blessed, as I've got to be part and see racing from the beginning to now, were you guys only get to read about it. You guys only get to see the last 10 minutes of a movie, were I got to see the whole fuckin thing.

Chevtrucks92 Matt, Yo Mama would be proud to hear you've become a Bible thumper. I've got another Bible quote for you, " Ya thou I walk into the valley of racing, I'll fear no one else, cause I'm the fastest, baddest and best there is, Amen".

Dampachi Tim, The man upstairs, the big boy had a talk with me about you. He's conserned about you and wants me to teach you humility and humble you. I said, like right, he's from back east and eastern buttheads are unteachable, and he said, "No my son, I want you to go to him with love and understanding, take him by the hand and goto a track and proceed in kickin the living shit out of him. I want you to spot him 5 seconds then humble his sorry ass and make him one of us".

Redneck383 Matty, Only thing I can say is quit spending so much time Muff diving an eating greasy fuckin fast food. Get a second job making prono movies. You have a camera now, put it to good use and make money with it and build the car of cars.
Something like the following:

http://img145.echo.cx/img145/7052/zcarbigwheelsblown3wmedited6do.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

chevytrucks92
05-04-2005, 03:42 PM
" Ya thou I walk into the valley of racing, I'll fear no one else, cause I'm the fastest, baddest and best there is, Amen".

Now that is pretty awesome!

-Josh-
05-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Just to set the record straight i'm 69 (hehehe) and won't be 70 till June 14 (Flag day) and anyone that don't send a birthday card, be warned, I have a room full of electrical and fuel system gremlins I've collected over the years and I'll turn these little cock suckers lose on you.

CivRacer95 Chris, Your pretty close to the truth, It's my racing and love for car's thats never aged. I've really been blessed, as I've got to be part and see racing from the beginning to now, were you guys only get to read about it. You guys only get to see the last 10 minutes of a movie, were I got to see the whole fuckin thing.

Chevtrucks92 Matt, Yo Mama would be proud to hear you've become a Bible thumper. I've got another Bible quote for you, " Ya thou I walk into the valley of racing, I'll fear no one else, cause I'm the fastest, baddest and best there is, Amen".

Dampachi Tim, The man upstairs, the big boy had a talk with me about you. He's conserned about you and wants me to teach you humility and humble you. I said, like right, he's from back east and eastern buttheads are unteachable, and he said, "No my son, I want you to go to him with love and understanding, take him by the hand and goto a track and proceed in kickin the living shit out of him. I want you to spot him 5 seconds then humble his sorry ass and make him one of us".

Redneck383 Matty, Only thing I can say is quit spending so much time Muff diving an eating greasy fuckin fast food. Get a second job making prono movies. You have a camera now, put it to good use and make money with it and build the car of cars.
Something like the following:

http://img145.echo.cx/img145/7052/zcarbigwheelsblown3wmedited6do.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

My god you're so old you know god!!!! I have to say though (ass kissing about to happen) I've always looked up to the older generations, the one's who were the original hot rodders, with admiration. You guys paved the way for us youngens and made racing what it is today, i think i speak for everyone when i say thank you. May we all be buried with our favorite hot rods when we pass, actually i want them to put me in my car and drive me off a cliff while lighting it on fire and getting the speed i'm going up to about 100 mph and then blow me up...that's what i want my funeral to be like...heh...oh yes thank you old timer.

CivRacer95
05-04-2005, 04:30 PM
I just sent you a check for $50 U.S. Dollars. I hope that gets you over here to America. We need more "experienced" old timers like yourself here in the USA. If that check doesn't make it to you by the end of this week, then that means some other Gringo took it, and is living the lavish life there in Mexico. Hope to see you here in America soon :wave:

drftk1d
05-04-2005, 05:51 PM

"teaching humility" meaning not runnin 11s? :lol2:

:icon16:

Zgringo
05-04-2005, 06:51 PM
"teaching humility" meaning not runnin 11s? :lol2:
:icon16:

Be nice, Tim's good people. Good for what, I don't know, but I'd like to see him running in the 10's. Then his whole life will change. He'd be able to bad mouth the ricers with authority.

dampachi
05-04-2005, 07:23 PM
I am good people. Honest. :(

GTStang
05-04-2005, 10:10 PM
pishh, that coming from a 5.0 guy :rolleyes:

panzy???? last engine I worked on the pistons where the size of your engine..... :smokin:

That's rich.... A GN guy squaking about piston size pffff..... :rolleyes:

Hypsi87
05-06-2005, 07:59 AM
That's rich.... A GN guy squaking about piston size pffff..... :rolleyes:

LOL thats rich a mustang guy popping off about piston size.....

My pistons are the same size as a 305 GM LOL so that is close to a 302.... which is very close to the same size as a 302..........

GTStang
05-06-2005, 02:42 PM
LOL thats rich a mustang guy popping off about piston size.....

My pistons are the same size as a 305 GM LOL so that is close to a 302.... which is very close to the same size as a 302..........

Your still 2 short :evillol:

One of ya GN bortheren knows the error of his way hence the TT SBC in his GN :smokin:

benchtest
05-07-2005, 05:24 AM
Been at it for 26 years. ASE certified. Past technical advisor to Ford Consumer Appeals Board. Drag racer at heart...GSXR1100 or Mustang. Worked on most everything from dump trucks to jet boats to dragsters.

As a side note: there's a Superflow flowbench and a go-power dyno in the garage (ought to put that dyno together someday).

Zgringo, glad you're still enjoying your
"20's"! Sounds like a great ride. I've met a few of the elite racers and visited the Rocketsports shop, but never raced with them. Keep on racin'!

Zgringo
05-09-2005, 03:00 AM
Been at it for 26 years. ASE certified. Past technical advisor to Ford Consumer Appeals Board. Drag racer at heart...GSXR1100 or Mustang. Worked on most everything from dump trucks to jet boats to dragsters.

As a side note: there's a Superflow flowbench and a go-power dyno in the garage (ought to put that dyno together someday).

Zgringo, glad you're still enjoying your
"20's"! Sounds like a great ride. I've met a few of the elite racers and visited the Rocketsports shop, but never raced with them. Keep on racin'!Damn I wish you lived closer, it would be fun to have someone with half a brain to hangout with. I have to travel so far to see anyone.
I have a flowbench, thanks to Sears (Craftsman) and my engineering background. I built it myself and it was in Car Craft magazine as a DIY project. Your dyno, is it a engine or chassi?
I don't consider myself an elite racer, but just a guy that gets to run with the faster group. My wins I savor, and the losses, use as a learning experiance.
My belief is, "the difficult I do immediately, the impossible takes alittle longer".
I'll be retiring from drag racing this year, and I think I'll return back to road racing as I still love drifting at 150 MPH plus. No sponsers, just me on my time and buck.

benchtest
05-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Zgringo, well... I posted last night, but it's not here! Strange. Anyway, it's an engine dyno. Belonged to the high school at one time. I'm not even sure it's been used. What issue of CC is your flow bench in? They are an invaluable resource. Could be called a BS separator. :)

You appear to be a big 'Z' fan. What one(s) do you race? What class? Someday I'd like to try road racing, but it will be a while yet. Gotta get the new shop built so I have some work space again. Amazing how junk accumulates. There is a guy in town I know that has a 240Z. It's a street/drag car. 499 Chrysler power with a blower. He finally decided wheelie-bars would be good after dechroming the bottom of his bumper!

Good luck with your racing, and keep us all updated.

Add your comment to this topic!