Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Self Tune Up

metall_guitarist
05-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Sooooo...how hard is it to change spark plugs/wires on the v6 vortec? I've changed spark plugs before but as far as getting to the plugs, how difficult is it? Also what else should I do tune-up-wise while I'm doin this project? My service light went on and I found out it was a missfire, and I see other people's trucks are missing. Is there a known problem with sonomas that cause this or is it just a fluke? I have a 96. Thanx!

blazee
05-02-2005, 05:53 PM
It isnt hard at all, but it does require a little extra work. The easiest way is to jack up the side you are working on and go through the wheel well. To get to the #3 plug (middle one on the drivers side) you will need to remove the intermediate steering shaft. It seems like a pain in the ass, but it will save you a lot of problems and scrapped knuckles. There is one bolt holding the shaft at the bottom. Loosen the bottom and then the shaft will collapse into itself.

A complete tune-up requires:

AC Delco platinum plugs
Wires
Distributor Cap
Rotor
Fuel filter
Air filter
PCV valve

Remove, Clean and Reinstall with new gasket:

EGR valve
IAC valve

You should also flush and refill your fluids.

rear diff
front diff (if 4wd)
transfer case (if 4wd)
antifreeze

You should also replace your rad cap with a "Stant" brand.

blazee
05-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Another cause of misfires are clogged injectors or poppit valves. I usually use Techron Injector Cleaner. I put in two bottles and top off the tank. Most of the time it isn't recommended to do double shots of injector cleaner, but a bottle of Techron cleaner only does up to 12 gallons. So two bottles for a full tank isn't a dangerous concentration.

metall_guitarist
05-02-2005, 07:25 PM
Awesome..thanx a bunch!

metall_guitarist
05-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Thanx a bunch..I'll write all of this down and get to workin on it. Is your 96 Impala on cardomain? I'd like to see some pics of it. Your blazer too actually, they sound pretty sweet. Thanx again for the help though.

Add your comment to this topic!