Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Problem

Vondollo
05-02-2005, 10:07 AM
I was just wondering if Blazers like my 98 are known for "eating" fuel pumps. I think I have to change it but it is pricey and need more suggestions to my no start problem. It seems a lot of posts on this forum are sayng the pump gets replaced a lot. could there be a fuel pressure regulator on these vortecs or just a sensor on the plenum? and if ya tell me to read more in the forums I am sorry to frustrate those who would be. But i am continuing reading in the forum right now....thanks in advance! I am a n00b.(newbie)

rksnc
05-02-2005, 10:35 AM
There is not alot of repair to be made on the vortec side. Most of the parts are not replaceable as the other kinds of systems. Vortec demand good fuel pressure. You can have 40lbs and will not start. It is a high pressure system. The biggest thing I know of is people running tanks low on gas. Man this will get a pump in a hurry. Pump will run dry, picks up trash and water. If your fuel prssure regulator was to be bad, inside the intake you would see where it has wash the area clean near the regultor.

BlazerLT
05-02-2005, 05:39 PM
I was just wondering if Blazers like my 98 are known for "eating" fuel pumps. I think I have to change it but it is pricey and need more suggestions to my no start problem. It seems a lot of posts on this forum are sayng the pump gets replaced a lot. could there be a fuel pressure regulator on these vortecs or just a sensor on the plenum? and if ya tell me to read more in the forums I am sorry to frustrate those who would be. But i am continuing reading in the forum right now....thanks in advance! I am a n00b.(newbie)

Ever changed the fuel filter?

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to the first postion before start?

BlazinUP
05-02-2005, 07:42 PM
yes i can attest to the change that fuel filter offton!!!! im changin mine at the reccomended interval of every 10k miles........
iv had plenty of probs related to a clogging filter....
iv noticed my pump whines louder as the filter gets clogged.....so loud you can hear it from a few cars away (when it was really bad)
now and when the filter is new...
the only sound i hear is a highpitched hummm and a high pressure hiss.....and only when i put my head near the tire or tailgate.

BlazerLT
05-03-2005, 12:16 AM
yes i can attest to the change that fuel filter offton!!!! im changin mine at the reccomended interval of every 10k miles........
iv had plenty of probs related to a clogging filter....
iv noticed my pump whines louder as the filter gets clogged.....so loud you can hear it from a few cars away (when it was really bad)
now and when the filter is new...
the only sound i hear is a highpitched hummm and a high pressure hiss.....and only when i put my head near the tire or tailgate.

10,000 miles is too soon to change a fuel filter.

40,000 miles is a smart interval for normal daily use. Just make sure you buy from a quality fuel station and keep your tank filling to stop any rust happening from condensation inside of the tank.

BlazinUP
05-05-2005, 09:46 PM
i never had to change the filter so fast before....
infact iv had new cars that i sold with over 100k
that i never had to change a ff........
but i recently had to change it in less than 10k
plus....it actually does say to change the ff at 10k right on it..... according to purolator.

all i know is.....as soon as i hear my pump whine...
im goina to change the ff......regardless of millage.
id rather change the 14$ fuel filter....every 10k or so....than 500$ for a new pump.......maybe just me

BlazerLT
05-05-2005, 11:08 PM
i never had to change the filter so fast before....
infact iv had new cars that i sold with over 100k
that i never had to change a ff........
but i recently had to change it in less than 10k
plus....it actually does say to change the ff at 10k right on it..... according to purolator.

all i know is.....as soon as i hear my pump whine...
im goina to change the ff......regardless of millage.
id rather change the 14$ fuel filter....every 10k or so....than 500$ for a new pump.......maybe just me

You don't go buy the filter's manufacturer's interval, the service interval is 40k.

Also, A fuel pump is about $150, I don't know where you got US$500.

BlazinUP
05-07-2005, 08:13 PM
I don't know where you got US$500....
for the pump/labor/and whole fuel assembly(float and new metal lines)

Add your comment to this topic!