Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

clear a computer code

liranyafa
05-02-2005, 09:39 AM
my car show misfire on cylinder #6...
it was fixed ...and the code still show
somone told me to reset the computer..and the code will not show again.

meistermind
05-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Resetting the commputer wil clear any stored codes. You can just disconnect the battery+ for a couple minutes, but of course you will need to reset your clock and radio stations. Or, go to Autozone and have them (for free) read the codes- and then ask them also to clear them. Most code scanners can easily read and clear the codes. This will only work so long as the problem or no other problems still exsit. If there's still a problem, either the "check engine" light will stay on, or come back on in a short amount of time.

Be advised, that some auto manufactures' computers store certain special codes that lesser model code scanners cannot read. Autozone could say that there are no codes stored for them to clear, but there really is. I have encountered this with Dodge vehicles, but not GM... so far. If this is the case, go to someone with a more professional scanner- if you need to verify the light is on with no codes.

Carwhiz
05-05-2005, 11:42 AM
Autozone's scantool will read any code that is showing IF the check engine light is on. I'll prove it if i have to.

Add your comment to this topic!