Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starting Problems...

MunG35
05-02-2005, 01:48 AM
My moms 97 Quest wont start... unles syou leave it in batt mode for like 2 minutes.

If you try to do it immidiately.. it has the same effect as when you try to start a car without a battery.

The negative terminal cabling is white and blue with some frosty looking stuff which i can assume is rust or oxidation.... any comments on what I should do or what else could possibly be the prob?

Dont know why it gets the juice to start if i let it stay in the ON mode for 2 mins...

help me out!!!

Thanks in Advance!

QuestOverload
08-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Sounds like you have some battery acid crud on the connections. Sometimes they can get so bad that it will act like there's no battery because there isn't, it's basically not connected. I'd run a battery terminal cleaner over the posts and on the cable ends, put a little dielectiric grease on the posts, and put the little felt washers on before I bolted the cables back on. Every Quest we've had has had problems with crud building up on the battery cables, and a good cleaning & greasing will fix it, but the felt washers almost stop the buildup.
HTH

Add your comment to this topic!