Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rough Idle

Pages : 1 [2]

BlazerLT
05-25-2005, 12:52 AM
List what you have done to this point.

freddie cosme
05-25-2005, 01:11 PM
List what you have done to this point.
Cap rotor, wires, plugs, fuel filter, air filter cleaned the egr, iac, cleaned maf sensor

BlazerLT
05-25-2005, 01:23 PM
I would take it to the dealer and have them hook it up to a tech2 computer so they can monitor the sensors.

How many miles on it?

freddie cosme
05-25-2005, 11:44 PM
I would take it to the dealer and have them hook it up to a tech2 computer so they can monitor the sensors.

How many miles on it?
I have 85000 miles on it. I took it to a shop they said I need injectors after talking to the tech he said all I really needed were two but the shop wants to sell me all six. He told me its not hard to do but we were interupted (service manager) so we could not finish our conversation. I guess what Im trying to figure out is if the injectors are under the plenum or what?

BlazerLT
05-25-2005, 11:51 PM
Did they give you the codes to tell you which two were acting up?

Have you run a strong dose of fuel injector cleaner through it yet?

blazee
05-26-2005, 07:16 AM
The injectors are inside the intake. Most of the time Techron will clear up injection problems. Usually the poppet valves are the problem not the injectors, but they are sold together so I don't think you can replace just the poppets.
If you do need to replace the injectors, I would recommend that you look into the new updated MFI system, it does away with the poppet valves and all the problems associated with them. I have a service bulletin with info about the MFI and installation instructions that I can email to you if you want it.

BlazerLT
05-26-2005, 01:02 PM
The injectors are inside the intake. Most of the time Techron will clear up injection problems. Usually the poppet valves are the problem not the injectors, but they are sold together so I don't think you can replace just the poppets.
If you do need to replace the injectors, I would recommend that you look into the new updated MFI system, it does away with the poppet valves and all the problems associated with them. I have a service bulletin with info about the MFI and installation instructions that I can email to you if you want it.

He needs to know which injectors to replace. There should be codes for each of them.

A whole injection system replacement would be a little expensive when compared to a couple injectors.

blazee
05-26-2005, 02:18 PM
I only suggested that he look into it as an option. According to the prices I got from www.GMpartsdirect.com (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/) it would cost $76.72 more to get the whole updated assembly. I would gladly pay that to not have to worry about it anymore. I'm not sure if that will be the total or not, but that is the price for everything listed in the procedure.

Price to replace 2 injectors
Replacement injector...$44.21
Total........................$88.42

Price of updated injector assembly
MFI assembly.............$147.98
MFI mounting bracket...$17.16
Total........................$165.14

freddie cosme
05-26-2005, 11:33 PM
He needs to know which injectors to replace. There should be codes for each of them.

A whole injection system replacement would be a little expensive when compared to a couple injectors.
injectors 2 and four

freddie cosme
05-26-2005, 11:34 PM
I only suggested that he look into it as an option. According to the prices I got from www.GMpartsdirect.com (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/) it would cost $76.72 more to get the whole updated assembly. I would gladly pay that to not have to worry about it anymore. I'm not sure if that will be the total or not, but that is the price for everything listed in the procedure.

Im very interested I will look into it!!!!!!!

freddie cosme
05-26-2005, 11:53 PM

do you have a part number and foward me the tsb

blazee
05-27-2005, 07:00 AM
do you have a part number and foward me the tsb I need your email address to send you the TSB. If you don't want to post it here, you can send it to me in a PM. The TSB has the part numbers.

bigdinz
05-28-2005, 09:15 AM
I'm super curious as to what the outcome is. Mine is idling rough too! 98LT2WD with 120,000. I also have ticking/tapping under load and start-up. I'm doing an engine flush today!

BlazerLT
05-28-2005, 02:44 PM
I'm super curious as to what the outcome is. Mine is idling rough too! 98LT2WD with 120,000. I also have ticking/tapping under load and start-up. I'm doing an engine flush today!

Have you ever done a tuneup?

Changed your fuel filter?

bigdinz
05-29-2005, 12:29 AM
Have you ever done a tuneup?

Changed your fuel filter?

Oh yeh, definitely. At around 100,000. Changed all spark related stuff, fuel filter and pcv. I also use fuel cleaners regularly. I have regretably extended a few oil changes so I figured that would be the best for the engine anyway and a good place to start. I also bought a new fuel filter just to see. This winter the ticking was pretty bad but not so much since it has warmed up. The engine cleaning is where I'll start!

Thanks LT!

BlazerLT
05-29-2005, 01:34 AM
what about the cap and rotor?

What plugs did you use?

blazee
05-29-2005, 05:52 AM
What kind of oil filter are you using? Fram filters will cause noisy starts.

bigdinz
05-29-2005, 07:30 AM
What kind of oil filter are you using? Fram filters will cause noisy starts.

Yes, cap & rotor. Plugs--i dunno. platinums. yes, fram oil filters. where the heck do you get something different? and what kind? I am flushing the motor now. I am using GUNK and I let it run for 10 minutes(twice what it said). I know someone said 30 minutes but I was too scared to let it go that long. castrol gtx oil.

bigdinz
05-29-2005, 07:32 AM
I have K&N air filter and clean it & re-oil it often.

blazee
05-29-2005, 08:07 AM
I prefer the Napa Gold oil filters you get them (of course) from Napa. They are made by WIX. WIX is a well known name, their filters are well made, very high quality and I have found them to give quieter start-ups than AC Delco. If the filters carrying the WIX name were available in my area, I would buy them, but they're not so I settle for the Napa version.

AC Delco is another good filter to use.

If you use a Fram filter get the X2, it is made better than the other Fram filters. I used to use these before I swtiched to Napa Gold. I also have quieter start-ups with the Napa than I did with the X2.

BlazerLT
05-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Never use fram oil filters.

bigdinz
05-29-2005, 11:06 PM
FRAM is so huge! How can they be bad if they are so popular? What is it that makes them bad? I don't get it.

Thanks for the replies!

BlazerLT
05-29-2005, 11:56 PM
FRAM is so huge! How can they be bad if they are so popular? What is it that makes them bad? I don't get it.

Thanks for the replies!

This is the inside of a proper oil filter.

http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/wix60-e.jpg

And this is a Fram Extra Guard piece of shit.

http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/frameg-b.jpg

Only Fram you can instal is the Extended Guard.

All the rest is mass produced shit.

bigdinz
05-30-2005, 05:54 AM
If you're going to sell me on something other than FRAM you're at least going to have to show me the same views of each. I still can't see why the other is better. Is it the inside (that I can't see)? Trust me, by no means am I trying to be an A$$ here but I truly don't see anything that makes FRAM that bad?! I appreciate your views and your thoroughness of trying to make me see what you do!!

Thanks Again!

blazee
05-30-2005, 06:06 AM
If you're going to sell me on something other than FRAM you're at least going to have to show me the same views of each. I still can't see why the other is better. Is it the inside (that I can't see)? Trust me, by no means am I trying to be an A$$ here but I truly don't see anything that makes FRAM that bad?! I appreciate your views and your thoroughness of trying to make me see what you do!!

Thanks Again!

Here you go:
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Don't see what makes it bad?? ......it's made out of cardboard.:eek7: All other filters are made of metal.

What you can't see.... is that the anti-drainback valve is shitty. The anti-drainback valve leaks. allowing oil to drain out of the top of the engine when you shut it off, this means that everytime you crank your engine while using a FRAM....it dry starts. The dry start causes tremendous wear and the tapping and rattling you hear at start-up.

bigdinz
05-30-2005, 06:14 AM
Here you go:
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Don't see what makes it bad?? ......it's made out of cardboard.:eek7: All other filters are made of metal.

What you can't see.... is that the anti-drainback valve is shitty. The anti-drainback valve leaks. allowing oil to drain out of the top of the engine when you shut it off, this means that everytime you crank your engine while using a FRAM....it dry starts. The dry start causes tremendous wear and the tapping and rattling you hear at start-up.

THANK YOU! That wasn't so hard. Are you a teacher? Well, you should be! That is just what I needed to hear. After this oil change I will find a replacement!

Again, Thank You blazee!!

blazee
05-30-2005, 07:30 AM
You're welcome. :)

I suggest you go with the WIX or NAPA Gold. They have an awesome anti-drainback valve. You can read about all the different filters in the link that I posted. BTW that link says that WIX and AC Delco's By-Pass valves may possibly leak.....no worries there, the filters for our engines don't have the by-pass valve.

Kurai
05-30-2005, 12:37 PM
Fuxx.

I had my oil changed last week after I got my truck, and the filter they put on was a Pennzoil, which is apparently the same as one of those crappy FRAMs.

Now I get to have my filter changed again. >_<

BlazerLT
05-30-2005, 02:17 PM
Easy, just remove the Fram, replace it with a good one and top up the oil as needed.

Best to check the oil when hot and the engine has been turned off for 5 minutes to get the true level.

blazee
06-03-2005, 06:51 AM
Im very interested I will look into it!!!!!!!
Any progress in the last week?

bigdinz
06-03-2005, 07:08 AM
Any progress in the last week?

My ticking has seemed to stop. At least for now. The idle also seems to be smoother but there is still some roughness to it. I am happy of the outcome this far. The motor flush really helped! Now I have a leaky radiator. It seems to be at the top where the "plastic" is.

freddie cosme
06-05-2005, 04:51 PM
:grinno: :grinno: Sorry I have not updated..... (VACATION) I will be installing the new injector set up later today and I will let you know

freddie cosme
06-07-2005, 12:06 AM
:smokin: Just put in the new replacement fix injectors (courtesy of blazee recomendation) and I gotta tell you its the way to go!!! For the price of this kit you gotta be a fool not to go this route. THANKS!!!!!!!!We have been going back and forth on this issue and I feel we have covered alot and I have learned alot. My Thanks to all!!! Oh by the way kudos to blazerlt on that hood hinge thread that also was a concern of mine

blazee
06-09-2005, 05:02 PM
I'm glad to hear that you got it fixed.

Did you have to get anything other than the bracket, assembly, and intake gasket in order to convert it?

Add your comment to this topic!