Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Axle Seal broken

abid32
04-30-2005, 11:27 PM
Couple of weeks ago, I discovered that transmission oil is leaking in my 2001 Nissan Altima. I went to local mechanic. After checking he refused to repair it as saying "I know seal is broken but root cause is elsewhere and I don't know what is that."

Then I took my car to dealer. They changed the oil seal. Next day I found that it leaks again.They changed it again. then same old story the seal is broken again.

If anybody has the same problem and know the solution let me know

Thanks
Abid32

JustSayGo
05-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Maybe your local mechanic found that the axle wobbles at the seal??? If so, he is correct and the dealer is proving him correct each day that they do whatever it is that they are doing to your car. Your Nissan can't be the only one that has this problem. The dealer can get information from Nissan. If the root problem causes the axle to wobble around, the problem more than likely has to be badly worn differential carrier bearings. There is no way that a seal will stop the leak. Are you still covered by the Nissan drivetrain warranty? Find out. 100,000 miles is not uncommon. Are you the original owner? The people on the service island are not the ones to ask about warranty coverage. Be the first one in line at your dealer on Monday morning. Look and act profesional yet irrate (you should be) get out of your car and speak loud enough for every Nissan automobile owner in line behind you hear that you are here again because they can't repair the car they sold you. The last thing the dealership needs is negative publicity presented to other owners that will be continueing to back up as they are late getting to work. Each owner, family and friend waiting in line has a problem with their Nissan or are waiting to pay too much for service and inspection. Get creative. Get an attitude and enjoy your performance. Tell the entire audience that you were in the process of purchasing a new Nissan until this experience with Nissan service. What is so difficult about replacing an axle seal any way? Don't offer your ideas, let them explain why. Tell them you are considering buying a Honda. Even Hyundai must know how to fix the cars they sell. And your kids won't be buying a Nissan either. The dealer owes you a loner or rental car charged to their credit card while they are going to school useing your car. Don't pay for a rental upgrade, taxes, or accept the smaller rental car. Create a situation where it takes money out of the dealer's pocket as they fail to repair your car. Don't give in to the warranty won't cover your repair trick after they have it dissassembled and give you the option of paying for the repair, paying for the inspection and reassembly, or just leaving the car apart. The dealer can get Nissan to pay to replace your transmission and axle keeping future Nissan new car purchasers happy. Nissan wants and needs satisfied customers. We are their future. I believe we are talking about a $2000+ repair. Should you give them one more chance, even if you already know the result will be the same? Two or three more trips to your dealer and days with out your car should make this tactic easy. It was for me a few months ago with an auto trans in a 2001 car. My daughter finally received a new transmission at no charge and all of the failed diagnostic charges were refunded. If you don't ask, they won't offer you anything.

altimaracer
10-20-2005, 01:00 AM
i have the same problem, i thought it was the rubber bushing at the end of the cv axle so i replaced it , the leak was gone then came back a hour later after driving it, i looked under the car and it was leaking so i decided to try to push the cv axle back into the transmission a little more and it went away ,so my conclusion is (still workin on it) is that i broke the pin off into the transmission that goes on the end of the cv axle , and also when i pulled the axle out it just kind of fell out there was no pressure on it at all, so i think im screwed ,but im going to double check the axle this week to see if thats what really happen but hope this helps

Add your comment to this topic!