What's a Yugo?

CA31_JR
04-08-2002, 05:19 AM
What's a Yugo when it's in the garage? I'm from Oz and we don't get those here...

Ssom
04-22-2002, 02:49 AM
Thats odd we got em here in New Zealand.......................

MaximusGTR
01-30-2003, 05:30 PM
What's a Yugo?

Short for Yugoslavia, I think, because I've never heard about that car here in the States

Jay!
01-30-2003, 05:36 PM
http://www.hszk.bme.hu/~oj002/yugo/

MaximusGTR
01-30-2003, 05:57 PM
Wow, after viewing those cars, I don't wanna know what a Yugo is after all:rolleyes:

Hudson
01-30-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by MaximusGTR
What's a Yugo?

Short for Yugoslavia, I think, because I've never heard about that car here in the States

I'm assuming you're young. The Yugo was sold in the US from 1985 until 1991. They were the least-expensive new cars sold with a starting price of $3,990 in for the 1986 model. They weren't much more expensive in 1991.

MaximusGTR
01-31-2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Hudson

I'm assuming you're young. The Yugo was sold in the US from 1985 until 1991. They were the least-expensive new cars sold with a starting price of $3,990 in for the 1986 model. They weren't much more expensive in 1991.

they must be extremly rare, I've never seen one of those on the road. However, 4 grand is cool for a beginners car thats brand new, but then that was not that cheap back then I assume

Hudson
01-31-2003, 09:26 AM

they must be extremly rare, I've never seen one of those on the road. However, 4 grand is cool for a beginners car thats brand new, but then that was not that cheap back then I assume

The weren't "extremely rare" in the late 1980s and early 1990s...but as time has passed, there are fewer of them around. They were never quality vehicles and had a higher than average failure rate. It also never helped that they were sold as an alternative to a used car and people who buy low end cars do not typically take care of their cars (regular tune ups, oil changes, etc).

Yugos are still around and you can pick up a "nice one" for well under $1,000.

Cbass
02-10-2003, 04:22 PM

That was very cheap, even then. In the early 70s, it wouldn't be, but by the 80s, inflation was in full swing.

Saying that they had a higher than average failure rate is a nice way of saying they were among the least reliable cars ever made :D

MaximusGTR
02-14-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Cbass

That was very cheap, even then. In the early 70s, it wouldn't be, but by the 80s, inflation was in full swing.

Saying that they had a higher than average failure rate is a nice way of saying they were among the least reliable cars ever made :D

So a Yugo with 100,000 miles is just a POS basically:confused:

YellowMaranello
02-14-2003, 01:33 PM

So a Yugo with 100,000 miles is just a POS basically:confused:
A Yugo is a POS even before the 100,000 miles.

MaximusGTR
02-15-2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by YellowMaranello

A Yugo is a POS even before the 100,000 miles.

Thats messed up:D

taranaki
02-15-2003, 02:20 PM
given the choice between my 1987 Toyota diesel and a Yudon'tgo,I'd stick with the diesel.:bandit:

Cbass
03-02-2003, 01:20 AM
If the world had never been blighted by the Trabant, I would say the Yugo is the poorest automobile made in the last 50 years. I think they stopped making those $250 Buckboard cars in the 40s.

Most would consider a Yugo a POS the moment it left the factory, and one with 100,000 probably needs everything replaced for the 3rd time :hehehe:

Taranaki, whats wrong with a diesel Toyota? It's bloody bulletproof!

MaximusGTR
03-03-2003, 01:20 AM
, I would say the Yugo is the poorest automobile made in the last 50 years.

:thumbup:

Ringo
03-03-2003, 07:42 AM
What I do not understand is why they were ever sold in the US, that is a car for the ultra tight city streets of Europe. If an American car crashed into one, it would be like hitting a mailbox. The surly Janitor at my high shool drove me home once in his red one, it is really plastiky and rattly inside, and the engine screamed at 30 mph!.:D

MaximusGTR
03-03-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Ringo
What I do not understand is why they were ever sold in the US, that is a car for the ultra tight city streets of Europe. If an American car crashed into one, it would be like hitting a mailbox.

and the engine screamed at 30 mph!.:D

LOL

SiRI
03-03-2003, 01:43 PM
I was talking to a close friend of my uncle and he had a brand new Yugo back in the days. He said once he hit 10k miles it started to rattle... Oh yeah, If there were a passanger in the car while going up a hill, they'd have to get up and walk or the car wouldnt make it.

Now if that isnt pathetic tell me what is.. :hehehe:

MaximusGTR
03-04-2003, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by SiRI
I was talking to a close friend of my uncle and he had a brand new Yugo back in the days. He said once he hit 10k miles it started to rattle... Oh yeah, If there were a passanger in the car while going up a hill, they'd have to get up and walk or the car wouldnt make it.

Now if that isnt pathetic tell me what is.. :hehehe:

oK NOW THATS JUST REDICULOUS:rolleyes: :D

Ringo
03-05-2003, 02:43 PM

LOL

LOL? why does everybody say that, what does it mean?

swedish
03-05-2003, 02:50 PM

LOL? why does everybody say that, what does it mean?

Laugh Out Loud, indicating something is fairly funny to that person.

Ringo
03-05-2003, 02:59 PM
Ah! ok thanks, I would have never deciphered that.:bloated:

2strokebloke
03-06-2003, 09:57 AM
People think the Yugo was a horrible car - they keep forgetting that it cost $4000 when the average car sold in the U.S. cost $11,000 - you get what you pay for! For $4000 it was not a bad car - certainly not any worse than the 1986 Hyundai that cost exactly $1000 more! - but you don't hear about how bad those were very often.
I know somebody who had one for 180,000 miles - then it was rolled and totalled on the highway.
They earned a reputation for being unreliable because owners neglected to have the timing belt replaced at 30,000 miles - when it snapped the engine was ruined. So no - the Yugo wasn't unreliable - just poorly maintained by most.
One thing though - it is CHEAP! - and I mean that as in poor fit and finish cheap - but then again no worse than the more expensive 1986 hyundai.

Ringo
03-06-2003, 11:30 AM
2strokebloke, you hit the nail on the head!:) I agree with you 100%.
Mostly everyone here is a car fanatic, so they admire hp, looks, quality. When they see a car like a Yugo that has none of those traits, they squirm is disgust. The big point they are missing though is that The Yugo was not designed for the US market, or any world market that has a rampant population of V8 machines. It is designed to be cheap transportation for Europeans. If I lived in Europe and wanted a small practical car that was easy to park, extremely affordable, that was a fuel sipper I would get a Yugo. Just wait for gas prices to rise again, we are going to see a tsunami of Yugos coming to the states.

Cbass
03-06-2003, 12:23 PM
It is designed to be cheap transportation for Europeans. If I lived in Europe and wanted a small practical car that was easy to park, extremely affordable, that was a fuel sipper I would get a Yugo.

One word, Trabant.

I'm a car nut, I love all cars, with the exception of the Trabant, even the Yugo. I have had experience with the RWD Hyundai Pony, and they were excellent cars, except their Mitsubishi made engine leaked oil :)

MaximusGTR
03-06-2003, 07:06 PM

I have had experience with the RWD Hyundai Pony:)

I didn't know they were RWD, you could do dounuts in a pony?:hehehe:

Hudson
03-06-2003, 09:24 PM
Actually, you DO hear about how early Excels were poor quality cars. But the Hyundai Excel was a (marginally) higher quality car than the Yugo. There were a few Yugos that flipped their odometers (over 100,000), but there were a higher percentage of Hyundais that did it. One of the things pointing to the higher quality of the Excel (besides the JD Power surveys) was the fact that Yugo sales peaked (in the US) at around 50-60k in their first year; Hyundai sales peaked in their third year at over a quarter of a million Excels.

Hyundai learned from their mistakes by improving their build quality and their products. Zastava (the maker of the Yugo) didn't improve very much...and the NATO bombing of their plant didn't help either. It'll be interesting if they've improved much in the past dozen years when the cars return to the US later this year.

Jimster
03-06-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Hudson
. It'll be interesting if they've improved much in the past dozen years when the cars return to the US later this year.

I still think it's funny that you guys have to put up with them coming back :D

If they come here I am seriously shifting back to NZ:eek:

Hudson
03-07-2003, 10:29 AM
In the US, there are a number of entrepreneurs who believe they can make a fortune importing cars and unloading them on the American public. It was done in the 1940s and 1950s...and worked. We got VW, MG, Triumph, BMW, etc...that way.

In the 1960s, Malcolm Bricklin and his associates did a similar thing; they imported the Subaru 360. When the 360 went sour on the American market, they turned up the heat on Fuji Heavy Industries (the maker of Subaru cars) and they got the Subaru "Star"...known in the US as the FF-1. It sold well enough to keep the brand going. Subaru now actually builds vehicles in North America and is doing quite well.

Bricklin sold his stake in Subaru of American and went on to build his own car (1974-76 Bricklin), but it failed. In the 1980s, he acquired the rights to import the Fiat 2000 Spider (Pininfarina Azzura) and Fiat X1/9 (Bertone X1/9) when Fiat withdrew from the market. His new company also gained the rights to import cars from Zastava of Yugoslavia and Proton of Malaysia. The Yugo was introduced in the US in August 1985, the Proton was never imported. Yugo America folded in 1991.

Now, he's back. He wants to import the Zastava cars again, this time calling them ZMW (Zastava Motor Works). I don't expect the cars to sell nearly as well as they did in the 1980s.

Bricklin's not alone in this desire. There have been people in the past 5-10 years who have announced that they were going to import cars and trucks from all over the world and sell them in the US. We've been told that we would be able to buy the ARO from Romania, the UAZ from Russia, and the JPX from Brazil, among others. I've even heard talk of the Russian Volga coming and the Russian Oka has been announced to be available in the US this year.

While people complain that the Nissan Skyline GT-R, TVR, and McLaren F1 aren't/weren't offered in the US, the American market is one of the most competitive and is THE market for any major manufacturer to be in (of the world's largest makers, we don't have Peugeot-Citroen and Renault, unless you count Nissan). I'll let you international guys know what happens to ZMW (and Oka, if you care).

2strokebloke
03-07-2003, 10:38 AM
First off Bricklin only imported the 360 because Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru) terminated production of their "rabbit" motorscooters. Since he no longer could sell them he made an agreement to import Subaru cars.
True the 360 wasn't recieved well (though it should have been) but the FF-1 was first imported during the 360s biggest year of sales (1969).
Yugo sales peaked during their second year in the U.S., and were about the same for their first and third year. Bricklin actually left Yugo America in 1987, and in 1989 Yugo America went bankrupt. Zastava was then in control of importing until 1991.
I know of plenty Yugos that have reached and exceeded 100,000 miles. The most common problem with them, would be that the owners would neglect to have the timing belt replaced every 30,000 miles. So you can go into junkyards and find plenty of Yugos with only about 35,000 or so miles on the clock - all of them died when the timing belt (which should have been replaced) broke ruining the engine.

Hudson
03-08-2003, 02:58 PM
Actually, it was Bricklin's job to sell the Rabbit's already in the US. After that, he dove into Fuji's catalog to see what else he could sell for them. The "Star" was what he wanted but they offered the 360; a car wholly incompatable with the products already on the market. Consumer Reports is usually given the responsibility for sinking the 360 in the US.

2strokebloke
03-08-2003, 05:51 PM
I've been wanting to talk to Bricklin for years now, last year I got lucky and got into contact with Harvey Lamm, who took over SoA when Bricklin left in 1971. So here's the story.
Bricklin sold a couple thousand Lambretta motorscooters, that suposedly nobody wanted. When those were gone he turned his attention to importing the Fuji Rabbit scooter. In 1968, production of the rabbit was terminated, so Bricklin went to Japan to attempt to convince Fuji Heavy Industries to resume production. Instead he was offered a chance to become the sole importer and distributor of Subaru's automobiles. The agreement was to buy 10,000 subaru 360 cars, which he did. In all just about 12,000 subaru 360s would be imported. He began to import the FF-1 in late 1969, after Consumer Reports' "journalism" did the 360 in.
In 1971 he left SoA but remained a stockholder.
I also talked to the man who owned the docks where 360s were unloaded from ships and stored, it was the same place where Volvos fo the western U.S. were stored, so a good friend Bob Sinclair was also able to provide some information too.
I still hope to be able to talk Bricklin, Harvey wasn't thrilled to be talking about the 360, and left many questions unanswered because he didn't know all what Bricklin had done before he became CEO.

Sean
03-16-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by 2strokebloke
I've been wanting to talk to Bricklin for years now, last year I got lucky and got into contact with Harvey Lamm, who took over SoA when Bricklin left in 1971. So here's the story.
Bricklin sold a couple thousand Lambretta motorscooters, that suposedly nobody wanted. When those were gone he turned his attention to importing the Fuji Rabbit scooter. In 1968, production of the rabbit was terminated, so Bricklin went to Japan to attempt to convince Fuji Heavy Industries to resume production. Instead he was offered a chance to become the sole importer and distributor of Subaru's automobiles. The agreement was to buy 10,000 subaru 360 cars, which he did. In all just about 12,000 subaru 360s would be imported. He began to import the FF-1 in late 1969, after Consumer Reports' "journalism" did the 360 in.
In 1971 he left SoA but remained a stockholder.
I also talked to the man who owned the docks where 360s were unloaded from ships and stored, it was the same place where Volvos fo the western U.S. were stored, so a good friend Bob Sinclair was also able to provide some information too.
I still hope to be able to talk Bricklin, Harvey wasn't thrilled to be talking about the 360, and left many questions unanswered because he didn't know all what Bricklin had done before he became CEO.

I'v been trying to think of something clever to say for the past five minutes about people studing car history, economy car history in perticular, but I give up.

Hudson
03-16-2003, 09:17 PM
There are many people who study car history. If you're interested in it, check out www.autohistory.org.

JGribin
11-04-2003, 04:21 PM
My parents and I have had a succession of cars over my life. The first car they ever bought was a new 1965 Volkswagen Beetle. They drove that until 1975, when they bought a new Mercedes-Benz 240D. That was an amazing economy car, getting excellent fuel economy, combined with running for 437k miles before breaking down for the first time That was in 1985. in 1980 my parents bought another car for my mom, because they both needed a car, they got a Subaru. My parents sold the 240D to my aunt, who ran it until 1990, 510k. In 85, my mom and dad bought a Mercedes-Benz 300D. In 1988, with 262k miles on it, two of the Subies motor's rods tunnelled their way free because my mom acidentally shifted from third to first(!). The oil caught fire and that was the end of that car. We had not budgeted money for a car then so we bought a Yugo. I still remember that car... more on that in a moment. The Yugo timing belt had been replaced regularly, but in 1995 the job was skipped due to a) a lack of parts, and b) a lack of time... whats a couple of thousands of miles? A lot, because the timing belt snapped. Due to that happening, and the 300D being 10 years and 617k miles old, they decided to replace both cars. We went to the Mercedes-Benz dealership. They offered us a token $1 for the Yugo and $5k for the Mercedes. Cool. We bought two 1995 MBs, a C220 and a E300D, both pricinply stripped, except the C220 had climate-control, regretably. As usual, the AC for the E300D lasted until 2000. The C220s lasted untill 1998, but to hell with it we never use it anyway. I got the C220 with 125k on it for 2001 and my mom got an Audi A6. My dad still is driving the E300D which has 410k on it last time I checked. I put a large Turbo on my C220 which I got out of a friends Saab.

Anyway, my automotive history is to account for the large amounts of driving my family does. The E300D sould reach 1 mil cause my dad hates the new one. POS comparatively. Also, I want to point out that in addition to a Yugo, we have generally also owned the best cars out there (Mercedes)

The Yugo was a nice car. It did not have the build quality of the Mercedes. Nor should it have. These were all old school Mercedes, built to be the best with price set after cost was figured, not like the POS engineered to a price cars you see today. We beat the living hell out of those cars... we all have lead feet. But the Yugo was a solid peice of machinery. SOLID. The car's body was like a tank. The gauge of metal was very thick. It was not well screwed to together in some places, and it caused rattles, but the body was not one of those places.
It gave us a good 230k miles of extremely reliable service. It only broke down twice. It probably could have gone further.
The jokes that I have read in this thread about them being POS cars, about not lasting a long time, about flatening like a cardboard box in an accident... they are all not true. I had a friend who got hit by a Ford Explorer at about 45 MPH. The car was totalled, but my friend kicked out the door, and walked away. 230k is an impressive mileage for a $5k car. Breaking down twice is not impressive, but its not POS territory. I have a friend with a Kia Sedona that has broken down way more than that. We might have bought another one if they had been around. We always liked solid cars, and in 1995 the C220 was simply the cheapest one out there. Volvos 240 was out of production then.

-Car_Freak-
12-17-2003, 07:39 AM
What's a Yugo?

Short for Yugoslavia, I think, because I've never heard about that car here in the States Yugo does stand for yugoslavia but its a mark of zastava factory. the cars vere wery popular here(i can tell im from croatia) and they are still made today but in small numbers. The cars arent anything like mercedes or bmw but they sure are better than polish fiats and some ladas etc.

pac4life
02-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Hey dont slag on Yugos so much. Sure they are pretty unreliable but they're coming from a war torn country thats still trying to recover. I should know, im Bosnian.

i-is-in-da-house
02-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Dude, yugos rock, they are the car of my country. how can u now know what it is.

YUGOSLAViA Rox

igjuro
04-27-2013, 06:11 AM
http://www.cars-10.com/photos/198-Cars-That-Are-Notorious-For-Being-Unreliable/Yugo-01.jpg
This is YUGO!
Photo credit: http://www.cars-10.com/2010/05/cars-that-are-notorious-for-being-unreliable/

kingyugo
03-12-2017, 06:30 PM
I've seen them. basically, they look like that VW hatchback shrunken down into a two door. they are very basic.

Add your comment to this topic!