Spinning noise under hood - help?

Kato99
04-29-2005, 01:28 PM
On my 2000 Jimmy SLT, there is a spinning noise under the hood in front of the driver. The spinning noise only happens in the morning when I drive the first 3-4 miles, then after it is warm, it doesn't happen the rest of the day -- any idea??? thanks for any help

blazee
04-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Sounds like you are talking about the cooling fan. It is completely normal for them to make noise. Your vehicle a clutch fan, when first started the fan is locked in, causing it to turn full force.(This causes a lot of noise) After it warms up the clutch will allow the fan to slip, so that it only blows enough air to keep the engine cool and the noise will stop.

Kato99
04-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Hey Blazee - one more thing: I don't hear the noise until I put it in gear (reverse or drive). If I put it back in park, I don't hear the noise -- thanks for any sguuestions or if you still think it is the fan. thanks for helping out a Jimmy "newbie".

blazee
04-29-2005, 02:24 PM
Do you believe it is a result of putting it in gear or because you pressed the accelerator?

I ask because the sound of the fan becomes more pronounced when engine speed increases. (like when you begin to press the accelerator to leave)

The fan will make a loud spinning, blowing noise. If this isn't what you are hearing, then something else may be the culprit.

Kato99
04-29-2005, 02:35 PM
I hear it when I put it in gear - Usually the first thing I do in the morning, is back out of the driveway, and I hear it when I put it in reverse with my foot on the break. Then when I go foward I still hear it for the first 3-4 miles and then it is gone. Not realy loud, and it doesn't come back during the day, even after sitting for 5 hours before lunch or when I head home --thanks for any thought

JimmySLS
04-29-2005, 07:48 PM
I would have to agree with Blazee on this one..It sounds like your cooling fan..Mine does it first thing in the morning and after that it will not do it again ..

BlazerLT
04-29-2005, 11:44 PM
I hear it when I put it in gear - Usually the first thing I do in the morning, is back out of the driveway, and I hear it when I put it in reverse with my foot on the break. Then when I go foward I still hear it for the first 3-4 miles and then it is gone. Not realy loud, and it doesn't come back during the day, even after sitting for 5 hours before lunch or when I head home --thanks for any thought

Are you talking about a squealing noise?

Kato99
05-02-2005, 08:27 AM
Are you talking about a squealing noise?

I think it sounds like a spinning noise - it only happens in the morning, when it is in gear and does sound like to gets louder as I push on the gas peddle -

Kato99
05-02-2005, 08:28 AM
I would have to agree with Blazee on this one..It sounds like your cooling fan..Mine does it first thing in the morning and after that it will not do it again ..

I think you guys are right about the fan -- were you able to do anything to decrease the noise?

BlazerLT
05-02-2005, 05:33 PM
I think you guys are right about the fan -- were you able to do anything to decrease the noise?

It's more like a whooshing wind noise.

Yea, it is the cooling fan.

Add your comment to this topic!