Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ac wont work

atv087
04-29-2005, 09:29 AM
i had circuit city change my stereo in the late fall and put a cd player and 4 speakers in
whats the chances that they pinched a wire or something behind it because my ac wont work and i have a feeling theres a short somewhere in my car because it keeps killing batteries and altinators
any chance their connected?
if not what should i check out for both?

thanks

Hansnet
04-30-2005, 12:39 AM
whats the chances that they pinched a wire or something behind it because my ac wont work and i have a feeling theres a short somewhere in my car because it keeps killing batteries and altinators
any chance their connected?

wtf does that mean?

Yes to answer what I think you are trying to ask is yes you must replace the alternator with the battery and vise versa or the old part will kill the new one either way. Always do them in pairs if you replace either.

atv087
05-02-2005, 09:59 AM
ok i replaced the battery and altinator at the same time and now everything seams to be in top working order again. Now my ac still does not work i pulled apart the whole dash and there are no pinched wires i pushed over the thing in the trunk and its blowing cold air but i think its outside air is there anyway i can tell if the compressor is coming on?

Hansnet
05-02-2005, 08:35 PM
ok i replaced the battery and altinator at the same time and now everything seams to be in top working order again. Now my ac still does not work i pulled apart the whole dash and there are no pinched wires i pushed over the thing in the trunk and its blowing cold air but i think its outside air is there anyway i can tell if the compressor is coming on?

It will "tick" and the idle will drop or go up.

atv087
05-03-2005, 10:16 AM
doesnt do that tick or anything, pulled off the cover for the master fuse center or whatever it is called and theres no blown fuses it looks like the compressor is right there. Any ideas what i have wrong?

atv087
05-03-2005, 01:22 PM
also i pulled off the thing on the dash that has the climate control on it and only one of those little vaccum hoses on the back have suction the purple one and the other 4 dont

Ofnarcr
05-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Check under the hood if you hear any hissing..

atv087
05-03-2005, 08:06 PM
where would i hear this hissing

Ofnarcr
05-06-2005, 04:29 PM
One of the hoses might of been off. My ac didn't work and i herd hissing and i found the hose, plugged it in and it worked.

atv087
05-06-2005, 10:46 PM
yea but when i move that thing on my dash from hot to cold it does nothing and if i unplug the back of it and put it on ac after moving that door under the dash i get sorta cold air but it feels like the ac compressor isnt going on

Hansnet
05-06-2005, 10:55 PM
yea but when i move that thing on my dash from hot to cold it does nothing and if i unplug the back of it and put it on ac after moving that door under the dash i get sorta cold air but it feels like the ac compressor isnt going on

It could very well be out of R-12/134 or a dead compressor. Both are common

atv087
05-07-2005, 09:01 PM
i had it tested its full and they said it blows out air but the compressor doesnt kick on

XGamesJ6
05-11-2005, 12:02 PM
the system could be clogged or something...with the engine on and the AC on max look at the fan belt system on the bottom towards the front of the car should be where the compressor is. you can see it spin when it clicks on. when its off u wont see it spin. just the idler around it... even then if it doesnt work try a retrofit. if it hasnt been done. and have a vacuum filled process done. if you feel its worth it.

eazystreat
06-04-2005, 01:39 AM
Dude,
You got some bad advice in this thread. You only replace your alternator if it's no longer charging. You need to find the low pressure switch and jump the wires to see if the compressor will run. Go from there.

kmohr3
06-04-2005, 09:07 AM
AC work is better left to the professionals or at least someone who is trained. Special equipment is needed to do the job right. Guages, vacuum pump, leak detectors for starters. Even if you can get the refrigerant into the car and get it working you still may have a leak that will have to be repaired. If you have a slow enough leak, you may get lucky by topping off or recharging. It depends how bad the leak is. It may last a year or 2 years or it may all leak out over night.

Checking the compressor is a good idea, though. Supply power to it somehow to see if it runs. Bypassing the low-pressure switch will work if it's a low refrigerant problem.

atv087
06-23-2005, 08:22 PM
ok back to square one again. Mechanic i go to has no f***ing clue whats wrong with my ac says its either pinched wire or bad compressor or the climate control unit. And that id have to pay him 500$ and leave it for a week for him to try and figure it out and then its not guarenteed that he will know whats wrong with it. Any thing i can do at home to try and fix this i heard the idle in the car change when i first turn the climate control knob but it blows out hot air. Any clue what i should do?

XGamesJ6
06-23-2005, 09:27 PM
Check the fuse for the AC, there should be one in the fuse panel somewhere, use the included sticker to find out which one and check it, theres also a relay that engages the AC compressor, if the fuse looks good then check the relay, When you turn on the climate control for MAX AC, the compressor will engage, and when it does it will put a considerate amount of load on the engine, so it kind of idles down at first. If all fuses and relays look good then check fuses for climate control, if any, you may just for the hell of it want to check all the fuses, one by one, just to ensure everythings workin. i say start from there. Sometimes the compressor doesnt click on if theres no pressure in the system, if all looks good, try recharging it, using a vaccum pump too, maybe go to a mechanic and have them do a quick little charge

kmohr3
06-23-2005, 10:07 PM
Any decent mechanic could put guages on it and tell you if it has a charge within 5 minutes, then you'd have a little more to go on... If it's low on charge then you have to add and check for leaks - if it has a charge then you can check to see if the compressor is running. If it's not then you would check for power at the AC clutch and work your way back. I would think a good tech would be able to give you a pretty good idea within an hour's time.

Try taking it to an experienced AC repair shop.

XGamesJ6
06-23-2005, 10:12 PM
By taking it to an experienced AC shop you could end up paying a lot of money, i recently fixed the AC in a cadillac, mechanic said that it need a whole new AC compressor/clutch, all i did was replace a 20 amp fuse, ac works better then ever

kmohr3
06-23-2005, 10:12 PM
Also, if it's an R-12 system I would convert it over to R-134A at the same time, being a 92 it may be R-12.

XGamesJ6
06-23-2005, 10:14 PM
in some rare cases ive heard, retrofitting the AC actually got them working again, i found it odd, but it seems to do the job for some people, either that or people are paranoid

kmohr3
06-24-2005, 06:13 AM
I'm not sure what that last comment meant, but if the system is R-12 it makes good sense to switch over to the newer R-134A refrigerant. The R-134A is more readily available, and so far much cheaper than R-12. Also, anyone can buy R-134A over the counter, whereas you must be MACS certified to purchase R-12.

As far as the success rate converting systems to R-134A - almost 100%. We have upgraded hundreds of systems. Any vehicle that had an empty system was repaired and upgraded to R-134A. It's cheaper for the customer and more environment friendly.

Sure, checking the fuses is a good idea, and easy to do, but not always the cause of the problem.

atv087
06-24-2005, 07:41 AM
fuses are all good i just got in from checking them is it possible that if i do the electrical thing with the paper clip under the silver thing that the hoses go it to it could work.

atv087
06-24-2005, 07:41 AM
fuses are all good i just got in from checking them is it possible that if i do the electrical thing with the paper clip under the silver thing that the hoses go it to it could work.

atv087
06-26-2005, 08:44 AM
is there a diode for the ac on this car and if not could i jump the fuse or whatever is under the dome

kmohr3
06-26-2005, 08:43 PM
I'm not sure about a diode on this car without looking at a factory wiring diagram. Also, I'm not sure what you mean jumping a fuse under the dome. Maybe you are talking about the low-pressure switch on the accumulator under the hood?? If so, jumping that switch may make the compressor come on, especially if the system is low on freon. That is basically the function of the low-pressure switch - to interrupt the flow of electricity to the compressor clutch when the system is low on freon. So if the compressor comes on when you do this it will not fix your AC problem but just signify that your system is low or empty. You will still, more than likely, have to deal with finding and repairing a leak.

atv087
06-26-2005, 10:07 PM
ok how would i jump the low pressure switch. If that does not work that means my compressor or the clutch or the climate control in my car is broken

kmohr3
06-27-2005, 06:18 AM
No! If jumping the low-pressure switch turns on the compressor it means your system is low on freon. Re-read my last post!

atv087
06-27-2005, 07:00 AM
i said how do i jump the low pressure switch because if that did not work that ment that my compressor or the switch in the dash the climate control died. Is it possible that when the radio was put in they shorted out the climate control?

atv087
06-27-2005, 04:19 PM
OK AC WORKS FINALLY!! i replaced the relay under the hood and it worked the clutch kicked on and it blew ice cold once again

atv087
07-03-2005, 07:32 PM
ac crapped out again clutch now stays engaged as long as the ac is on but it still blows warm tried replacing the relay again didnt do anything any idea what would cause the clutch not to cycle now?

XGamesJ6
07-27-2005, 01:45 PM
bad clutch, always engaged, the clutch needs to disengange so that the box by the fan in the dash doesnt frost over, if it does then you dont get cooling, it just cant blow air through, it sounds to me like your clutch has gone bad. in my car it clicks on, then off, then on, then off like every 3 seconds

Add your comment to this topic!