Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

california smog law question

matthias893
04-29-2005, 12:32 AM
can someone tell me if its legal in CA to change your catalytic converter from a front mounted position to one on the bottom of the car? someone told me it was illegal to move your cat, but i have a 1998 honda civic HX and im pretty much just changing it to the exhaust system of an EX.

superbluecivicsi
04-29-2005, 01:01 AM
the tech does not look under the car ;) put the cat anywhere. in the end, if you have no CELs and pass the sniffer, you will be fine.

PS: the cat is at the bottom of the car ;)

matthias893
04-29-2005, 12:18 PM
thats the problem though, my cat *isnt* under the car, its right under the exhaust manifold in the *front* of the car, like you life the hood and theres the exhaust manifold with the cat right underneath. is the inspector gonna look under my hood and be like "dude wheres your cat? Honda civic HX's have cats up in the front" Also whether or not the technician sees it, will it be illegal? that was my original question al though your answer was helpful.

superbluecivicsi
04-29-2005, 06:39 PM
the tech is concerned with the OBD2 diagnostic and the sniffer. he'll look under the hood, but, might not even notice if he is not fimiliar with the vehicle. isnt the hx manifold and cat integrated? anyways, where ever you put the cat, just make sure there are no CELs and the cat is good. if you keep those two in check, you will be fine. why do you want the cat relocated for?

matthias893
04-29-2005, 06:57 PM
the reason i want to relocate it is because i dont want to pay all that money for one single part that wont increase my performance, better to get a header, normal cat, and exhaust that im gonna get a performance increase from, and for about the same price because i have to go through honda to get the cat if i keep it the way it is now

Add your comment to this topic!