Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Radio with factory amp trying to replace

a17aron
04-28-2005, 06:52 PM
i am trying to replace the radio in my 98 eclipse that has a factory installed amp, and it will not work i have replaced tons of radios before but have never replaced one that has a factory amp does anyone know how to do this?

nova1313
04-30-2005, 02:33 PM
there is a kit availiable I know for the premium sound options that will allow you to use a non factory head unit with the amp/speakers

That site did have them before but seems to be dead to me now. Try it though. It was about half way down the page.
http://www.installer.com/cars/mitsubishi.html

Once you have the adapter it seems as if it's just plug it in and go. I was thinking of doing this myself but didn't get to it yet. No cash bummer....

bighauns
05-10-2005, 09:05 AM
For an 80 dollar bypass harness I would say just get rid of the stock amp and put that towards a new speaker amp when you buy your new deck. That is a waste of money.

nova1313
05-10-2005, 09:16 AM
For an 80 dollar bypass harness I would say just get rid of the stock amp and put that towards a new speaker amp when you buy your new deck. That is a waste of money.

I'm talking about the one all the way down

MITAH
1990-2002 Mitsubishi built cars with Infinity Systems

Direct plug in adapter to replace factory head unit or amp.
one of our most popular parts of all time.

That one doesn't seem to bad. But yeah if it's the 80 dollar one you really need then I'd say go for the new amp / speakers.. If you do that whatever you buy do not buy dual products.

bighauns
05-11-2005, 08:36 AM
Oh, I didnt see that one. Well, even still that is additional cash over top of the regual harness for a new head unit. I would say that is still isnt worth the trouble to go through it. That is just my opinion. An aftermarket amp would do wonders compared to that one.

Just my two cents.

BoNkA10
05-28-2005, 09:51 AM
What are the specs on that infinity amp? The model # on mine is MR158402, but can't find anything on google. I'm probably just going to have it ripped out and replaced with my own amp anyways.

bighauns
05-31-2005, 10:58 PM
That is the way to go, dont even bother with the stock thing...just get a new one.

fiberglasscivic
06-17-2005, 09:01 AM
It's a lot easier than using a wiring harness to bypass the amp. Use a line level converter to convert the output on your stereo work with your amplifier. They run about $15-$20 for one that will convert 4 channels. You run it inline with the speaker wires and it makes your stereo compatible with the factory amp. It's really easy.

tclarkmd
02-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Here's what I've learned about the factory Inifinity system:

Head Unit: attaches to amp via black 6-pin DIN cable (4 channels, pwr, gnd). MITAH and MITSRCVR adapters will change this 6-pin DIN cable into four (front L/R and rear L/R) RCA plugs and a "turn on lead" to go into after market amps. You'll likely also need LVT (low volt trigger) for other amps to signal power on.

Amp: Inputs: 6-pin DIN (4 channels, power and grnd)
Outputs: unknown specs, likely 100W/channel, attaches to speakers via white harness.
THE STOCK INFINITY AMP HAS HI PASS FILTERS FOR FRONT DASH TWEETERS AND LOW PASS FILTERS FOR FRONT DOORS BUILT IN!
Therefore, front door speakers are only mid/bass, with no highs. Keep your front dash tweeters if you use the stock amp and want highs up front. New tweeters (if yours are spent like mine) can be retrofit into covers if they are small (neo tweeters): http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-exterior-interior/213063-how-install-aftermarket-tweeters-2g-factory-dash-speakers.html

You can use wiring harness/adapter 70-7001 to create free wire ends for your speaker connections for an after market amp hookup. 70-7001 just plugs into your stock speaker wires' original white amp harness. You can do without the 70-7001 by just cutting the wires off the original amp harness/plug. <Do not confuse with 71-7001 (which creates new speaker wire hookups from stock amp)>
note: MITAH from installer.com also includes speaker wiring harness/adapter (70-7001). Other sellers (such as hifisoundconnection.com) do not inlcude this adapter in their MITAH adapter (MITSRCVR only)

Hope this helps somebody. It took me a while to piece it all together.

SilvrEclipse
02-05-2008, 03:15 PM
This thread is almost 2 years old. Please dont bring back old theads like this.

Welcome to AF

BasilRathbone
04-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Thank you FOR bringing back an "OLD" thread like this. This is just the kind of information I've been looking for! You say there are four audio pins plus power and ground? Are you sure the unit doesn't get power from the 18pin plugin cable? I was under the impression that the "power" pin was actually an "LVT" pin. I sure wish there was a schematic available for this puppy.

sglapa
04-16-2009, 10:48 PM
I second the comment from BasilRathbone. The Infinity receiver in my 1998 Eclipse just gave up the ghost, and this is priceless info to have!

thanks

Steven

Add your comment to this topic!