Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Check for broken timing chain

dugie6551
04-28-2005, 08:42 AM
I have a 1984, 2.8L carburated motor and it will not start.

It was running fine, then one day I went to back it into my garage and got it half way then it stopped completely. It will crank and I have drained 2 batteries trying to get it to start. It is getting fuel (replaced all lines, filters and fuel pump), it has spark (replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor).

So now I am thinking the timing chain may be broken. Is there a "quick" way to check without tearing down the front of the motor?

OverBoardProject
04-28-2005, 10:15 AM
You might have a little bit of oil hit the driveway, but pop the passenger side valve cover off and get someone to crank it over for a moment while you watch the valve train.

You can also just turn the motor over by hand just using the accessory belt. If it turns over easily then you have no timing chain left

hunter01
04-28-2005, 10:35 AM
Take the distributer cap off and have someone turn the engine over. Watch the rotor. If the timing chain is broken the rotor won't turn.

dugie6551
04-28-2005, 10:46 AM
You might have a little bit of oil hit the driveway ....

It may be a little difficult to notice a "small" oil leak because the rear main seal is leaking and there is oil pretty much everywhere !!! :lol: :rofl:

Thanks for the advice .. I will try both ways this weekend. If it is the timing chain, I would rather repair it then pay a mechanic to fix it !!! Of course the timing will probably be "off" but it's going in soon anyway, I'll let him do the timing. It will cost less cause I will do most of the labour !!!

blazee
04-28-2005, 10:59 AM
If you are getting spark at the plug wires the timing chain ain't broke.

Add your comment to this topic!