Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Classic Muscle Cars... Return.

pr0ject01
04-27-2005, 08:29 PM
Well, being bored today in school, I started looking around for concept cars on some of the major car companies that we all know and love today. Now.. Everyone knows that Ford, brought back the Mustang for the classic look.
http://www.tuningnews.net/news/040405/04.jpg

This is the concept model of the 2005 Ford Mustang. There are a few changes from the Concept car and the car that they actually returned. Now, im not sure if all of you decided to look this up or not.. but if you think about it throughout the whole time of making cars.. companies copy off of each other left and right. Now, guess what Chevy decides to highly start thinking of...
http://popularhotrodding.com/features/0312phr_fifthgen_04_z.jpg

Yep, if any of you can realize this look... and if you said Chevy Camero.. you are correct. If this is close to what the new camero will look like, this car will look so bad ass. Its still undetermined if it's officially going to be brought back or not, but everyone replying about it want it back. And with a car that looks like that? I dont blame them.

So there it is.. Chevy.. and Ford bringing back there old classic cars? But wait.. there's more! Now, im a DODGE Fan more than anything.. but lets see what Dodge has in mind for there new Classic Return.

http://popularhotrodding.com/features/0404phr_dodgeweb_03_z.jpg

New 2006 Dodge Charger.. Now, being a dodge fan highly, I have to say this. Im sorry, but I think that dodge could have formed a better looking Charger for 2006. Although, it's a fact that the Charger is returning.. but now your gonna have it just like the old times.. except brough back to life.

2005 Ford Mustang ???? Chevy Camero 2006 Dodge Charger

Let's wait and see who will outperform the other.

Ridenour
04-27-2005, 08:39 PM
I like the look of the '06 charger - all 3 cars very badass. Any idea of what the specs are on the camaro?

uranium235powered
04-27-2005, 08:47 PM
American auto-manufacturers should redesign their muscle cars and put them on the market. Muscle is probably one of the things which I really like from American car companies (no offence intended)...JDM quality is just too good to part away with.

But yeah, all these cars are badass. I really like the Camaro concept styling.

sivic02
04-27-2005, 09:14 PM
Are they going to have the classic muscle car era price? I want that camaro...mmm...sexy...

Muscletang
04-27-2005, 09:19 PM
http://popularhotrodding.com/features/0404phr_dodgeweb_03_z.jpg

:lol: :rofl: :lol:

We all know the thing didn't turn out to be this "bad looking" though when they started rolling from the factory.

Ace$nyper
04-27-2005, 09:21 PM
wow ford is the only one not to drop the ball here.

I think all the Old big blocks are rolling in their graves.

Andydg
04-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Just so you know that Camaro was made by a student for some class. It's not anything even affiliated with Chevy but I wish it was.

KustmAce
04-27-2005, 09:28 PM
So the American Big Three are officially out of ideas. Super.

clawhammer
04-27-2005, 09:47 PM
Probably the wrong forum. Not a big fan of the return of the muscle cars. GM should just let them die. They'll probably screw it up, just like the GTO.

Porsche
04-27-2005, 09:56 PM
Did muscle cars not originate by stuffing big V8's in otherwise wimpy cars? The only way to properly bring back the muscle would be a factory V8 Cavalier, Focus and Neon.

Fuck this 'sport compact' business, I'd probably drive a V8 Focus.

I like these designs, but it's too bad the charger looks nothing like the old one. Similar to the other opinions so far, I'd rather see the muscle car era put to rest and have something totally new ushered in, where are the flying cars already?

Ace$nyper
04-27-2005, 10:00 PM
Did muscle cars not originate by stuffing big V8's in otherwise wimpy cars? The only way to properly bring back the muscle would be a factory V8 Cavalier, Focus and Neon.

Fuck this 'sport compact' business, I'd probably drive a V8 Focus.

I like these designs, but it's too bad the charger looks nothing like the old one. Similar to the other opinions so far, I'd rather see the muscle car era put to rest and have something totally new ushered in, where are the flying cars already?
you've got a damn good point
the kit out for a v-8 into a focus does make me drool, I've seen a 350 in a neon before. And I guess you could call the SRT-4 an attempt to be a muscle car *goes fast in 1/4 gawdy cheap and pretty gutted out*

Porsche
04-27-2005, 10:14 PM
you've got a damn good point
the kit out for a v-8 into a focus does make me drool, I've seen a 350 in a neon before. And I guess you could call the SRT-4 an attempt to be a muscle car *goes fast in 1/4 gawdy cheap and pretty gutted out*

I've seen the V-8 Focus, and while it dosen't make me drool either, it's a start. While it won't happen, car makers need to take their wusspants off and put on the serious pants.

The SRT-4 was a decent start, but you need something retard, just economically stupid to get things going, like a $20,000 350+ hp Neon. The whole four cylinder notion when it comes to performance is like driving drunk, you could do it, but not well.

I'm well aware that we'll probably run out of fossil fuels at some very inconvienent point in the future, but assuming alternative sources gain momentum, I just really want to see a car with drive-shaft snapping power at a somewhat reasonable price, and I'd actually prefer if it was unsafe, like dangerously unsafe, we're getting too soft these days.

MBTN
04-28-2005, 01:01 AM
Wow that Camaro concept looks HOT.

GritMaster
04-28-2005, 02:07 AM
Have you not actually seen the new charger concept? it's a four door ugly POS. imo.
That's the mustang GTR btw, supposedly slotted for 2006 release.

pre98zetec
04-28-2005, 02:31 AM
IMO there's no such thing as a "muscle car" anymore....

porscheguy9999
04-29-2005, 09:48 PM
The other Mustang you could have added was the new Shelby GT500 Cobra. The GT-R Mustang is my favorite of these 3. The Charger looks great, but DCX had the wonderful idea of releasing this "muscle car" as a Hemi powered sedan. If they had plans of a new Charger Coupe, on the other hand, that would be a different story. But the one pictured just needs to be a little less angular. The Camaro just isnt doing it for me. But Chevy is in dire need to get a new muscle car, IMO, and the recently axed Camaro is the best solution. But they need to get the design just right (i.e. the new Mustang, selling like hotcakes) or else it will be a flop like its stablemate the GTO.

Mustang GT-R for racing purposes
new Charger Coupe
new Camaro that is designed to resemble the classic Camaro's of the 60's

beef_bourito
04-30-2005, 11:13 AM
The new mustang, I must say, looks hot. It takes a bunch of styling from the old ones and modernizes them a bit. The new charger looks nothing like the old ones, camaro is IMO the best one yet, it lookes just like the old one but a bit more curvy and a bit more modern, i've seen some pics somewhere on this site that look sweet. The new charger should be axed, they should go back to the drawing board and make it look somewhat like the old one.

YukiHime
05-01-2005, 01:37 PM
I thought the new "Charger" is not a 2-door...

beef_bourito
05-01-2005, 05:52 PM
i thought they had 2 models, i've seen pics of 4 doors and of 2 doors

Tony Stewart Fan
05-02-2005, 09:02 AM
The new Charger is much more practical than the previously posted pictures. Here's an article (http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0504/18/A01-153838.htm) about how well the Charger is doing so far.

Filthy Sanchez
05-24-2005, 03:51 PM
The new Charger is a four door as Daimler says "Look at GTO sales." to explain why they think the 2 door market is dead. I say look at the Mustang sales, it's just that GM got it wrong again. However if you'd have told me 3 - 5 years ago that there'd be a Shelby Mustang, a Hemi powered Charger, a new GTO, and a 427 Vette in the future I would've laughed my ass off and said you were full of it. I love the new Stang and would've loved to have seen a new Camaro unfotunetly GM seems to have dropped the ball on that one again, imagine that.

SniperX13
05-24-2005, 04:09 PM
I think, in the latest issue of MT, they were talking about how GM is going to bring the rear drive cars back, on like the zeta platform (not exactly sure) and how they are going to bring back the "Chevelle" and "Camaro" name. now, if they live up to the high expectations of those names, remains yet to be seen.

Filthy Sanchez
05-24-2005, 04:12 PM
I think, in the latest issue of MT, they were talking about how GM is going to bring the rear drive cars back, on like the zeta platform (not exactly sure) and how they are going to bring back the "Chevelle" and "Camaro" name. now, if they live up to the high expectations of those names, remains yet to be seen.

They were, but I think it was MT that said they just recently announced they were scapping those plans.

beef_bourito
05-25-2005, 08:45 AM
I just hope that whomever brings back classic names doesn't screw it up like pontiac

porscheguy9999
05-25-2005, 04:12 PM
Just wait fot the next GTO in 08' I think. That will be much more aggressivly designed and not a rebadged Holden.

Filthy Sanchez
05-26-2005, 03:09 AM
I just hope that whomever brings back classic names doesn't screw it up like pontiac

GM is notorious for that remember when they brought back the Nova which was a rebadges Toyota front driver, now the Malibu, Monte Carlo, and Impala. Remeber the Pontiac Tempest was a rebadges Korean car in the late eighties! The GTO is the closest they've gotten to actually getting it right!

porscheguy9999
05-26-2005, 04:30 PM
Desipite the fact that the GTO is a rebadged Holden Manero.

caleb56
10-10-2005, 01:47 PM
i heard that they were going to bring the challenger in to make it the 2 door version of the charger, and that it would get more hp.

Jaguar D-Type
10-12-2005, 04:53 AM
Yes, Dodge is going to make a new Challenger. I doubt that it will have retro styling.

Likely Challenger: Dodge prepping a rear-drive coupe to take on Ford's Mustang

RICK KRANZ | Automotive News

Posted Date: 6/13/05

DETROIT -- Watch out, Ford Mustang. Dodge is preparing a challenger.

In fact, it's likely to be called Challenger.

Chrysler plans to resurrect a respected name from the pony car era for a rear-wheel-drive Mustang fighter, industry sources say. The car is expected in 2009 on the LX platform, the basis of the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum and Charger.

"It is a two-door, essentially a competitor for the Mustang," says Catherine Madden, a production analyst for industry research group Global Insight. "They are really excited about it."

Madden says the sport coupe is planned to debut in 2009, when the next-generation LX vehicles are scheduled to be re-engineered and restyled.

"They would be able to make some additional investment in the platform, make some adjustments for that product" at that time, she says.

"The enthusiasm for that product," Madden says, is "very big."

Chrysler hopes to sell 60,000 to 70,000 of the cars a year, she says. An assembly site was not identified. Production of the 300, Magnum and recently introduced Charger is expected to fill Chrysler's Brampton, Ontario, assembly plant.

Chrysler officials are not talking about the car, but industry analysts say they are familiar with the plans.

Jim Hall, vice president of industry analysis at AutoPacific Inc., says he isn't sure Chrysler can pull it off. "They have a lot of stuff that has to be cleared off the table before they start playing around with that car," he says.

The redesigned 2005 Mustang has exceeded initial sales estimates. Ford expects to build 192,000 Mustangs this year [best sales year since 1994], and most retail units are selling at a price near the sticker.

The 1970-74 Challenger was Dodge's answer to the original Mustang, as well as the Chevrolet Camaro, Pontiac Firebird, Mercury Cougar, and AMC Javelin.

(end of article)

There aren't many Dodge Challengers on the road so I'll post this one. It is a pony car, not a muscle car (muscle cars are bigger).

This Challenger originally had a 318 cubic inch V-8, but the car was restored and now has a 440 6-Pack, a shaker hood, and a hurst pistol grip.

http://www.theraceforum.com/images/forum/3224-8-1.jpg

http://www.theraceforum.com/images/forum/3224-8-2.jpg

http://www.theraceforum.com/images/forum/3224-9-1.jpg

http://www.theraceforum.com/images/forum/3224-9-2.jpg

more news...

GM reverses course, says revised version of Zeta rear-drive architecture is back on track

Automotive News

9/12/05

DETROIT - Six months after General Motors halted plans to use its Zeta rear-wheel-drive car architecture in North America, the company has revived the program.

In an interview with Automotive News last week, Jim Queen, GM's vice president of global engineering, said a revised version of Zeta is back on track.

Engineered at GM's Holden subsidiary in Australia, Zeta was expected to be the basis of the next-generation Pontiac Grand Prix and GTO; the Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo and a new version of the Camaro; and other vehicles. Vehicles in the program were expected to debut as early as 2006.

Queen did not discuss vehicles on the new version of Zeta or timing. Some vehicles that could be in the Zeta program include the next-generation Pontiac GTO as well as a Chevrolet coupe and sedans. They could debut by the 2009 or 2010 model year, say one company source and one industry analyst.

Queen said initial plans for Zeta stretched the architecture beyond its limits for some North American vehicles. "We needed to reassess and reconfigure the program," he said.

"As we started counting who was in and who was out of Zeta, we realized too late" that Zeta would not work in North America, Queen said.

Part of GM's reasoning in slowing Zeta's development was to focus on pulling forward its full-sized SUVs and pickups. GM's next-generation SUVs will debut early next year.

At the time, GM Vice Chairman Robert Lutz wrote on GM's FastLane blog that GM had "canceled & plans to build rear-wheel-drive vehicles off the Zeta architecture."

"But that does not mean we've canceled plans to build rear-drive vehicles altogether," Lutz wrote. "We are simply reallocating resources (human and financial) to pull some other programs ahead and get other vehicles to market sooner."

The revised Zeta program is being developed in GM's Australian engineering center. The vehicle line executive on the program is Gene Stefanyshyn, the former vehicle line executive for GM's Epsilon, or mid-sized cars, in North America.

A GM spokesman said no product plans have been approved and that GM still is studying design themes, performance characteristics and variants for Zeta vehicles.

GM uses the term "architecture" to signify a common set of components, performance characteristics, a common manufacturing process, a range of dimensions and connecting points for key component systems.

(end of article)

GM has said the new rwd coupes won't have retro styling. They seem to have done a good job with the new Pontiac Solstice as they have 13,000 orders for it with good reviews.

New 2006 Pontiac Solstice (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=377526)

http://www.pontiac.com/images/gallery/solstice/sm_image4_lrg.jpg

http://www.pontiac.com/images/gallery/solstice/sm_image10_lrg.jpg

http://www.pontiac.com/images/gallery/solstice/sm_image16_lrg.jpg

http://www.pontiac.com/images/gallery/solstice/sm_image20_lrg.jpg

http://www.pontiac.com/images/gallery/solstice/sm_image11_lrg.jpg

Filthy Sanchez
10-12-2005, 02:33 PM
About time now we need Ford and GM to make other rear drive cars. I mean beisdes Mustang and Solstice. A Camaro replacement had better be in the works, and maybe a rear drive Impala. Ford make the next Crown Vic something other than a grandpa's car and maybe something cool from Lincoln (rumors are they want to make a great rear drive Continetal). Hopefully GM isn't just blowing smoke up our asses as they've been known to do. It is good to see Chrysler reverse their plans to make only four door models, and actually come out with a 2 door coupe.

Add your comment to this topic!