Wondering about vehicle weights

clawhammer
04-27-2005, 08:00 PM
I was just thinking about the weights of cars. You always hear that in the 70s the american car manufacturers would take a small car and put a huge V8 in it, and it would be fast. But the car weighed 4000. It was fast, but couldn't handle if their life depended on it.

Then again you hear of really lightweight cars like the Honda CRX, MR2 which weighed 2000 or less pounds (1985 MR2 just over 2000 pounds, 1985 CRX HF just over 1700 pounds). They were underpowered, so not fast, but their handling was pretty decent.

You also hear some enthusiasts complaining about how the weight of the average SUV has increased so much over the past few years that get horrible gas mileage.

Something else I should point out is how American "tuners" don't care at all about weight, like Hypsi. Then there are import "tuners" who would do everything to loose just a few pounds, even if it means losing comforts such as AC, power steering, ABS.

Anybody have any comments on this subject?

Mr. Luos
04-27-2005, 08:06 PM
HP to weight ratio is all that matters for straight line performance.

I could put my car on a diet, but I would rather keep it 100% street trim. Spare tire and all. Probably means I won't see 10's. Oh well. Be a mean ass street car.

drftk1d
04-27-2005, 08:10 PM
my car weighs about 2620lbs.

carbon fiber hood, remove carpet, remove spare tire and jack, run on 1/2 tank of gas.

after i do all that shit i should be in the high 2500's (lol).

i dont have the 350+ hp to run on a full interior.

KDubbPL
04-27-2005, 08:10 PM
I was just thinking about the weights of cars. ...Then there are import "tuners" who would do everything to loose just a few pounds, even if it means losing comforts such as AC, power steering, ABS.

i would never take out ac, power steering or abs or ANy of this stuff 2 change the weight of my car. 2 me it would be pointless cuz i still need the car for pretty much everyday use and i would go insane w/o any of this stuff... but thats just me

Thourun
04-27-2005, 08:56 PM
I hate ABS.. I can feel when the car looses grip in snow and stuff. My spare never has any air in it so I might get rid of that and the jack and maybe the rear seats since they are allmost worthless, theres always AAA. I can feel a big difference with my 315lb brother in the car so weight does somthing.

KDubbPL
04-27-2005, 09:03 PM
.......I can feel a big difference with my 315lb brother in the car so weight does somthing.

HAHAHAHA oh man, lol
:rofl: are u serious? u have a 315lb bro? im not tryin 2 b funny it just sound madd silly the way u said it, lol. oh gr8 stuff

uranium235powered
04-27-2005, 09:06 PM
Three words: Ariel Atom2 Pwnz.

drftk1d
04-27-2005, 09:09 PM
i would never take out ac, power steering or abs or ANy of this stuff 2 change the weight of my car. 2 me it would be pointless cuz i still need the car for pretty much everyday use and i would go insane w/o any of this stuff... but thats just me

my car only has air conditioning. you get by. i think manual steering is better than power cause you feel the road better. and abs is wack.

that shits for girls.

KDubbPL
04-27-2005, 09:14 PM
my car only has air conditioning. you get by. i think manual steering is better than power cause you feel the road better. and abs is wack.

that shits for girls.

hey, like i said thats just me :naughty:

uranium235powered
04-27-2005, 09:19 PM
From NASIOC, I hear that WRX owners remove the sound dreadening tar from the trunk and other parts of their cars and saved up anywhere from 20 - 40 lbs. Has anybody ever done this to their car?

Also, I've heard of some MX-5 Miatas weighing ~ 1400lbs equiped with roll bars and stuff. If you are not going to use the car for Auto-X or SCCA, how light can these cars actually go?

Amish_kid
04-27-2005, 09:36 PM
[QUOTE=uranium235powered]From NASIOC, I hear that WRX owners remove the sound dreadening tar from the trunk and other parts of their cars and saved up anywhere from 20 - 40 lbs. Has anybody ever done this to their car?[QUOTE]

I remember someone on g2ic.com actually took all the paint off the car and it saved them 50-60lbs according to them all it has is a coat of primer now...now don't quote me on that b/c I can't exactly remember the number but I know it was around there.

clawhammer
04-27-2005, 09:42 PM
I remember someone on g2ic.com actually took all the paint off the car and it saved them 50-60lbs according to them all it has is a coat of primer now...now don't quote me on that b/c I can't exactly remember the number but I know it was around there.

That doesn't surprise me at all. Paint, wiring, interior carpeting/sound deadening material, computer controllers, etc, CF body panels if you want to go extreme.

Thourun
04-27-2005, 10:14 PM
Could save a butload by taking out all the glass windows and getting plexi instead.

Thourun
04-27-2005, 10:17 PM
HAHAHAHA oh man, lol
:rofl: are u serious? u have a 315lb bro? im not tryin 2 b funny it just sound madd silly the way u said it, lol. oh gr8 stuff
Yea and the sad part is he just turned 15, he's a monster... seems he grows an inch a day now, my sisters the same way.. I am the smallest in the family at a meger 145lbs.

KDubbPL
04-27-2005, 10:21 PM
Yea and the sad part is he just turned 15, he's a monster... seems he grows an inch a day now, my sisters the same way.. I am the smallest in the family at a meger 145lbs.

lol damn, i mean i dont want 2 laugh but thats pretty extreme, especially if he JUST turned 15...

Thourun
04-27-2005, 10:26 PM
Yea he's a big guy but he's a tedybear inside lol. He's well over 6' tall now just to give you a clearer picture... He looks like an orge/caveman lol.

Add your comment to this topic!