Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Polishing problem

hiro
04-07-2002, 03:03 PM
What do you guys use to apply compound? I've tried everything, really soft t-shirt, even the cloth that came with Tamiya wax.. but everything left scratch marks. Am I using too much force? Keep polishing longer? Get another cloth for polish?

pkw1
04-07-2002, 03:30 PM
maybe you're pressing too hard... I just use an old cotton T, and it works great. I'm going to try using wax next with my kits, then clear coating.

modelfan1
04-07-2002, 04:29 PM
Are you using rubbing compound or polishing compound ?
Is the paint is still soft ? Is it enamel ?

I'm going to try using wax next with my kits, then clear coating.

I doubt if the clear coat will stick to the waxed surface !

Mike

daggerlee
04-07-2002, 05:28 PM
What's the difference between rubbing and polishing compound??

primera man
04-07-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by hiro
What do you guys use to apply compound? I've tried everything, really soft t-shirt, even the cloth that came with Tamiya wax.. but everything left scratch marks. Am I using too much force? Keep polishing longer? Get another cloth for polish?

Maybe your not waiting for the paint to harden long enough.
I use the cloth that comes with the Tamiya Wax and have no problems.

Do you wash the cloth out?
It will hold any small(tiny) bits of plastic etc in the cloth that maybe getting left on the cloth and marking the marks on the model.

modelfan1
04-07-2002, 05:44 PM
Rubbing compound is more abrasive than polishing compound and is usually dk brown and polishing compound is off white :bandit:
Mike

nikanora
04-07-2002, 05:52 PM
I had a very similar question that i was about to post...but now i don't :)

What should he use, polishing or rubbing? because i was going to buy some rubbing compound but i also saw polishing compound as well, so i held off on buying it.

Nika

modelfan1
04-07-2002, 06:23 PM
Rubbing compound is more abrasive than polishing compound and is usually dk brown and polishing compound is off white :bandit:

Rubbing compound is VERY abrasive and will remove layers of paint,you should'nt need that for a model. It's as abrasive as a powdered household cleanser like Comet.
Polishing compound has a much finer grit but will still remove paint.
Depending on how much work the paint needs you should invest in a polishing kit with varying grits of abrasive cloth,starting at 1000 grit and going to 12000 grit progressively and they should include a liquid polish
that would be finer than the finest abrasive cloth in the kit !
If you want,some automotive cleaner/waxes could be used,but keep in mind a "polish" is abrasive and will remove paint while a "wax"won't.
Always use a damp applicator to rub the polish or wax in and wash it out frequently because it will pick up all the material you're removing!
:bandit:

Mike

daggerlee
04-07-2002, 08:03 PM
Be careful with those polishing kits...I'm still trying to get a good finish with mine.

In the meantime, polishing compound can provide good results, just look at Guiddy's models...

primera man
04-07-2002, 08:56 PM
The Tamiya rubbing/polishing compound followed by Tamiya wax is all you should need to polish a model

hiro
04-08-2002, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the help!! :) I'm using Tamiya compound on TS paint, but using a dry cloth..I guess I'll try damp cloth and less pressure.

pkw1
04-08-2002, 05:27 AM
I'm using the Tamiya Rubbing Compound.

I accidently rubbed too hard and took out a little corner of paint on my blue WRX :mad: :mad: :mad: I'll have to fix that up sometime...

pkw1
04-08-2002, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by pkw1
I'm using the Tamiya Rubbing Compound.

I accidently rubbed too hard and took out a little corner of paint on my blue WRX :mad: :mad: :mad: I'll have to fix that up sometime...

Also, I'll be covering the entire hood of my Spoon ITR with carbon decal, so I'd like to clear coat the hood, so it looks shiny.. but I'll be doing some tests on something else 1st so I don't mess up the expensive Modelers CF decals.

tenzoracerevovii
04-12-2002, 02:02 AM
i don't know.......the rubbing/polishing compound from Tamiya doesn't seem all that harsh.......i polished my mugen ITR after leaving the paint for 2 days (just wanted to test the compound) and it came out very nice.......i painted it pearl white and the pearl just gleams.........you can tell the difference a lot!.....i just use a dry cotton shirt like the others...works fine for me....:confused:

Add your comment to this topic!