Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Volvo 240 Starting problem, think its the ignition

bifflucas
04-27-2005, 03:27 AM
HI,
I have a volvo 240 special edition (Torslander) Hreg (UK) 1990, after driving it into about 4foot of water, all over the front of the car, the engine failed after about another 150miles. There seems to be some type of ignition problem, the coil works fine and the engine turns over but there is no spark, the battery is high in power, the distributer and spark plugs have all been changed, but the engine still won't fire. This seems to be the root of the problem. Everything with the fuel pump works ok, the is just no spark, all help would be very much appriciated. Thaks for your time,
Cheers

Mike_Brace
03-12-2006, 11:50 AM
It could be the crank position sensor this times the pulse from the coil to the plugs. Had it happen on mine - just suddenly failed.
Best of luck

Mike

jsinton
02-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Did you get water in the passenger compartment? There's the EFI control box on the right side under the dash. I had a lady who put her car in a auto car wash with the windows down, filling the compartment with water. When I finally realized the problem, I poured water out of the EFI box. Replacing the box with a junk one, the car ran great.

If that's not the problem, please realize that subjecting a modern car to a flood like that can "shit" just about any electrical sensor, computer, or connection. You might be lucky to find this one.

Add your comment to this topic!