Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ignition switch will not turn on 98 Malibu

Dave1943
04-26-2005, 05:37 PM
With key inserted in the ignition I can not turn the key to start the car or get transmission out of Park. Steering wheel is not locked (does the 98 Malibu have steering lock?). Tried several keys, but none will turn the ignition switch. Any easy ways to check the ignition switch or unlock the transmission so I can manually move the car?

wpbharry
04-26-2005, 06:26 PM
This was a common problem on '97s. Haven't heard much about it happening on later Malibus. My '98 (which I bought new and kept for 6 years) went through 7 lock cylinders, but I never had that problem. Some owners of '97s couldn't remove the key from the cylinder, either.

I'll bet your cylinder is just plain shot. Hope you can do the work yourself. Runs about $400, at least in my area.

suncruiser225
11-21-2005, 12:53 PM
With key inserted in the ignition I can not turn the key to start the car or get transmission out of Park. Steering wheel is not locked (does the 98 Malibu have steering lock?). Tried several keys, but none will turn the ignition switch. Any easy ways to check the ignition switch or unlock the transmission so I can manually move the car?

Dave, I'm having same problem with my 97 Malibu. Wondering if you fixed or had yours fixed?

Add your comment to this topic!