Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Grand Prix GT or V6 Camaro?

coolpick87
04-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Which would you rather have for a daily driver?

Something like a fully loaded 2000 Grand Prix GT 4 door w/ 3.8L V6.
Or
Like a 1999 base V6 Camaro w/ 3.8L and a 5 speed.

illegal_eagle187
04-26-2005, 11:25 AM
im going with the grand prix gt, has the same power with the 3.8 V6, a little heavier, but looks better :2cents:

clawhammer
04-26-2005, 01:59 PM
Neither. I don't think either would be good as a daily, just because both of their gas mileage sucks.

chevydrummer76
04-26-2005, 02:08 PM
99 camaro

with an Ls-1 though

coolpick87
04-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Neither. I don't think either would be good as a daily, just because both of their gas mileage sucks.

Well I think that 28mpg is a whole better than the 8mpg that I am getting right now in my Nova.

mason_RsX
04-26-2005, 03:41 PM
99 camaro

with an Ls-1 though

Ditto...why by a V6 Camaro? honestly?

YukiHime
04-26-2005, 04:59 PM
Why FF VS FR?
Why 2 door VS 4 door?
Why AT VS MT?
Why? Why? WHY?

GForce957
04-26-2005, 05:18 PM
yeah, never buy an f-body or a mustang if its V6. EVER. I'd go with an LS1 too, but for your comparison the Grand Prix

kman10587
04-26-2005, 09:53 PM
yeah, never buy an f-body or a mustang if its V6. EVER. I'd go with an LS1 too, but for your comparison the Grand Prix

I'm so sick of all the V6 Camaro/Firebird hate. They may not be as fast in a straight line as the V8 models, but they are still mid-high 15 second cars. They are a couple grand cheaper to buy, and a lot easier on insurance (about two grand less per year for me). They also get slightly better gas mileage. I know that none of this is really pertinent to a performance car buyer, but guess what, HE'S NOT LOOKING FOR A PERFORMANCE CAR, he's looking for a daily driver. I really doubt that you can make a reasonable case that the V8 model is a superior daily driver, so can it with that "NEVER BUY A V6 CAMARO" bullshit, please. This isn't the Street Racing section.

GForce957
04-26-2005, 11:00 PM
But the whole point is as you said. hes not looking for a performance car. There are tons of better V6's out there than a camaro. I've always felt that there isnt a real point in getting a V6 camaro or mustang. You arent buying them for interiors or anything like that, you buy camaros for performance, so get a V8 if you want one.

kman10587
04-27-2005, 12:14 AM
Yes, people buy the Camaro for performance, but my point is that there is enough performance in a V6 Camaro to make it worth buying. Of course the performance seems meager next to the Z28, but 200 horsepower and 225 ft-lb of torque is very respectable for a RWD sports coupe that sold for under $20,000 brand new. It's got all the good qualities of the Z28 - the solid reliability, the good safety ratings, the great gas mileage (considering how much power the engines are putting out), the well thought-out chassis and suspension setup, and the sharp looks - without the boatload of power. For me, personally, 200 horsepower, a five-speed manual transmission, and rear-wheel-drive is more than enough to have fun with. I'd be most likely to beef up the suspension, put on some performance tires, and take it autocrossing anyways. I don't need the tire-obliterating power and higher insurance premium of the Camaro Z28 to satisfy my performance needs. I'm just sick of being treated like I'm crazy because I'd willingly buy a V6 Camaro over a V8 Camaro.

mason_RsX
04-27-2005, 08:09 AM
I guess I would have to say im not a fan of the V6 Camaros or Mustangs is the people who buy them (AF members excluded) are aspiring to look good, and thats it. The majority of recent Mustang sales have been V6 Autos, cars that look sharp, but are actually quite slow...All show and no go is something I don't like in a car, or the people who buy them

kman10587
04-27-2005, 11:29 AM
I guess I would have to say im not a fan of the V6 Camaros or Mustangs is the people who buy them (AF members excluded) are aspiring to look good, and thats it. The majority of recent Mustang sales have been V6 Autos, cars that look sharp, but are actually quite slow...All show and no go is something I don't like in a car, or the people who buy them

That's very true, and I dislike people like that just as much as you do, but the car's good qualities should not be overlooked and immediately dismissed like they so often are.

k3smostwanted
04-27-2005, 05:27 PM
But the whole point is as you said. hes not looking for a performance car. There are tons of better V6's out there than a camaro. I've always felt that there isnt a real point in getting a V6 camaro or mustang. You arent buying them for interiors or anything like that, you buy camaros for performance, so get a V8 if you want one.

yeah, but look at the title of the post... he wants 2 specific cars compared not all the other V6's.

if you live some place where it snows, i would get the grand prix because it is FWD. its alot easier to pull your car on snow than it is to push it.

i almost did the same comparo you did except it was between a E36 BMW and a grand prix GTP supercharged for a daily driver. the GTP ended up winning out...it has better performance, FWD for snow, forced inducted for good modability, but still gets 28mpg on the highway. i ended up with a 2000 with low miles for a couple thousand less than a 1997 BMW with high miles that i was looking at. and the best part is that i can beat $30k sports cars with as little as $400.

also, another reason why i would pick the grand prix over the camaro...the grand prix offers full leather interior, power seats, heated seats, sunroof, HUD, etc. it has more features and rides better than some of your 50k luxury cars. :thumbsup:

04-27-2005, 06:56 PM
I hate having a v6 firebird...but i also got it cause it looked ncie, then realized i want somethign nice and fast.

Why do people get N/A 300 zxs, eclipses, and 3000 gts...the same reason people get v6 f-bodies/mustangs?

camaroincal
04-28-2005, 12:24 AM

My car = 1997 Camaro 3.8 V6 M5 = 19 city 30 highway. There are many 4 bangers out there that don't get that good of highway mileage....

camaroincal
04-28-2005, 12:28 AM
Ditto...why by a V6 Camaro? honestly?

Why question what other people like to buy? Especially when your car is essentially the same thing, being a moderately powered sports car getting decent gas mileage....

camaroincal
04-28-2005, 12:31 AM

You say never buy a V6 F-body.....yet you own a 1995 Saturn SL2 and a 1981 Delorean DMC-12........with the optional flux capacitator... :lol2:

camaroincal
04-28-2005, 12:35 AM

The new 4.0 V6's in the new mustangs are rated at 210 hp and 240 tq. Not to mention Ford finally put a decent autp tranny in them. I would say there is some go there.

kman10587
04-28-2005, 01:50 AM
Why do people get N/A 300 zxs, eclipses, and 3000 gts...the same reason people get v6 f-bodies/mustangs?

Because not everyone buys a sports car for the power. Some people buy them for the handling, or the looks, or the image. Or sometimes, they just want a car with strong acceleration, the joy of RWD, and a manual transmission. V6 Camaros/Firebirds and N/A 300ZXs and Supras fit that bill perfectly.

GForce957
04-30-2005, 12:26 AM
You say never buy a V6 F-body.....yet you own a 1995 Saturn SL2 and a 1981 Delorean DMC-12........with the optional flux capacitator... :lol2:

I say never buy one. I didnt buy the saturn, it was a hand me down from my father. The only thing i like about it is the good gas mileage. Personally, if i was driving a V6 F-body I would always feel that i wasted money because theres a better performing V8. But if you are not someone who cares about performance, a Grand Prix GT is still better IMO than a V6 camaro

MclarenF1
04-30-2005, 01:51 AM
Man, this V8 vs. V6 and Turbo vs. Na stuff always starts alot of arguments. It seems like people are either completely lost on why someone would buy a V6/ NA, or understand completely.

As an NA Z owner, I have heard this alot. Especially in my case. For what I paid for a pristine 96 with 36K (about 13 grand), I could have gotten a pretty nice turbo model. But then you have other real world factors everyone seems to throw out the window in these forums. Insurance for one. And maintenance. I can run a non turbo to 105k without changing a timing belt. I have to change it at 65K on a turbo. For a broke ass student who won't be making much till the master's degree is done, that's a pretty big deal. And the insurance difference was enough to make me want to vomit (it's bad enough with an NA). Also, I looked at it this way- for about 6 grand less than what I would pay for a new Civic Si or RSX, I could get a car that I could still put 150 to 200 thousand relatively trouble free miles on, has slightly better performance, and rear wheel drive to boot. Put in another even more optmistic light- I could get a car that would outrun a 325i coupe, has an interior that is as nice, gets more looks, and spend about 15 grand less.

As for the relevance of all this info to the argument at hand, my point is just that V6 and NA models have their merits when viewed in a realistic context. And those Camaros are better handlers than people let on. I've seen them on autocross courses, and they would smoke a Grand Prix any day. And I don't know about you all, but rear wheel drive means alot to me. I'll admit, though, that some V6 models (like the last generation V6 Mustang) were way weak. But drive one of the Camaros and you might just be surprised. Conversely, check your insurance rates on a late model Z28 or turbo Z, and you might just shit your pants. (I know I almost did.) Just my thoughts.

P.S. As soon as this school B.S. is over and the fiance and I get hitched, you better believe either a turbo Z or used C5 is going to find its way to our driveway in a hurry. Like I said, I LOVE the powerful models when circumstance is right.

kman10587
04-30-2005, 03:50 AM
As an NA Z owner, I have heard this alot. Especially in my case. For what I paid for a pristine 96 with 36K (about 13 grand), I could have gotten a pretty nice turbo model. But then you have other real world factors everyone seems to throw out the window in these forums. Insurance for one. And maintenance. I can run a non turbo to 105k without changing a timing belt. I have to change it at 65K on a turbo. For a broke ass student who won't be making much till the master's degree is done, that's a pretty big deal. And the insurance difference was enough to make me want to vomit (it's bad enough with an NA). Also, I looked at it this way- for about 6 grand less than what I would pay for a new Civic Si or RSX, I could get a car that I could still put 150 to 200 thousand relatively trouble free miles on, has slightly better performance, and rear wheel drive to boot. Put in another even more optmistic light- I could get a car that would outrun a 325i coupe, has an interior that is as nice, gets more looks, and spend about 15 grand less.

As for the relevance of all this info to the argument at hand, my point is just that V6 and NA models have their merits when viewed in a realistic context. And those Camaros are better handlers than people let on. I've seen them on autocross courses, and they would smoke a Grand Prix any day. And I don't know about you all, but rear wheel drive means alot to me. I'll admit, though, that some V6 models (like the last generation V6 Mustang) were way weak. But drive one of the Camaros and you might just be surprised. Conversely, check your insurance rates on a late model Z28 or turbo Z, and you might just shit your pants. (I know I almost did.) Just my thoughts.

That is exactly what I was trying to say, great post.

Add your comment to this topic!