Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New '04 Malibu/Maxx Recall

wpbharry
04-26-2005, 09:17 AM
While at the dealership this morning for my Maxxes' first major service, I was informed that GM recently recalled ALL '04 Malibus and Maxxes (possibly some '05s, too, not sure; also not sure if this means only V-6s or if 4s are included too) to reflash the Powertrain Control Module (in my case not once, but 4 times) to cure rough idle, stalling and hard hot starts. I've only experienced the rough idle so far.

This recall apparently flew under the radar, and was not a part of yesterday's massive recall.

e2helper
04-26-2005, 03:28 PM
Hmm,

I wasn't aware of anything recent but will check

wpbharry
05-02-2005, 04:12 PM
I meant to post a synopsis of my dealer experience last week, earlier, but alas, I had a "mid-life moment" and forgot.

I was quite unhappy with my dealer. It's clearly gone way downhill in the last 9 months. Previously, I'd been happy...Chevy dealers seem to be slipping fast, with a "could-care-less" attitude, seen all over the Net.

I'm not at all positive that the PCM reflashes are a real recall, because the Service Manager was clearly not knowledgeable about other things.

In any case, they reflashed my PCM 4 times, and the car still idles rough.

They didn't perform the recommended service in the Owner's Manual, despite the fact that I asked them to.

They did replace the fuel tank (and left me running on fumes, how courteous), but at least that's fixed.

They put stiffeners in the skylight trim piece to help keep the sunshades from snapping open (I've heard this "fix" isn't a fix), but so far, so good.

Despite a known TSB, they refused to service the transmission for the howl/growl, because they've never done one (at least they were honest about this), and are sending a Tech for training on it next week. BUT, I'm not gonna be their first, no way. I'll address that in Sept., or whenever I'm in for the next oil change.

Aside from the 1/2 gallon of gas they left me with, the car was filthy. I'm beginning to wonder if I should have bought the Accord. They also somehow managed to break off the parking pass holder clip on the windshield, but that IS very easy to do from what I've heard. A poor design. Minor, and I'm not gonna worry about it.

I AM seeing a lot of Maxxes around town all of a sudden, and they're not rentals. Interesting. Fuel prices, maybe?

quteasabutton
05-02-2005, 08:07 PM
i went to both the chevrolet and the general motors website and found absoutely nothing about recalls. i did find a website tho that listed the current recalls and the approx. number of vehicles affected. http://www.automotive.com/2004/12/chevrolet/malibu/recalls/

Add your comment to this topic!