Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

just absolutely beside myself re bearings

neoschenker
04-25-2005, 10:14 PM
I'm confused to say the least. I don't know a lot about cars but have been to the dealer and another local mechanic quite a bit in the past couple years regarding a grinding noise coming from the front. It mostly is at lower speeds when braking - just before stopping. I used to have a problem when turning at lower speeds but that seems to have been fixed with the front bearings being replaced last summer. At that time the dealer told me that the sound would not go away completely because of a defect between the tire and the wheel - how the bead would hold to the rim (I don't know if I said that correctly or not.) Anyway, he led me to believe that replacing the tires would fix the problem. I replaced the tires in November and everything sounded great......for a few months. Now I've been living with the sound again. Could the bearing go that quickly? Is there a correlation between the level of the noise and the pressure of the tire because I know that the front left is running a little low (low pressure light has been on a couple weeks - need to get to it.) I'm just confused about what to do. I love everything else about the car but need to get this resolved. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I did look through the 400 some posts straight off the web before registering and posting this and some helped but I still need some direction. Sorry for the rant.

pp270
05-09-2005, 11:54 AM
This is probably the obvious suggestion, and the dealer should have found if it is the problem, but it might be the pads have worn down and the rivets are grinding grooves in your rotors. Do the brakes pulse when applied. Run you finger across the rotors after the car has been sitting for a while. The grooves will be quite pronounced if this is the problem.

cficare68
05-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Yeah if it was not bearings your dash would light up like a christmas tree

jr6078
05-16-2005, 10:25 PM
Do you have the alloy wheels? If you do, it's possible that the noise is coming from the tire bead rubbing against the rim. This is a known problem with the Alero alloy wheels and is caused by a loose fit between the tire/wheel. The new tires would have fixed it for a while, but eventually the noise will return. If your tire is low, this could definitely contribute to both the problem and the noise.

I'm not going to say without a doubt that this is your noise, because there are too many other things that can cause the noise you're describing. (bearings, CV joints, brakes) Rule out the other mechanical possibilities before you go out and get new wheels & tires.

cficare68
05-17-2005, 07:24 AM
Another thing to is tire size. You tire could be a little to big too. When i had first got my grand am i had a issue to where it sounded like a grinding noise coming from one of the tires and come to find out when the dealer that i bought the car from replaced my tires they where the wrong size and where a little bigger than what the rims was and it was causing it to make a noise

Add your comment to this topic!