Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Haven't started the car in 2 years!!!

MugenCrVTuner
04-07-2002, 01:47 AM
ok...here goes...a family friend gave me a Toyota Supra Turbo...and it hasn't been started for 2 freakin years...and well...i bought a new battery for it thinking that was gonna be the problem...but it wasn't...does anybody know how to go about this?? thanks in advance...

spy54
04-07-2002, 03:45 AM
your probly gonna need to do some maintnence work on it change the plugs wires and fluids and that might help

spy54
04-07-2002, 03:46 AM
oh and sorry to double post but WHO GIVES SOMEONE A TURBO SUPRA I NEED FRIENDS LIKE THAT! :D :D :D :D

MugenCrVTuner
04-07-2002, 01:41 PM
haha...i guess i have great friends...hehe...anyhow....i'm probably gonna end up changing the plugs...wires...and fluids...but the engine doesn't even make an attempt to start...it's really weird...all i hear are two somewhat silent clicks...then a steady silent hum...it's really weird...could it be the starter??...hm...any help??

mellowboy
04-07-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by MugenCrVTuner
haha...i guess i have great friends...hehe...anyhow....i'm probably gonna end up changing the plugs...wires...and fluids...but the engine doesn't even make an attempt to start...it's really weird...all i hear are two somewhat silent clicks...then a steady silent hum...it's really weird...could it be the starter??...hm...any help??

Ok what year is your Supra? IF you ever did get it started its gonna run like shit. You gotta replace the head gasket ..it could be leaking from those 2 years thats never been started up. This guy i know that has a type r powered 4th gen hatch did the same shit and his gasket leaks. His car is freakin slow man. SO you might wanna check that.Starter ,alternator shouldn't have anything to do with that. You might wanna check the battery also. CHarge it up first before anything.

kane2g
04-08-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by MugenCrVTuner
Im no expert on starting POS cars, J/K
but your battery is ok, because you hear the 2 clicks. Also its not the fuel pump because its the humming noise. I would check the injectors with a noid lights, they are like 12 bucks at autozone. I would try putting a wrench on the crank to check if the engine is siezed, if it isnt it might be a starter.
good luck

Rice-Rocketeer
04-08-2002, 02:20 PM
Just because you hear the clicks doesn't mean the battery is ok. The battery might have just enough power to turn the starter solenoid on but not the starter motor. But he said the battery is new so fuck it. I'd check with a multimeter to see if the starter gets power and if it does connect power straight to the removed starter motor to see if it turns.

ivymike1031
04-08-2002, 02:41 PM
It might be worthwhile to try to turn the engine by hand before you spend too much time on the other stuff. First try just pulling on an accessory belt w/ your hands (watch out for the pulleys). If you can't do it that way, stick a wrench on the crank nose bolt and try to turn the engine slowly with the wrench. It should turn fairly easily. If you can't turn it with a wrench, there may be some serious trouble waiting inside...

If you CAN turn it, don't get used to doing it... you don't want to be whirling the thing around all afternoon with little or no lube on the moving parts.

MugenCrVTuner
04-08-2002, 09:04 PM
thanks for all your help guys...i had a mechanic check it out...i used to work at a Honda dealership...and knew some mechanics there...so...i called him...and told him about the situation...and he said that it's most likely the starter...but all the pointers you guys mentioned...i'll mention to him...just wanna thank you guys for everything....i posted a similiar post in the Toyota section....no reply....us Honda guys ROCK!!!!

Tofuboy
04-10-2002, 12:51 AM
Ok this is the second time I am typing this and I am trying not to type as much details as last time. It is pissing me off because my computer froze on my as soon as I finished typing it the first time.

Anyway, If the car doesn’t have any problems previously and you have checked out everything, this WILL be your problem. It is your gasoline inside your gas tank. It has been changed chemically with the metal, water, and oxygen inside your gas tank. There is a way you can check but it will be a very tough job. All you need to do is to open your gas cap and give it a sniff. There will be an awful smell (smell like $hit, and yes, that is exactly what the by product of gasoline will smell like). Usually gasoline will start to change at about two weeks old inside your tank by absorbing the water at first. You might ask where is the water come from inside your tank? If you know your gas cap acts like a 2 way valve to release pressure and keep the gas tank at atmosphere pressure by allowing air to enter the gas tank (by the way that is how your fuel pump works, if you somehow has a seal cap, your fuel pump will not able to pump fuel to your engine and you will not able to start your car). As you know, atmosphere air contains water, and that's how the water gets in your gas tank.

I will be amazing if you can start a car that has a six months old gasoline inside the tank, not to mention you have a 2 year old piss water inside.

I suggest you to drain the gasoline out of your tank OR you can pump some new fresh gasoline into the tank to max it with if your tank is not full, that should allow you to start the engine. The engine will not perform as it should for the first tank of gas (probably the second tank also). But not to fear, after it ran a couple tanks of gas, the engine should return to it's original shape.

I also suggest you to put some fuel additive (ex. Chervon Fuel System Cleaner) in your gas tank AFTER you have run the first tank of gas. Because there will be residues left behind inside your tank due to the old changed gasoline.

If you think there will be too much work for a free car, let me know, I will be happily take the car from you free of charge.:smoker2:

kane2g
04-12-2002, 04:52 AM
i havent started my car in 6 mo and the gas was fine. I had to build up the pressure in the lines but thats about it. started w/o any problems. But its worth a shot.

MugenCrVTuner
04-14-2002, 06:58 PM
it's finally up and goin!!!...it was the solenoid to the starter...it forze...and all that was needed was a simply hit with a hammer to get it unjammed...and the car started with no problems...it was so weird seeing it running...haven't seen it move in like 2 years....i'm suprised the car actually ran cause of the old gas...it's been there for over 2 years...so...i put dry gas into it...and added some fresh fuel...i was workin on it last night with some friends...and let me tell you...this is no Honda...i finally appreciate Honda's level of ease to work on...as compared to other cars...we had to take apart so many things to get to the spark plugs...goosh...but anyhow...thanks again everyone for your advice...oh...i took a test drive...damn...even after 2-3 years of collecting dirt.....the thing pulls really nice...:frog:

Add your comment to this topic!