Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

what to look for

jason-1995fbody
04-25-2005, 08:16 PM
as all of you who read my post the new guy im looking to get an s10 and do a small block conversion its and 80 something and ive only herd a few bad things about s10's but ive never owned one so my question is is there anything i should look out for when i look at this truck

jackass#1
04-25-2005, 08:54 PM
well if youre going to do a motor swap you really dont need to focus on how it runs. so i would check out tire wear. you can tell alot on just tire wear. youll have to look at a few manuals to understand where im coming from. it will tell you a little about suspention, alighnment,and how the previus owner drove and maintained it.
next would be body. doors are one of the big problems. the hinges seem to wear. 80s model, expect some rust.
is it a truck or blazer? if its a 4.3 a 350 will bolt right in with the tranny from the truck. youll just need to change motor mounts.
i hope that helps alittle. not much to really check when youre not worried about the motor.
good luck. keep us informed on your motor swap.

J-Ri
04-25-2005, 09:02 PM
Cab corners are a trouble spot too. I have 2 pickups, and 4 rusty cab corners.

dmbrisket 51
04-25-2005, 09:11 PM
if your swapen the moter, body alignment (tire ware) and body shape ie rust and dents, if its a 4.3 make sure the tranny is good, because you can re use the transmission

jason-1995fbody
04-25-2005, 09:52 PM
The One Im Looking In To Has No Motor / Trans Dont Know What Was In It Befor

dmbrisket 51
04-25-2005, 10:49 PM
well, you could get the vin and go to a chevy dealership and find out what gears are in the pig, and what was in it new, you could also do a carfax report on it to see if any incodents have been reported, and if you want to pay, you can find out what they were

Add your comment to this topic!