Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel leak?

psd
04-25-2005, 04:19 PM
I've asked before, but got no response. Does a 1993 plymouth sundance have a pre fuel pump? The car runs fine as long as the gas tank is above 3/4 full. When it drops below that it acts as if it is sucking air and jerks and slows way down. Someone suggested it may be the pre fuel puimp, but I'm not sure if the sundance has anything like that. I keep thinking there's a leak in the fuel system somewhere, but I can't find it if there is. Any suggestions at all would be appreciated.

measuretwice
08-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Being that I just replaced the fuel pump in my 93 duster (which is basically a sundance) I can tell you there is a 'boom' arm that has a filter pad that sits at the bottom of the tank. The pump sucks up fuel through this into a canister that holds fuel in the pump with a volume of about a pint. The top of this cylinder is at about the 3/4 tank height, and fuel can come out the top, or air from in the tank can go in the top. So, it sounds like the boom arm with the filter pad is clogged, and fuel (when the tank is 3/4 full) is being sucked in the top of the pumps canister. When you go below that level in your tank, air is being sucked in. The pump is $160.00 at autozone.

Add your comment to this topic!