Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

interceptor engine tuneup

fbi-interceptor
04-25-2005, 01:31 PM
I Have A 93 Cvpi With 99k I Was Going To Do A Tuneup On Her Shortly But Wanted To Get Some Advise On What Kind Of Wires And Plugs To Buy. One Guy Told Me That My Best Bet Was To Get Wires From A Ford Dealership. He Also Said I Should Get Motorcraft Plugs Which Also Come From A Dealership. I Would Like To Hear What Some Of Your Opinions Are On This Matter. I Am Also Going To Be Replacing The Rear Shocks And Was Wondering What Would Be The Best Fit For My Interceptor. Ohh One More Thing, What Does Panther Mean? Some Guy Said Good Luck With My Panther? Is This A Nickname For The Cv?

way2old
04-25-2005, 06:35 PM
You can find Motorcraft parts at auto parts houses.
I agree with the motorcraft parts on Ford. Autolite plugs will work also. I think Panther was a name for some Mercury's that had extras on them. Not sure on that though.

peppermrj
04-25-2005, 07:15 PM
Panther refers to the "platform" that all CVs, GMs, and Marauders are built on. They are also commonly refered to by P71(police vehicle). P74 is the civilian model designation. I forget about the other 2 tho,
I am big on motorcraft too. I also like gabriel ultras for shocks.

jimmytroanoke
04-26-2005, 08:10 AM
Have tried Autolite. Did not last - stick with Motorcraft plugs and wires. They are the only ones that hold up on the MOD V8. I have owned both of mine since new and this is from experience with Autolite and Bosch plugs. They lasted 20k miles max. Motorcrafts no problems for 75k +. It s worth the extra money. Ford dealers where I live are reasonable on tuneup parts. - Under 5 bucks each for the plugs and 90 for the wires. As much of a pain in the ass changing them is it is worth the small amount of extra money.

cobradude360
04-27-2005, 03:53 PM
for plugs i would go with the sutolite platnum or moter craft platnum basicly the same thing but i have had no problems with them

BurninCrown
05-05-2005, 11:44 AM
i have a 94 CVPI and i prefer champion platinum plugs. almost every manufacturer has switched to some sort of platinum plug. there is also some new metal instead of platinum they are using now, im going to try it next.

rksnc
05-05-2005, 01:32 PM
I have found in by business that the wires I get from dealership will always be the best in this case for sure. On the plugs just make sure you use platium plugs. These will last much longer in this engine. And the cost is about the same as some of the other brands out there. And Ford wires also seem to fit better.

fbi-interceptor
05-05-2005, 01:49 PM
thanks guys? does motorcraft make a platinum plug?

jimmytroanoke
05-05-2005, 02:28 PM
thanks guys? does motorcraft make a platinum plug?
Yes. That is probbably all they offer for your engine. the factory plugs were platinum, I believe. they were on my 95.

peppermrj
05-05-2005, 10:35 PM
The motorcraft platinums are very reasonable and available anywhere.

Add your comment to this topic!