Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

JL Audio Stealth Boxes

xVANx
04-24-2005, 07:43 PM
i was looking online and saw they made stealth boxes for blazers. Does anyone have one that they could tell me if theyre worth buying?

BlazerLT
04-24-2005, 08:11 PM
What do you mean by "worth buying"?

xVANx
04-24-2005, 08:45 PM
just wanted to know if theyre worth buying or if i should just buy a JL 12' in just a box and not a stealth.

BlazerLT
04-24-2005, 09:03 PM
just wanted to know if theyre worth buying or if i should just buy a JL 12' in just a box and not a stealth.

That is really up to you if you want to spend the extra money for it.

BlazerBoyLT98
04-25-2005, 07:40 AM
I have 2 12" JL's in the back and it does take up a lot of space, I have a box from about 6 years ago. not the stealth box. Sounds great though

muzzy1maniac
04-25-2005, 08:17 AM
Why not build your own? They look pretty simple.

BlazerBoyLT98
04-25-2005, 10:11 AM
Why not build your own? They look pretty simple.

My next project for this summer, when I get done fixing what needs some attention to keep the truck running!!!!!!!!!

muzzy1maniac
04-25-2005, 06:55 PM
I hear you... I have several things that NEED taking care of before the fun stuff!

BlazerBoyLT98
04-26-2005, 08:49 AM
I hear you... I have several things that NEED taking care of before the fun stuff!

Don't we all

JC327
04-29-2005, 10:34 PM
JL is a top-of-the-line car audio company, and thier stealth boxes are very well built and sound great. The boxes are made to provide the right airspace for the subs they come with, usually a model W0 or W3. They can be pricey, but you get what you pay for.

rental blazer
05-01-2005, 02:51 AM
JL is a top-of-the-line car audio company, and thier stealth boxes are very well built and sound great. The boxes are made to provide the right airspace for the subs they come with, usually a model W0 or W3. They can be pricey, but you get what you pay for.

i thougth alpine was the top of the line or thats what my ex gf lead me to belive
since she said i was lucky mine had a alpine cd player and she drooled over it

JC327
05-01-2005, 03:14 PM
JL Audio is a speaker company. Alpine is not known for its speakers, but for its head units (decks). JL does not make head units at all.

BlazerBoyLT98
05-01-2005, 03:31 PM
i thougth alpine was the top of the line or thats what my ex gf lead me to belive
since she said i was lucky mine had a alpine cd player and she drooled over it

Alpine makes a decent, loud head unit, not all that clear though, in my opinion. I love my JL subs which have lasted through 2 amps, 4 different vehicles, and 6 years of abuse. JL makes speakers, subs, amps, and some other minor products. JL is probably the best consumer name brand out there. There are better ones but not for the money. You could go with MB Quart which are incredible but need lots of power, not many head units can power them properly. Make sure when you buy an amp for the subs you stay at lease in the upper range of the power requirement, if not more then what they say they can handle. With speakers, look for the sensitivty rating over 90 decibels for a factory head unit or your run of the mill aftermarket. I like going to www.cruthfield.com to look at car audio to research or buy and have actually bought a good amount of stuff from them, very informative and send lots of extras. Well anyway sorry to go on a tangent. Hope anything I said helps!

rental blazer
05-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Alpine makes a decent, loud head unit, not all that clear though, in my opinion. I love my JL subs which have lasted through 2 amps, 4 different vehicles, and 6 years of abuse. JL makes speakers, subs, amps, and some other minor products. JL is probably the best consumer name brand out there. There are better ones but not for the money. You could go with MB Quart which are incredible but need lots of power, not many head units can power them properly. Make sure when you buy an amp for the subs you stay at lease in the upper range of the power requirement, if not more then what they say they can handle. With speakers, look for the sensitivty rating over 90 decibels for a factory head unit or your run of the mill aftermarket. I like going to www.cruthfield.com to look at car audio to research or buy and have actually bought a good amount of stuff from them, very informative and send lots of extras. Well anyway sorry to go on a tangent. Hope anything I said helps!

okay then who makes the best headunit now days?

BlazerBoyLT98
05-01-2005, 10:30 PM
okay then who makes the best headunit now days?

Well depending on what you want you need to do some research. If I had my choice (meaning lots of money) I would go with an expesive pioneer or a the new panasonic which puts out a ton of power for a ead unit, 70X4 peak and 60X4 RMS. If you don't know peak power will happen in a brief musical burst, while rms is continous power. Don't get me wrong Alpine is great and is probably the top 3 there is on car audio. Just do some research and find all the features you need in one unit. Good luck

JC327
05-01-2005, 10:33 PM
In my opinion, the best head units out there right now are probably the upper-end Eclipse units.

Peak power is a fake number, it is almost always untested and is rarely used by the more reputable companies.

RMS (continuous) power is the only number anyone should worry about.

My profession is the aftermarket car audio/security business and we get tons of people who have burned amps and blown subs due to misconceptions which started from "peak" power ratings on amps or subs.

Also, building a box is more complicated than it sounds if done right. You must provide the right amount of airspace for the sub, and the box needs to either be airtight, or ported with the correct airspace and port length. If you choose to build a box, most speaker companies will be happy to provide the specs you need for your application.

muzzy1maniac
05-02-2005, 06:10 AM
In my opinion, the best head units out there right now are probably the upper-end Eclipse units.

Peak power is a fake number, it is almost always untested and is rarely used by the more reputable companies.

RMS (continuous) power is the only number anyone should worry about.

My profession is the aftermarket car audio/security business and we get tons of people who have burned amps and blown subs due to misconceptions which started from "peak" power ratings on amps or subs.

Also, building a box is more complicated than it sounds if done right. You must provide the right amount of airspace for the sub, and the box needs to either be airtight, or ported with the correct airspace and port length. If you choose to build a box, most speaker companies will be happy to provide the specs you need for your application.

What subs should we look at to fit in the sides of the Blazer. I'd like to copy the Stealth design.

BlazerLT
05-02-2005, 03:31 PM
10's would be perfect.

BlazerLT
05-02-2005, 03:31 PM
10's would be perfect.

JC327
05-02-2005, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I would say 10's. I have a 10" Xtant sub in my '98 two-door (not in a stealth box though) and it fills up the vehicle just fine. If you are going for sound quality, one solid 10" or even a good pair work great. If you are going for something a little more outrageous, a pair of 12" subs will be more than enough, but you will likely not be able to get 12" subs ina stealth box-type enclosure for the Blazer.

My recommendations as far as specific subs for this type of job (qulaity subs that are not too deep for a stealth-type box) would be JL Audio W3 (or even the W0, which is a fine sub), MTX 5500, or the Eclispe SW6. There are other quality subs that will also work, your best bet is to stop by a local pro shop and listen to a few, maybe get a few suggestions from them.

BlazerBoyLT98
05-02-2005, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I would say 10's. I have a 10" Xtant sub in my '98 two-door (not in a stealth box though) and it fills up the vehicle just fine. If you are going for sound quality, one solid 10" or even a good pair work great. If you are going for something a little more outrageous, a pair of 12" subs will be more than enough, but you will likely not be able to get 12" subs ina stealth box-type enclosure for the Blazer.

My recommendations as far as specific subs for this type of job (qulaity subs that are not too deep for a stealth-type box) would be JL Audio W3 (or even the W0, which is a fine sub), MTX 5500, or the Eclispe SW6. There are other quality subs that will also work, your best bet is to stop by a local pro shop and listen to a few, maybe get a few suggestions from them.

I have two 12's, they definitely hit deeper and louder then any 10's I have heard but the bass is more boomy and not as tight. But to each there own.

JC327
05-03-2005, 02:52 AM
That's the nature of the beast, a 10" sub will give you a tighter sound than the same sub in the 12" variety, but a 12" sub will give you more bass. It's all about what you're looking for, what you are listening to, etc.

muzzy1maniac
05-03-2005, 03:34 AM

I'm definitely in on the quality. I'm not a kid anymore and sheer volume doesn't turn me on unless it sounds good!! Thanks for the help!

JC327
05-03-2005, 04:04 PM
I'm the same way, I like a good tight bottom... hmm, wait, we're talking about car sterio here... well, I like a good tight bottom for that too!

Anyway, glad to help.

[RIT]IVIr_Evil
05-03-2005, 07:27 PM
I have a pair of Eclipse 12 inch subs in a enclosed box. I checked the specs and they are 8 ohm speakers and i believe 150 watts rms and 300 wat max.. i beleive.. anyone have an idea on what amp i should use to push them?

also i found them on a website for sale close to 200 dollars a speaker.. when looking up prices...

also i thought 8ohm were only for house stereo but I found them in the car audio section of the website and my friend had them in his car but i forgot the amp and he is out of state with no phone.

thanks
- Tom

JC327
05-05-2005, 07:58 PM
8 Ohm subs are usually used in a pair, wired parallel to produce a 4 ohm load at the box, then run on a bridged or mono amp. 4 Ohm subs are more often used in either a single speaker configuration or when running the subs in stereo (unbridged). There are always exceptions, of course, but this is common.

Just like everyting Eclipse makes, theirs are some of the best sounding subs out there. Match your pair up with a quality 250-300 watt RMS amplifier, a reputable shop can help you choose a good amp for your subs.

Couple of different ways you can go with your subs... bridegable 2 channel with about 150 watts RMS per channel, or about a 300 watt RMS D-class monoblock amp. D-class amps are very efficient amps, used only for subs. Eclipse, MTX, Memphis, Coustic, Diamond - those are just a few of the companies that I'd look at in terms of a solid, true-rated, quality amplifier.

Sen Sen
05-05-2005, 10:21 PM
checkout digital amps aswell.
Produce's almost no heat, and are extremely light compared to the mono amps!

ponchonutty
05-06-2005, 06:45 AM
checkout digital amps aswell.
Produce's almost no heat, and are extremely light compared to the mono amps!
What??? You may be right on the the heat part but not on the rest. A good quality class D amp that's of decent size will be kind of heavy.

[RIT]IVIr_Evil
05-06-2005, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the info.. I'm looking at a Alpine Class D mono amp.. currently.. but I'm going to look at the brands you brought up specificaly also..

thanks again
- Tom

Sen Sen
05-06-2005, 03:22 PM
What??? You may be right on the the heat part but not on the rest. A good quality class D amp that's of decent size will be kind of heavy.

Great article! (4th paragraph down!)
I'm not saying there's a massive diffrence between the two. But there is.

http://www.altomobile.com/html/amplifiers.html

Jergin01
05-16-2005, 08:48 AM
I'm new to the stealth boxes, anyone have a link with a pic?

BlazerLT
05-16-2005, 12:04 PM
Go to JL Audio's website.

muzzy1maniac
05-16-2005, 02:47 PM
I'm new to the stealth boxes, anyone have a link with a pic?

A pic?? They're STEALTH - you can't see them. Hell - we probably shouldn't even be talking about them!

Add your comment to this topic!