Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

rotten egg smell

DUI
04-23-2005, 06:39 PM
well my car was running fine, i have left the lights on and let the battery go dead about 4 times now, it was starting to have some hard starts but latly it was seeming to have fixed it self. about three days ago i notised that everytime i drive my car hard the cabin is overwelmed with a rotten egg smell. i'm pretty sure the cat is going out or maybe the loss of power with the batterey is making it so the cat wont fire at the right time. i dont know, but last night before going out to the races i noticed my stereo would crackle for a few seconds every once and a while like the deck wasnt sending enough power, and then to top it off, the tach and speedo will turn off if i'm using the stereo and the power windows are getting slower and slower. would the cat or exhaust problem be the result of a power loss due to a bad battery?

Greenblurr93
04-23-2005, 11:07 PM
no, check your bat and alt. then replace your cat..

Beyond Imagination
04-25-2005, 01:58 PM
after your car is started by the battery all electrical is run off your alternator. by cat do you mean your catalytic converter? what do you mean by your cat "firing"?

DUI
04-27-2005, 10:35 AM
by cat yes i mean catalytic converter, once the cat is full it will fire a spark setting all of the build-up to burn. useally it makes a disscusting fart smell, but this is ten times worse! it will make you sick and light-headed. another question, are there any sencors i would have to deal with if i were to cut the cat out and just straight pipe it?

97CivicX
04-28-2005, 06:42 PM
you have no clue how a catalytic converter works, do you

GScivic7
04-28-2005, 06:52 PM
hot or burning coolant smells like rotten eggs to me. You might have a coolant leak or something under the hood and it is venting into your cabin.

Privatebigandrew
05-01-2005, 03:42 AM
you have no clue how a catalytic converter works, do you
NO NO man, that is how it works. Didn't you know that there is a seperate spark plug in the cat. The cat collects all the carbon deposit from the engine, then about once a week that spark plug ignites and burns it all up. then after that spark ignites, ferries start dancing around your tailpipe and everyone sings a melody. LMFAO this is the most ignorant post i have ever read. I am not calling you an idiot, but it is obvious that you were misinformed and have no idea what you are talking about. The normal combustion engine has 5 gases that it produces as a normal byproduct of combustion. HC's, CO2, CO, NOX, and Oxygen. The three way cat works as a catylst to reduce HC's, CO, and NOX. It works by heating up from exhaust temperature and uses precious metals to cause a chemical reation turning those three harmful compounds into less harmful ones, such as oxygen and carbon dioxide. I hope i didn't confuse you more.

greenmonkey
05-13-2005, 08:04 PM
just add some fuel cleaner to your car and the smell should go away. my moms camry had that smell and it went away with a bottle of cleaner, interestingly my other friend who also owns a toyota has that rotten egg smell. but ive put in a bottle of cleaner about once every other month and i havent smell eggs once

GSRtrackside
06-25-2005, 12:14 AM
I had the Same exact problem about a week ago. I checked under the hood and I saw that my battery was smoking and smelled like ''rotten eggs'' yum. Turned out that it was my battery and went and got it replaced. Now the smell is gone and good as new.

Add your comment to this topic!