Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

bad battery or altenator

gargalanche
04-23-2005, 04:54 AM
my wifes 2002 beetle w/ 55k miles was running fine. we shut it off and went to start it 10 minutes later and it wouldnt turn over. all the lights came on. everything worked, but it just made rapid clicking noises.
we jumped it and it started easily. 5 blocks later we shut it down and seconds later it wouldnt start with the same symptoms as as our prior attempt.
we easily jumped it again and let it idle for like a half hour. we turned it off and tried to start it. same story
jumped it again. this time it only ran for 3 minutes and slowly died.
jumped it again and pulled it into the garage where it now sits.
the windows slowed down just a little but all the other electrical stuff seems to be working just fine.

we just dont want to buy a battery if its the alternator or starter or something.

thank you for your time and consideration with my problem
,Garret and Sherri

PS WHEN WE WERE TRYING TO START IT, THE STEREO WAS GIVING US INCONSISTANT MESSAGES LIKE "SAFE" AND THEN JUMPING TO A SCREEN THAT WANTED A FOUR DIGIT CODE. AND OTHER TIMES WOULD OPERATE EXACTLY HOW THE STEREO IS SUPPOSED TO.

boschmann
04-23-2005, 12:51 PM
It could be either, or neither. Bad battery cable connections can cause the same symptoms. They'll need to test the battery & alternator output to determine if they're at fault.

veedubmechanic
04-26-2005, 10:01 PM
If you're battery is dead enough to have to be jumped 2 times then letting the car run will not charge the battery.

acneman160
09-16-2005, 01:32 PM
it has got to be your altenator. with car runnig take off either negative terminal or positive terminal. i cant remeber. if it dies it is your altenator

Add your comment to this topic!