Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

348/355

drunken monkey
04-22-2005, 02:16 PM
i've finally gotten my hands on a 355 kit and after looking at it (and finishing laughing at it....), i can't help but want to build it with an engine in it, so the first question is;

what differences, in terms of appearance, are there between the engine of a 348 and the 355?
same for the interior?
the plan is to butcher a 348 kit i've got lying around to fill in the missing items on the 355.

also.....
this is a bit of an odd question but does anyone have the general measurements (l x w x d) of the engine of a tamiya testarossa kit?

thanks.

Ferrari TR
04-23-2005, 02:23 AM
Intakes are the difference that shows, the 355 die-cast kit thats floating around has an engine insert. Not great but a start.
The Testarossa motor is a bit big for a 355. The easy way would be to use the whole rear subframe and I know that the track on the TR is a bit wide.

I'm kinda busy with other projects, a Fujimi 348ts to full spider conversion among them, but I do have all the pieces around (Fujimi 348-355,Tamiya TR. Hasegawa 348, Miasto die-cast 355 spider)

I alway though the Revell 360 spider would be a good (meaning cheap) engine/ drivetrain doner... Though, funny thing, I don't have one to look at.

lots of reference pix on the web, E-bay motors, google etc.
:licka:

Martin S
04-23-2005, 03:34 AM
So happens that I have a Tamiya Testarossa engine on my desk..
It is 32mm wide measured over the heads. (The distributor caps sticks out a bit and it is 37mm wide including those.)
The engine is 40mm long including the clutch/gearbox "hump"
The drive shafts from the gearbox exits the gearbox 22mm from the front of the engine.

It is approx 29mm high including the intakes.

drunken monkey
04-23-2005, 09:22 AM
thanks for the engine measurements.
my boxer was crying out for a better engine than the one that comes with it.....

also, does anyone know if the revell and italeri 348 kits are a rebox of the fujimi or the hasegawa kits?
or if they're new moulds?
as far as i can tell, the hasegawa kits are the best ones for the 348 but i've only got the one am a bit reluctant to destroy it for parts.....

hmm, i guess i could just build the 348 chassis and plonk the 355 body on top.....

thanks again.

360spider
04-23-2005, 12:52 PM
Italeri/Revell kit is neither Hasegawa nor Fujimi - its Italeri's own tool. Crappy too.

Add your comment to this topic!