Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Power steering issue

computerdude14
04-22-2005, 12:16 PM
I am workin on an older daytona that belongs to my g/f's stepdad, and it runs ok and everything now, but while i was working on it i noticed that the metal line that goes into the power steering pump was just hanging there, which of course let all the fluid drain out leaving the reservoir dry, so i figured it had just come loose over the years (he just bought this car for a few hundred dollars a week or so ago). So i simply screwed it back into the hole, and tightened it as tight as i could, however it was very difficult to even get a wrench down in there to fit over the nut, so it might have been able to go tighter, but didnt have any way to. i tried to unscrew it with my fingers but wouldnt budge so i figuered it'd stay in there just fine. he drove it to work the next day, and when he got home he asked me to put new plugs and air filter etc into it, so after i did that i checked to see if it was still connected. sure enuf, it was just dangling there completely out. i put it back on again, but next day, was back out again. why is this and what can i do to stop it from comming out? also, any problems with these cars that i might wanna caution him about?

mike

PWMAN
05-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Are the threads stripped or something?
If not, try to soak up all the oil you can and clean up the thread, brake cleaner works good. Apply the green type of thread locker.

computerdude14
05-01-2005, 03:45 PM
Are the threads stripped or something?
If not, try to soak up all the oil you can and clean up the thread, brake cleaner works good. Apply the green type of thread locker.

I doubt the threads are stripped because it seemed to tighten up pretty good without slipping or whatever, and they also appear to be fairly clean as in not really any dirt or grease in the threads either. what do you mean by the green type? from what i know of sealants, i thought loc-tite or watever was all one thing. or am i misinformed?

mike

PWMAN
05-01-2005, 04:03 PM
I just mean before you apply the locktite make sure there is no oil or anything on the threads it need to be dry to seal properly.
I'm not talking about thread sealant, which is white. I mean lock-tite which comes in 3 strengths, blue, green, and red. Green is the medium strength, if you want to go full guns on it the first time go with the red then. Any autozone or advance should have all 3 lock-tites in stock.

Add your comment to this topic!