Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacing Lugs

Ando140
04-21-2005, 08:01 PM
I bought an '02 tundra almost 2 weeks ago. I knew the tires needed to be rotated, so I decided to rotate them yesterday. Well, I couldn't get the wheels off (I'll take care of that later). When I put the lug nuts back on, I snapped off one of the lugs on the front passenger side. I managed to get the wheel off this afternoon. I already have a replacement, but I haven't really taken a good look at it to see exactly what I have to do to replace it. Can anybody give me some advice and/or the procedure for replacing the lug? I'm hoping it isn't a huge ordeal for just one bolt.
Thanks in advance!

Brian R.
04-21-2005, 09:10 PM
Search the forum:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=394489

Ando140
04-23-2005, 09:36 AM
Search the forum:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=394489

Yeah, looked at that. That's for the rear only, I need it for the front. Thanks though.

Brian R.
04-23-2005, 11:35 AM
No difference - push them out and pull them in.

Brian R.
04-23-2005, 02:41 PM
They are the same once you expose the rear of the lugs.

Ando140
04-23-2005, 03:36 PM
They are the same once you expose the rear of the lugs.
That's the problem, I don't know how to get to the rear of the lugs. I figured it'd be easy to take 'em out after I get back there, but it looks like the hub has to come off and I have no idea how to do it... or really where to start once the wheel comes off. Can't find anything in the repair manuals I've looked at about it either.

Ando140
04-26-2005, 05:05 PM
Anybody know how to get to the lugs? I figure this is either so easy that it doesn't warrant explaination, so difficult or extensive that no one wants to take the time to explain it, or no one knows exactly how to do it. I'm hoping its the first one as I haven't seen it in any of the books or any place else I've looked. I've taken off the wheel and looked, and I just can't see exactly how you can get to them.
Thanks again to anyone that can help, and thanks to BrianR for trying to help me out.

Ando140
05-08-2005, 12:25 PM
For anyone interested, I finally replaced the lug, and it was really no big deal (especially if you have two people). For the front, all you have to do is take the front wheel off. Then there are 2 bolts that hold the brake caliper on, take those off. Here's where its handy to have two people, have someone hold the caliper, do not let it just hang. The roter should slide right off, be sure to keep any grease from getting on the disc. Next, just punch out the broken lug with a punch and a hammer, then slide the new lug in. Try to line up the groves on the new lug with the ones left in the hole by the old lug. You'll probably need to put the nut on to draw the lug completely into the hole. Then, put the roter back on then the caliper, then the wheel. Its that easy.
The rear wheel is even easier. Make sure your parking brake is off then just take the wheel off, then the drum. You might need a couple bolts to screw into the holes on the drum to back it out. Once the drum is off, you can see the back of the lugs, just punch the broken one out. You might need to rotate the hub some if the hole isn't in a good place for clearence to get the lug in. If you need to rotate it, you'll need to take the truck out of gear, make sure you have the wheels blocked to keep it from rolling. Then just slide the new lug in just like you would for the front, then put the drum and the wheel back on and you're finished.

corbinwaterski
05-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the update! Good info!

Add your comment to this topic!