Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hard Start?

TheBU
04-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Yea i live in Michigan and where having weird weather like it will be warm one day and cold the next and i think it is messing with my starter because when i go to start the car it wont try at all then i will re turn it and it will start to try but wont start and after about 5 trys it will work.....

Has anyone else expericnced this...and do u think it will go away when it stays warm? and if not what do u think it is?

igkyoa
04-21-2005, 05:19 PM
it sounds like you might have a bad electrical connection. you may want to check the battery terminals also it could be that your battery is low.

TheBU
04-23-2005, 02:43 PM
Yea my battery is fully Charged and its still acting up....i went to the mechanic and he said it is my remote start then i go to the place that put in my remote starter and they say everything looks fine....
So who do i go to now?

ponchonutty
04-24-2005, 11:47 AM
GM has a serious problem with the Passkey system on ALL of their cars. Tell me, does it start then stall out when it fails? If it does, does the security light flash or stay lit? Does that light come on at all while driving? If you answered yes to any of these questions, it is problem with the car's alarm or the product/install of the bypass they used. If it continuously does it, have the alarm place take the bypass out then see what happens.

TheBU
04-26-2005, 02:25 PM
Well the light never came on.

Today i tried to start my car, When i turn it to start it doesnt do anything just stays in ACC mode it doesnt even try to turn over or anything.

Does this mean its my starter that stop working or is there somthing else it could be

bearcatdon
04-26-2005, 06:17 PM
do u think it will go away when it stays warm? and if not what do u think it is?

It will get better as the weather warms up until it finally decides to die. The starter is giving you a heads up that it's on the verge of dying, why not just change it and avoid any future problems?

TheBU
05-29-2005, 09:29 PM
yea my starter did die so i got a new one......

TheBU
10-06-2005, 07:41 PM
ok its been awhile, I got a new starter in and my car still has a Hard Start do you think a new fuel filter or a new Fuel pump will fix it? it takes liek 5 secs to start it up.

mikept03
10-07-2005, 03:31 AM
ok its been awhile, I got a new starter in and my car still has a Hard Start do you think a new fuel filter or a new Fuel pump will fix it? it takes liek 5 secs to start it up.

I have a similar problem, and I'm wondering what could be wrong as well. Probably about half the time it takes a relatively long time cranking and kinda sputters to life weakly, and the other half of the time it strongly fires right up. I'm just wondering if it is the fuel pump or filter, why is it so sporadic? It seems to do a little worse in warmer weather (80s-90s).

bearcatdon
10-08-2005, 06:41 AM
I have a similar problem, and I'm wondering what could be wrong as well. Probably about half the time it takes a relatively long time cranking and kinda sputters to life weakly, and the other half of the time it strongly fires right up. I'm just wondering if it is the fuel pump or filter, why is it so sporadic? It seems to do a little worse in warmer weather (80s-90s).

There are lots of reasons why a car will hard start. Fuel filter is a good starting point. You should also follow up with a good tune up.( air filter, plugs,wires, battery connections clean and tight) Put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the gas. I'd do a pressure test (after the fuel filter change) on the fuel pump prior to changing it.

TheBU
10-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Are fuel filters Ez to install? I found it under my car is there any special procedures i should do when changing it? I would take it to a Repair shop and let then do it but it seems like every time i take it there somthing worse goes wrong with my car a week later.

bearcatdon
10-10-2005, 08:33 AM
Are fuel filters Ez to install? I found it under my car is there any special procedures i should do when changing it? I would take it to a Repair shop and let then do it but it seems like every time i take it there somthing worse goes wrong with my car a week later.

They can be tricky. Do a search on this forum for fuel filters and you'll get some hints that may help you.

TheBU
10-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Ok i replaced the fuel filter and its still having a hard start should i change the Air filter now?

Add your comment to this topic!