Are Trackers a good buy?

Chunkmonster
04-20-2005, 11:47 PM
I was thinking about buying a newer Tracker (99-04) and was wondering what everyone has to say in general about them. I would like to get a 4x4, convertible, with a manual trans. Is there anything bad that they are prone or notorious to get? Is the Suzuki engine a good runner ( I think there Suzuki engines)? Anyways, any advice would be great.

KaotiKCamaro5
04-21-2005, 10:10 PM
not too sure about the newer ones, but i've owned 2 of the older trackers 92 and 96, and they've both run excellent for me.. my 92 went to 130k before anything had to really be done to it, and my 96 is at 140k and still going strong.. they're tough little cars.

99TrackerConv
04-22-2005, 06:48 AM
I have a 99 2dr 4x4 2.0L 5spd. It's got 82K on it now and going stronger then before. All I've done to it is change the oil and filter and air filter. I also changed but didn't need to... the serpintine belt(the old one was starting to squeek) and my trans fluid to synthetic(just because)

The bad things with the 99+'s is that there is not alot of "performance" parts. Or regular parts for that matter.

If you want to have more choices of lifting/lowering or any performance parts go with a 89-98

If you want more space and power and a more comfortable ride go with the 99+

99 2drs only come with a 4cyl.. either a 1.6 or a 2.0 most of them are 2.0

If you have any nore questions just ask... Later, Mike

ggcatt
04-25-2005, 12:03 PM
IMO, A "Good Buy" depends on what you pay for a car. But, our 2000 Tracker has been good to us, we use it mostly in town and it has been very reliable. A few factory related problems to fix, but nothing major. We have the 2.0 4 cyl engine which is not too powerful but gets the job done. Mileage is 17 - 20 mpg in town. The 4WD system works well, and we use it for light towing. Overall we have been happy with it, you should be too if you get one that's been well maintained.

Chunkmonster
04-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Thanks for all the info. I ended up getting one, a 2000 4x4 convertible w/ manual trans and a 2.0L. It doesn't have too much power but it's a blast to drive. The color is very unique, it's a metalic brownish orange with a tan rag top. Iv'e never seen one like it. Anyways, I'm very satisfied.

99TrackerConv
05-20-2005, 04:42 AM
Thanks for all the info. I ended up getting one, a 2000 4x4 convertible w/ manual trans and a 2.0L.

Good choice on the 5spd

It doesn't have too much power but it's a blast to drive.

I agree, BUT it does hold it's own against alot of vehicles iif your not affraid of the redline. :naughty:

The color is very unique, it's a metalic brownish orange with a tan rag top. Iv'e never seen one like it.

I like that color. It's kinda like a Copper right? Mines a rare color too Purple Grafite Metallic

Anyways, I'm very satisfied.

I'm glad you like it. Any other questions just ask.
Later, Mike

Phu
05-22-2005, 01:43 AM
Thanks for all the info. I ended up getting one, a 2000 4x4 convertible w/ manual trans and a 2.0L.

Good choice on the 5spd

Aye, I concur. :D

It doesn't have too much power but it's a blast to drive.

I agree, BUT it does hold it's own against alot of vehicles iif your not affraid of the redline. :naughty:

Yes it does. Don't be afraid of the evil little red mark. Get some cross-drilled/slotted rotors, EBC brake pads, Koni adj. shocks and struts and some 20's w/35 profile tires and then see how well it handles... 25mph turns at 65+ in 4wd :evillol:

The color is very unique, it's a metalic brownish orange with a tan rag top. Iv'e never seen one like it.

I like that color. It's kinda like a Copper right? Mines a rare color too Purple Grafite Metallic

ew. Copper. I'd suggest stripping and repainting it, but that's just me. Black, White, Silver, Purple, Lime Green (Kawasaki baby!) and yellow look ok, but, gag, copper.

Anyways, I'm very satisfied.

I'm glad you like it. Any other questions just ask.
Later, Mike

w00t. Another happy Tracker owner. If you need any help feel free to ask. If you want some bling bling dubs on that bad boy lemme know. It gets a little tricky with wheel/tire combos.

gerrbear
05-27-2005, 03:56 AM
I have a 2000 4dr 4x4 with a 2.0L 4cylinder and auto trans. 82,000 miles and I work 32 miles from home, mostly highway. You have to rev the engine to get power, but I seem to have enough to meet my needs. I have averaged 25-27 mpg on highway or 400 miles to a tank which is just over 15gal. Very quick steering on the highway, the short wheelbase causes this. It is a little cramped, I am 6'2" but it seems to have better ergonomics than alot of other small SUV's. It does get pushed around if there is strong wind gusts but it's okay and been very reliable. You have to change the oil religiously on Suzuki engines, but they will last a long time.

99TrackerConv
05-27-2005, 05:49 AM
[QUOTE=Phu] Get some cross-drilled/slotted rotors, EBC brake pads, Koni adj. shocks and struts :evillol: [\QUOTE]

Could you tell me where you got these things from and part #'s and prices?

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm really interested in the shocks and struts more than the roters and pads right now though.(I just got new ones not to long ago)

Can the adj. ones be used with lowering springs?(still wanting to get them)

Phu
05-27-2005, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=Phu] Get some cross-drilled/slotted rotors, EBC brake pads, Koni adj. shocks and struts :evillol: [\QUOTE]

Could you tell me where you got these things from and part #'s and prices?

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm really interested in the shocks and struts more than the roters and pads right now though.(I just got new ones not to long ago)

Can the adj. ones be used with lowering springs?(still wanting to get them)

I picked up the rotors on ebay from Rennen Motors (http://stores.ebay.com/Rennen-Motors_W0QQssPageNameZl2QQtZkm) for $98 +shipping.

I'm thinking the Koni's should work with the Apex springs. We'll find out when I get mine. Found a place out of Canda that had them in stock but they want a copy of my CC and ID. Not gonna do that.

Add your comment to this topic!