Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Error Codes

TnT_Motorsports
04-20-2005, 09:13 PM
Have a 2000 2.4L 2 door alero. How do I check for error codes? The check engine, trac, abs... lights are all on. Suspect wheel bearing like others here say, but need to know if it is bearing or just sensor.

In my Dodge GC you can check codes on the dash is there the same thing for the Alero?

Thanks
Todd

BNaylor
04-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Have a 2000 2.4L 2 door alero. How do I check for error codes? The check engine, trac, abs... lights are all on. Suspect wheel bearing like others here say, but need to know if it is bearing or just sensor.

In my Dodge GC you can check codes on the dash is there the same thing for the Alero?

Thanks
Todd

Since your 00 Alero is odb-ii compliant, the DTC error codes have to be read with an odb-ii scanner/code reader off the data port. This problem is typically one of the sensors.

pp270
04-22-2005, 06:57 AM
You can purchase a scanner off of Ebay for around $50 or just goto autozone to have it scanned at no cost. A Haynes manual will have the general codes and descriptions. I had the same questions when I had to change out some bearings. The codes won't tell you which is bad (bearing or sensor) you will have to change out the whole unit. Autozone has them for around $110ea.

Add your comment to this topic!