Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ABS Computer problems

VWSalinNYC
04-20-2005, 08:20 PM
Just curious if anyone has experienced the kind of problems I'm having with my 01 Passat GLX 5-speed.

Currently my car is in the dealer having all the brakes replaced and the ABS computer after attempting to avoid an accident. My ABS did not engage and my brakes locked causing major damages all around.

Question comes because I have been complaining about the ABS brakes since I bought the car new. I noticed that the car was not braking correctly and was more pronounced driving in rain. When applying the brakes they do not immediately engage and then engage hard causing the car to veer to the right. The car had been back and forth to the dealerships right from the start until my warranty ran out. VW corporate even told me that was the way the ABS was suppose to work with VWs and that I should just get used to it! Scary thing to get used to.

Now I am staring at a problem that I believe was caused by the malfunctioning ABS computer and a bill that is approaching $4,000. They are giving me back all the parts including the computer and I do intend to approach VW corporate again to try and get reimbursed for something that should have been replaced from the start.

Anyone else experiencing something like this? I should also add that the main computer was replaced after one month after the speedometer stopped working.

I'm not bashing the car. I've got almost 70,000 miles on it and I love the way it drives. I just always said that it was going to take an accident before someone figures out what is wrong with the braking system!

veedubmechanic
04-21-2005, 08:46 PM
If the brakes dont apply right away when you step on the brake pedal then theres air in the brake system.
THe abs control modules go bad alot on 98-01 passats... vw seems to fix the problem on 02+ models.

Add your comment to this topic!