Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

il orange peel effecto?

parkcaka
04-05-2002, 06:16 PM
i started my Mercedes-Benz CLK DTM 2000 Team Warsteiner kit as my order just came from hlj. i primed it with gray tamiya primer several coats. then i sprayed TS-14 2 coats for 2 days. After those 4 coats the paint have this orange peel you are talking about. im also building a mini cooper and i did same steps (except used white primer) and its soo shiny even without compound and polish.

so is my problem the gray primer, or do i need more coats. gray primer leaves a surface lot more sandy than white primer that may be the problem. also what im experiencing may not be a problem at all too. will this orange peel effect becomes shiny if i do compound and polish?

daggerlee
04-05-2002, 06:30 PM
compound and polish will remove the orange peel

you need to make sure your primer coat is very smooth before applying your color.

parkcaka
04-06-2002, 02:53 AM

parkcaka
04-06-2002, 04:11 AM
oh i found the answer to my problem!!! for the last coat (after i wrote the thread) i heated the can for about 5 min in hot water and it reaaaally shines. so what a fool i am, dan told about 50 times about heating the can but i just forgot about it for the first few coats.

MaxSE
04-06-2002, 10:02 AM
Whats' the science behind heating the spray paint can? why does it shine more. I've never tried it myself,is it becasuse the heat separates the paint molecules more evenly?!? what's up with that?:) :confused:

daggerlee
04-06-2002, 10:42 AM
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/plastic/tips/syntheticlacquers.html

Add your comment to this topic!