Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starter problem???? 1995 Pk. Ave.

jazzman143
04-20-2005, 12:17 PM
Hello to all you auto Yodas out there. I'm getting a little excited about Star Wars Episode III being released soon. However, I may not be able to get there if I don't resolve my current car problem.

My car usually starts fine in the mourning. If I drive a short distance and then turn the car off. I will usually be able to start it right away with no problem. But, if I drive a longer distance, turn the car off, then try to start it, I may get a few slow week cranks, before it stops trying to crank. The head lights, radio, etc. still working fine. If I wait about 20 minutes it will usually start. If I drive the care a over 30 minutes and turn the car off, I could wait upto an hour. This has been getting progressively worse over a 3 month period. I have put in a new battery. I'm thinking starter, but, could the starter have a heat problem? It's job is done after the car starts. Could ambient heat from the rest of the car cause the starter to fail like this? I would think a car would be easier to crank once it is heated up.

yogi_123rd
04-20-2005, 02:06 PM
More than likely, it's sounds like high resistance between the battery and the starter. Check and clean the wires coming from the battery of any corrosion buildup.

jazzman143
04-20-2005, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the response Yogi.
They are clean as a hospital operating room. I guess the cable could be bad though.

wrightz28
04-27-2005, 03:36 PM
I think you're dead on with the assumption of the starter itself (solenoid actually), it sits right behind the exhaust collector so there's heat, plus the heat from the engine it's self. Chances are it's old tired and baked. To be sure, you could have it tested, but if ir hasn't been replaced, chances are that's it.

Hope that helps ya out

volkerc
04-27-2005, 04:28 PM
Hello to all you auto Yodas out there. I'm getting a little excited about Star Wars Episode III being released soon. However, I may not be able to get there if I don't resolve my current car problem.

My car usually starts fine in the mourning. If I drive a short distance and then turn the car off. I will usually be able to start it right away with no problem. But, if I drive a longer distance, turn the car off, then try to start it, I may get a few slow week cranks, before it stops trying to crank. The head lights, radio, etc. still working fine. If I wait about 20 minutes it will usually start. If I drive the care a over 30 minutes and turn the car off, I could wait upto an hour. This has been getting progressively worse over a 3 month period. I have put in a new battery. I'm thinking starter, but, could the starter have a heat problem? It's job is done after the car starts. Could ambient heat from the rest of the car cause the starter to fail like this? I would think a car would be easier to crank once it is heated up.

definetely the solenoid on the starter.

wrightz28
04-27-2005, 04:33 PM
definetely the solenoid on the starter.

Yeah, I just hate to say soenoid, and that's all that gets replaced, 3 months down the road the brushes in starter fail, and you're ack to square one. Hence, replace them as the unit, as intended, cheap insurance and you'll only have to do it once.

jazzman143
04-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Yeah, I just hate to say soenoid, and that's all that gets replaced, 3 months down the road the brushes in starter fail, and you're ack to square one. Hence, replace them as the unit, as intended, cheap insurance and you'll only have to do it once.

Thanks for the input. I have not changed it out yet, but I did get a quote to have it done. It turns out the solenoid is inside the starter. But since I have a strong opinion now that's agreeing with my guess, I'll have it done. Thanks again.

Add your comment to this topic!