Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How do I dry Tamiya epoxy putty?

rupertaker
04-05-2002, 04:13 PM
After scratch building a few pieces, I can't get them to dry. Do I have to heat them up? Any tips? Thanks :flash:

turbos86
04-05-2002, 05:00 PM
Just give them a few hours and they'll dry. Depends on which type you are using. The normal type is ready for sanding in 12 hour (to be safe). Read the instruction sheet, it should say wait how long.

But if you soak the putty in water while mixing the 2 part together....they'll never dry (don't ask why i know)

rupertaker
04-05-2002, 05:14 PM
Hmm....

I didn't soak it in water, but when applieing and shaping it, I did get my fingers damp so it wouldn't stick to my hands....Is this going to keep it from drieing?

hirofkd
04-05-2002, 05:50 PM
Epoxy putty doesn't dry. It's not the type of putty, which solvent evaporates, but it hardens by chemical reaction. That's why it doesn't shrink so noticeably. It takes 4 - 12 hours depending on the brand, so you can have plenty of working time, unlike hobby putty or polyester putty.

Lownslow
04-06-2002, 12:16 AM
i dont have the patience to wait 4 to 12 hours to sand putty then again im glad i still havent opened the bottle yet i still use good ol Dynatron and bondo putty it depends on how much hardner you mix with it that justifies youre working time.

DONT HEAT IT YOULL FRY THE PART

endlesskev86
05-30-2002, 10:59 AM
i dun get how u would use plastic sheets with epoxy putty to make body-kits?:confused:

hirofkd
05-30-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by endlesskev86
i dun get how u would use plastic sheets with epoxy putty to make body-kits?:confused:
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~xr2h-fkd/scalemodels/project/ferrari/333sp/333sp01.htm
This might be a bit overwhelming, but it's one way of using plastic sheet and epoxy to make a body. I haven't connected those separate pieces, but when I do, I use epoxy putty, so that they can be smoothly connected.

Add your comment to this topic!