Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

K T M

glock 17
04-19-2005, 11:22 PM
How are the KTM bikes compared with the other guys? I've been thinking of getting a dirtibike again.

A 2stroke 125 would be the best im guessing since 250 is sorta overkill. So anyway... KTMs good bikes? or should i just go with the goold ole yamaha.

BNaylor
04-19-2005, 11:34 PM
How are the KTM bikes compared with the other guys? I've been thinking of getting a dirtibike again.

A 2stroke 125 would be the best im guessing since 250 is sorta overkill. So anyway... KTMs good bikes? or should i just go with the goold ole yamaha.

Although I'm partial to rice-burner bikes, the KTM is a good brand and bike. The KTM SX125 and SX250 are the fastest two-strokes in their
classes. The only drawback compared to the Jap bikes would be the suspension. Plus depending on where you live, it may be hard to get parts for them when you need them.

In the alternative you can't go wrong with a Yamaha YZ125 or 250.
Good luck!

72_supernova
06-24-2005, 05:45 PM
Although I'm partial to rice-burner bikes, the KTM is a good brand and bike. The KTM SX125 and SX250 are the fastest two-strokes in their
classes. The only drawback compared to the Jap bikes would be the suspension. Plus depending on where you live, it may be hard to get parts for them when you need them.

In the alternative you can't go wrong with a Yamaha YZ125 or 250.
Good luck!

I have a KTm 125sx its a 2000 and the suspension if not equal is much better then yz's or cr's. You can't go wrong with KTM they haul ass and are very dependeble. KTM uses basically there own drivetrain and then almost everything else is aftermarket. Renthal bars, exel rims, magura hydralic clutch/frnt brake, brembo brakes, acerbis plastics, and lots of other things. Just put on a exhaust system and you've got a worthy bike. Also the inner cylinder wall is nickle plated which means that if you ever blow the top end all if it doesn't put a gash thats super deep then you don't need to bore it out.

BNaylor
06-26-2005, 09:41 AM
I have a KTm 125sx its a 2000 and the suspension if not equal is much better then yz's or cr's. You can't go wrong with KTM they haul ass and are very dependeble. KTM uses basically there own drivetrain and then almost everything else is aftermarket. Renthal bars, exel rims, magura hydralic clutch/frnt brake, brembo brakes, acerbis plastics, and lots of other things. Just put on a exhaust system and you've got a worthy bike. Also the inner cylinder wall is nickle plated which means that if you ever blow the top end all if it doesn't put a gash thats super deep then you don't need to bore it out.

It doesn't make any difference what your subjective belief is. The KTMs have the worst suspension compared to the Japanese MX bikes, but a great engine. The rear linkage system is obsolete. Showa is the best and thats a proven fact at local and national MX tracks. I see more KTM racers dropping their bikes and never making the finish line.

Checkout this link:

http://www.dirtbikemagazine.com/detail.asp?id=261

The nickel plating you are referring to is called "nikasil". All modern MX bikes from 1997 and up have it including the Jap bikes. You don't bore out Nikasil cylinders when they wear out or get damaged. You have to get it re-sleeved and re-Nikasil plated which costs more money.

chargerphine
06-29-2005, 01:39 AM
kawasaki is the best. go with thier kx-250 if you want. its just my opinion!!

RoostRider
09-14-2005, 10:17 PM
ok, I gotta pipe in here... 'cause these guys are bozo's.... not a one of them even asked what you were going to be doing with this bike...

KTM makes GREAT bikes, and anyone who tells you different has bike envy... lol.... but it all depends on what you are going to do with the bike, and your abilities, as to what bike might suit you best.

Bananalor3400 has his head up his *you know what* when he starts spouting off about his "proven facts" (of which he shows absolutely NO proof... largely because it isn't there)

So, what will you be using it for? MX, FMX, SX, XC, trailriding, trials, dualsport, Enduro racing?

How agressive of a rider are you?

what is your height and wieght?

and most importantly... how much have you got to spend? looking for new? used? (how old?)

BNaylor
09-14-2005, 11:34 PM
Bananalor3400 has his head up his *you know what* when he starts spouting off about his "proven facts" (of which he shows absolutely NO proof... largely because it isn't there)

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions. But when you revert to name calling and personal attacks that's crossing the line.

If you read my previous messages in the thread I stated the KTM is a good bike but its not the best all around. You can have the fastest production bike around but it won't do you any get if you keep falling on your rear end because of obsolete suspension and that's a proven fact you can take to the bank. You haven't posted any facts to disprove me, other than your own subjective believe and opinion.

However, the 2 stroke KTMs do have nice features like the V Force reeds, Brembo brakes, hydraulic clutch, fat bars, etc. but not enough to convince me to buy one or compete with one.

Now just what KTM model do you own or any bike for that matter? Wasn't it a '01 KDX200 that got stolen???? And you're calling everyone a Bozo based on a KDX200? At least I post pics of my bike and I keep it in a garage with security system.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/lizzywiz/hondacr250.jpg

FormulaLT1
09-15-2005, 12:39 AM
ok, I gotta pipe in here... 'cause these guys are bozo's.... not a one of them even asked what you were going to be doing with this bike...

KTM makes GREAT bikes, and anyone who tells you different has bike envy... lol.... but it all depends on what you are going to do with the bike, and your abilities, as to what bike might suit you best.

So, what will you be using it for? MX, FMX, SX, XC, trailriding, trials, dualsport, Enduro racing?

How agressive of a rider are you?

what is your height and wieght?

and most importantly... how much have you got to spend? looking for new? used? (how old?)
Please be a little more respectful to fellow members when posting, such remarks as saying another member has there head up there whatever isn't needed when they haven't disrespected you in anyway or even if they did let the moderators handle it. So play nice, that will be all. Thank you :biggrin:

RoostRider
09-17-2005, 12:58 AM
Sorry... it was a little out of line... but this guy can't even use proper grammar.... and is quoting "proven facts", that are far from proven facts at all.... that kind of poor advice is what makes forums nearly useless for garnering truly helpfull information... it wrecks the potential good others are trying to accomplish

and that's a proven fact you can take to the bank. You haven't posted any facts to disprove me, other than your own subjective believe and opinion.

ummmmm.... I'm not the one going off about "proven facts" and failing to prove them... you are..... read my previous post if you want to know what I think about that.... since when was everything considered right until proven wrong?... you need some lessons in debate/studies/hypothesis etc.... it's your job to prove your claims....

So.... break out with the "proof"..... hotrod....

BTW- the KDX got ripped off, but I currently have a CR125, KDX200, KTM 250EXC, XR50, XR250 and a KX250 in the garage... guess which one performs best for EVERYTHING!!

I'm sure your digital camera and security system make you an excellent source of infinate wisdom regarding dirtbike selection... (all they proved to me is that you know how to polish aluminum.

I'm not claiming KTM is anything aside from a GREAT bike, what I am saying that you have to know what he wants to give good advice and that's a "proven fact you can take to the bank"

BNaylor
09-17-2005, 09:26 AM
Sorry... it was a little out of line... but this guy can't even use proper grammar.... and is quoting "proven facts", that are far from proven facts at all.... that kind of poor advice is what makes forums nearly useless for garnering truly helpfull information... it wrecks the potential good others are trying to accomplish

ummmmm.... I'm not the one going off about "proven facts" and failing to prove them... you are..... read my previous post if you want to know what I think about that.... since when was everything considered right until proven wrong?... you need some lessons in debate/studies/hypothesis etc.... it's your job to prove your claims....

So.... break out with the "proof"..... hotrod....

BTW- the KDX got ripped off, but I currently have a CR125, KDX200, KTM 250EXC, XR50, XR250 and a KX250 in the garage... guess which one performs best for EVERYTHING!!

I'm sure your digital camera and security system make you an excellent source of infinate wisdom regarding dirtbike selection... (all they proved to me is that you know how to polish aluminum.

I'm not claiming KTM is anything aside from a GREAT bike, what I am saying that you have to know what he wants to give good advice and that's a "proven fact you can take to the bank"

Roostrider, it wouldn't do any good to get into any further debates with you because all you do is go on the offensive, make snide remarks, and attack contributors to the various messages posted in the Dirt Bike forum as shown in your above comments and past messages below. I don't have to prove anything to you.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=457079

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=443113

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2790702#post2790702

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2695469#post2695469

Seriously, you should carefully consider the advice of FormulaLT1 and cool it.

RoostRider
09-17-2005, 10:59 AM
thats a cop out... "proven fact".... hahahahahahhahah...lololololol

anyways, now that he's out of the way...

Glock17, what kind of riding do you do etc....

FormulaLT1
09-17-2005, 05:33 PM
OK, this is just turning into bickerfest. So I am locking this sucker up. If the thread starter would like to create a new thread on the subject, thats fine but if anyone posts in a mocking manner again in that thread, I will be forced to ban that member for a week.

Add your comment to this topic!