Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

a/c driver side hotter

BuDog
04-19-2005, 09:28 PM
My '99 Century a/c blows warmer air on the driver side vents than the passenger side vents. Vehicle has dual zone climate control, and the problem is the same whether it's on the "norm" or "max" setting.

Compressor seal was replaced last year along with a freon recharge. Last summer the a/c because it never seemed to real cold, but it was acceptable. Dealer said it was normal. My Pontiac a/c, on the other hand, gets painfully cold.

Now this year, the Century driver's side is downright hot while passenger side is acceptably cool. I've heard about TSB 02-01-39-001. Is there another (cheaper) fix? Can I get in there and manhandle some piece of hardware to get the a/c colder? Thanks for any info.

jabroni54
08-10-2005, 06:20 AM
Before attempting to repair the electric actuator motor that controls the temp door, or guessing that the control head panel is defective along with any sesnsors in the cabin, have your A/C systems checked for the refrigerant level. I too only had warm to hot air blowing from the drivers vent in A/C max mode. Turns out that I had only 1/2 lb of 134A refrigerant in the system that calls for 2 1/4 lbs of refrigerant. The cost to evacuate the system and recharge cost me $93.00 to fix. So don't guess, have the charge in your A/C checked first then go from there....It costs about $550.00 FOR A CONTROL HEAD from the dealer and the labor is on ungodly when they have to dismantle the dash to do diagnostics on the temp door actuators and sensors.

Add your comment to this topic!