Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

got my 86 turbo... now i have more questions (sorry)

Ghetto-z
04-19-2005, 08:56 PM
lets see, i got it a few days back, i tuned it up (full ignition, tt fuel pump fuel filter, and the hardest timing belt in the world :banghead:)

now i want to go a bit faster (for merging only :iceslolan) so i got a K&N cone and a 3" id/od coupler to delete the resonator.

a universal muffler, 3" turboback offroad exaust is being bent on thursday

and i want to make a boost controller, can somebody tell me the location (pictures?) of the hose coming from the compressor, and the ID of the hose, because i have a brass needle valve (blead off) with a t fitting w/ .25" flared ends laying around and if that will fit i'd be real happy

lastly has anyone heard about the spearco knockoff kits? i want an intercooler as soon as i finish paying off the SNAP-ON NAZI

which brings me to my last point, althou my job description is a mechanic im really just a parts changer (i suck at diagnosing anything other that suspension problems) so please treat me with the same newbishness as anyone else

stephenp
04-20-2005, 08:48 PM
actually try these types as apposed

http://www.geocities.com/chmwatson/FAQs/mbc.html

http://www.zeeyalater.net/mods.htm#booster

http://www.ozdat.com/ozdatonline/techstuff/boost.htm

Ghetto-z
04-20-2005, 10:08 PM
thank you, i really appriciate those links, today i was looking at ball and spring type as apposed to bleed off and almost spent $50 ordering from boost valve (actually i was just about to before checking this response. i didnt realise that something that a manufacturer is selling would actually be so much simpler to build :banghead: thank you!

ExTrEmEDrIfT
04-20-2005, 10:16 PM
yah i have that 1st setup ball and spring type boost controller and it only cost me liek $5 had to go somewhere differant to find a ball bearing

lol i actually had to buy two cause the first one i bought without comparing it to teh fittings and my friend put it inside the valve and it fell through the hose barb but i took the MBC in with me and bought the second i havent hooker it up yet but i will sooner or later after rebuild or when i get a boost gauge

stephenp
04-22-2005, 10:50 AM
yeah it aught to work good just dont over boost cuz it can really ruin you r day and your engine
you can actually test prior to hooking it up if you got an adjustible pressure regulkator that goes to low psi

hook the boost controller to the compressor at 2 psi lower than you want your car to boost to then up it 1 and see if it starts to bleed (any hissing or notisible sounds or feeling the air
if none raise it to the psi you want it set to if it starts to barely hiss you got it and increase it just a hair and it should pop off and start to bleed it that means your good aas long as when you let the psi drop below it closes again
i could go more into detail but usually a rough idea to get the noggin workin alows the people to fill in the blancks good luck

Add your comment to this topic!