Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Legacy Cap

ViperJ
04-19-2005, 07:11 PM
I know that people will post that caps are useless, thats fine your opion is noted. Check out http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?icatid=309&stk_code=leglca300drd&svbname=403 is this cap any good? If not what are some other caps that are about the same price $60? I don't need a fancy one just on to work with my system (2000W Performance Teknique Amp, 10" MTX Subs). Thanks in advance

notladstyle@yahoo.
04-19-2005, 08:38 PM
I know that people will post that caps are useless, thats fine your opion is noted. Check out http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?icatid=309&stk_code=leglca300drd&svbname=403 is this cap any good? If not what are some other caps that are about the same price $60? I don't need a fancy one just on to work with my system (2000W Performance Teknique Amp, 10" MTX Subs). Thanks in advance

Caps should be rated at 16v +/-5% for best efficiency in a car. 20-24v will not do you any good, most of the equipment in a car would not operate at 20v

Brandish
04-19-2005, 09:42 PM
^^^^
Efficiency??? Please elaborate... Most car audio caps will be rated at least 20V anyways.

A cap is a cap... Find an electronics distributor that will sell a 1 farad capacitor to you off the shelf with no fancy logos for less than half the price. Just remember to use a resistor or charging bulb.

ngsm13
04-19-2005, 11:52 PM
1) Caps are useless
2) Legacy is trash

3) Don't do it

NG

notladstyle@yahoo.
04-20-2005, 07:43 AM
^^^^
Efficiency??? Please elaborate... Most car audio caps will be rated at least 20V anyways.

A cap is a cap... Find an electronics distributor that will sell a 1 farad capacitor to you off the shelf with no fancy logos for less than half the price. Just remember to use a resistor or charging bulb.

20v capacitors to not offer as fast transient response(they don't smooth the spikes as well) and the electrical capacity is slightly less than a 16v capacitor would be. eg. Charging a 20v capacitor at 14.5 volts will exceed its lower tolerance rating and will result in a lowered capacitance while a 14.5 volts to a 16v cap will be within tolerance specs.

Most cheaper caps are rated at 20v, 16v are a little more expensive. You will very rarely find a 20v 1 farad capacitor. You will more than likely find 1 farad 350v caps which will do you no good. Legacy makes 2nd tier products anyways.

germanyt
04-20-2005, 05:28 PM
if you really feel you need a cap or maybe you just want one for looks, you pretty much cant go wrong. i dont believe any one company is better at making caps than any other. the only thing that really differs is the voltage, ampherage, and the size. two caps with the same of each of these from different companies are going to work exactly the same.

Add your comment to this topic!