Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Problems with '97 Signals

StillUnregestired
04-19-2005, 05:09 PM
This started back in December, my tail lights and turn signals both went out at the same time. I picked up a "Haynes" book and replaced the brake pressuse sensor and the turn signal flasher (saves almost $30 buy from local parts store instead of Jeep Dealer), that fix the problem that time. Now the turnsignals are no longer working again, I've replaced the flasher, bulbs and all my fuses, none of which were bad. Still my signals refuse to work, should I take it to a shop or is the something I have missed?

StillUnregestired
04-21-2005, 04:49 PM
More Information, I've noticed that my right front/side light is out until I push the right turn signal on, then it is on only until I let off the switch. Another thing which I noticed on the way home from work was that if i have the brake down (any bit at all) and use the signals my dash board arrows come on briefly if i hold the signal switch at a certain position.
Something like this (this is a bad model, i apologize)

\ Left on (doesn't work)
\- nothing
\-- + Brakes applied:Left Arrow comes on briefly.
=== default position
/-- + Brakes applied:Right Arrow comes on briefly.
/- nothing
/ Right on (Right front/side light comes on, no turn signals)

Could this be a bigger issue that i had previously thought? I.E. Short in one of the wires or bad ground?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

zenith360
04-29-2005, 04:49 PM
Replace the turn signal switch inside the steering column. (The switch will include the turn signal arm). It is a wafer switch, whose contacts oxidize when exposed to salt and/or humidity. If you leave your top off frequently or live near seawater, this problem may develop.

Your Hayne's manual will explain how to replace it. It is easy, taking about 1-2 hours. The switch costs $41 at Autozone.

I had the same problem with my 97 Jeep Wrangler a few years ago. When contacts oxidize inside the wafer switch mechanism, they form cross-shorts ==> causing strange lighting events. For example, my Jeep's headlight's turned off every time I used the turn signal. My brake lights would likewise turn off, or the hazard lights would indicate on the console (but without engaging the brake lights). The possibilities and combinations are numerous depending on what contacts oxidize. Refer to the wiring diagram in the back of your Hayne's manual for more info.

Good luck.

Mike

GreenJeep10
04-29-2005, 10:38 PM
I would say its the switch also. Replaced mine back in Feb. Here is the post I left. Telling how to do it. I ordered my switch from JEEPSAREUS.com think it was 42$ but shipping was like 11$. Good Luck and I hope this solves your problem.

Feb. Post
I just got done replacing my turn signal switch on my 97 wrangler. I had the same problem when turning right it wouldn't shut off. Found a website that told how to do it and it looked easy as pop the old one out a put the new one in........Its alittle tricker than that but still not hard. First remove lower dash srews. Lower dash hinges down but will bind on the head light switch and ignition key ring. Lift the lower dash abit to clear the light switch and if the interior is warm the lower dash will flex enough to get around the key ring. Then remove the 3 screws on the bottom of the steering column. The lower portion of the column will not come off unless you remove the ignition key ring. I was able to leave it on. The top potion is abit of a pain. Lower the steering wheel to increase your area to work. Then move, tweek and jostle the thing outta there. Again a warn intererior will make the pastic alittle more flexable. When you remove that you will notice a rubber rain cover over the hazard and turn signal switch. You need to remove it but be careful. Mine was glued down. I used a puddy knife a carefully scraped it until it was off. I kept it in one peice with a few tears at glue points. The remove the 2 screws one the top of the bracket around the switch, the bottom screw is a T25 torkes. To get to this I used a small ratchet. After the bracket is removed the switch lifts out with the 2 wire bundles in the back still attached. Removed the wire connections and it is completely out. Keep an eye on the cable fot the tilt steering I knocked mine off while removing the top portion of the column. Removing the cable from the tilt handle may give you more room to remove and insert the new switch. To reinstall do the things I discribed in reverese. TEST SWITCH BEFORE CONTINUEING......Getting the top portion is abit of a pain but be patient and you will get it. When getting the lower dash back on hook in the lower hinges and lift up. Again the ignition ring and light switch will bind. Flex the lower dash to the right to get around the key ring and besure that the left side hinges don't come out. To get the lower dash over the light switch gently push on the lower side of the dash and it will flex enough to get around the light switch. Replace screws and you are done. Time for a test drive. I hope this helps anyone who needs to relplace a turn signal switch on 97 and up wranglers.

Add your comment to this topic!