Did the 2000 Cavalier ever come with sway bars from the factory?

Nightmare by GM
04-19-2005, 12:53 PM
Ok guys, I have a really nice, clean 2000 2.2 Cavalier base coupe.

It handles like a pig on crack. What Chevy Cavalier or Pontiac Sunbird models came with beefy sway bars front and rear?

If you guys can give a hint, I'll check out my local junk yards and see if I can snag a sway bar for my car. I know that Chevy didn't change the Cavalier very much since 1995, I just don't know what models had sway bars.

Thanks!!

Regards, The Nightmare.......

Nightmare by GM
04-22-2005, 03:15 AM
Hey, I got under my car today and I can tell you that it DOES NOT have any sway bars front OR rear. I can see the holes in the lower control arms where the end links SHOULD be, but nada, nothing.

So, I went to the local junkyard and found four wrecked Cavaliers. Only one had a factory front sway bar, and it was a 1996 with a 2.2 and a 5-speed. It took me about an hour to get it off, but I had to drop the sub frame. That was the only to get the damn thing out. In other words, the sway bar is installed on the sub frame before the sub frame is installed on the car. (Typical GM engineering).

Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can get the sway bar installed on my 2000 Cavalier, without having to disconnect the rack and pinion from the steering column.

Regards, The Nightmare......

Classicrocjunkie
04-22-2005, 10:00 AM
Personally... i would have gotten an aftermarket one. They are much stiffer.

Nightmare by GM
04-25-2005, 09:44 PM
My friend has an 86 Cavalier wagon, and his front sway bar is twice as thick as the one I found at the junk yard from a 96 Cavalier coupe.

Anyone know if the earlier body style Cavalier sway bar will fit the newer bodystyle?

If so, I will get hte earlier sway bar.

Thanks! The Nightmare...

Add your comment to this topic!