Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What happened to my RX-7???

Bas Carwash
04-19-2005, 11:50 AM
What the hell happened to my paintjob? Here it is -->

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/BasCarwash/Bomex%20RX-7/Tape_problem.jpg

As I was peeling of the masking tape after painting the window trims, the paint stuck to the tape. I used Tamiya masking tape. Never had a problem with it. Must be the paint...

You guys propably can answer my question. This is what I did:
- Tamiya primer, grey and then white
- After about four weeks, first two coats of Humbrol enamel with my brandnew airbrush. Dried for about one week.
- Wet sanded with 2000 grit sandpaper and again two coats of humbrol enamel. Dried for two weeks.
- Wet sanded with 2000 grit sandpaper, and after that two coats of Testor gloss cote.

What went wrong? Did you guys ever had any problems with something similar? Could it maybe be the fact that I didn't really do mist coats after the primer? More like gloss coats... Any advizes for next time?

Thanks, Bas

proosen
04-19-2005, 11:56 AM
Humbrol on Tamiya's primer is the problem. I had this reaction to and I got as upset as you are for the moment. It seems that nothing but laquers stick to the Tamiya primer (don't know about acrylics?) If you intend to use enamels shoot them on enamel base coats to stay out of trouble.
I'm sorry about the ruined paint job, maybe you can peel most of Humbrol paint off with some kind of stickier (spelling?) tape and sand off the rest and start over with TS-colours instead.

Good Luck!
Niclas

MPWR
04-19-2005, 12:54 PM
Acrylics seem to stick just fine to Tamiya primer- but I've never used Humbrol enamels, so this could be the problem. Is the paint peeling down to the layer of white primer, or to bare plastic? If it's just to the white primer, and the primer appears more or less intact, you can strip the rest of the paint while not harming the plastic by soaking in CSC/Purple Power or the like. Give it a good scrubbing with dish soap and an old toothbrush, and paint it again- with something else!

Scale-Master
04-19-2005, 02:10 PM
I think Proosen and MPWR are correct. You might try oven cleaner to strip what the tape won't pull off.
I haven't any problems with acrylics on Tamiya primer, but I don't use them much either. I'd use the TS color over the primer, it almost always works well... - Mark

Sticky Fingers
04-19-2005, 02:25 PM
Feelin ur pain man. Lesson learned through unfortunate circumstances. :(

Bas Carwash
04-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Is the paint peeling down to the layer of white primer, or to bare plastic? If it's just to the white primer, and the primer appears more or less intact, you can strip the rest of the paint while not harming the plastic by soaking in CSC/Purple Power or the like. Give it a good scrubbing with dish soap and an old toothbrush, and paint it again- with something else!

Yup that's the plan. The paint is down to the primer. It's just that the paint won't stuck to the primer. I'll probably just use TS-17 this time to make it look (a little) the way I wanted it. I'll try to find special primer for this stuff. I like to airbrush the bodies as I'm able to use my own made colors, and also replicate colors from real cars. I'll be doing Nismo R34 in Midnight Purple soon. I'll see how that one turns out.

Thanks for the support guys!

ImolaEK
04-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Feelin ur pain man. Lesson learned through unfortunate circumstances. :(

Same here:(

Fkouch
04-19-2005, 07:04 PM
If you can get access to white spirits that should remove the enamel without even damaging the lacquer.

Cheers

Farrokh

primera man
04-19-2005, 08:17 PM
How long did u leave the tape on after doing the trim?

SchuberT
04-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Metallic paints in general don't like to stick to primer as well as others... I've had this problem multiple times with golds and silvers.

Bas Carwash
04-20-2005, 02:59 AM
How long did u leave the tape on after doing the trim?

I actually pulled it right of after I painted it. The paint was still wet. I learned about that problem on another model :D

Add your comment to this topic!