Saturn Mods

mysatilac
04-19-2005, 02:26 AM
Most of you have seen the Mods I've done to my Saturn, but I'd like to hear about all the Performance and Asthetic Mods that YOU guys have done to your Saturns, including Performance, Paint Mods, Stereo Systems, Lowering, anything, and what you want to do to it

Here are my mods: Maroon '97 SL1 (SOHC) 1.9L 4 Cyl. 5 Speed,

3" Cone Filter on aluminum "SRI" intake tube
4" Burnt Tip Stainless Steel Muffler
2 - 12" JBL Subs and 2 - 6.5" powered by 250 Watt Clarion amp, with electronic crossover, on an aftermarket head unit
A Celtic Cross Seat Cover for comfort
Upgraded head light bulbs
Full Synthetic Oil
Platinum 2 Spark Plugs
Tinted Rear Windows
Nice Hub Caps (Man Rims are expensive)
Racing Petals
SHORT Shifter
Carbon Fiber Gauge Bezel
Aftermarket Fog Lights
Painted ALL caps under the hood, + battey tie down (Silver)
Painted Valve Cover (Red)
Painted Several Interior Pieces (Maroon)
Painted Tan Line off of Tail lights (Maroon)
Painted Rubber Key Head (Maroon)
Painted Saturn Bumper Insignia (Maroon)
*Bored Throttle Body, Knife Edged Throttle Plate
*Flip Flop "Suicide" Trunk Mod
*Daytime running lights (DRLs) on a 3 way switch
These 3 Mods with the * are available for Free/Cheap, and all have how tos contained in the Saturn SC/SL/SW forum, just search for the keywords

Soon to Come:
New Ignition Coils, and Wires
Full Exhaust (2.25" - 2.5"), Prob. dump before rear tire
True Short Throw Shifter
Shift Knob
Reverse Euro Glow Gauges
Painted Exhaust Manifold, Intake Manifold, U/H Fuse Panel, Windshield Wiper Blades, and all reservoirs (White, Maroon)
600 Watt Amp
Diamond Plate Floor Mats
Interior Neons
More Interior Paint (Maroon)
Re-Paint Valve Cover to Maroon
Second Seat Cover
Shaved Trunk Lock
L/P Frames
Possible Lowering
Real Rims, Low Profile Tires
Front Sway Bar
Painted Calipers
LOTS MORE!

My paint, stereo, and trunk mods can be seen here in my gallery
My Gallery (http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=278444)

jgeib
04-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Hey, I've posted with you on the power window issue recently. I don't have any pictures or anything, but I've done a few things to mine. It's now become my to and from work car. It's a 97' SC2 with the twin cam with the 5-speed. I've done a little modification to the stock air box to get more direct air flow to the intake pipe. I've installed a K&N filter, high flow plug wires and Bosch platinum plugs. That's about it to the motor.

I cut off the (down spout) type muffler tip and put on a chrome straight tip. The brown down spout looked pretty cheesy I thought. The factory alloy wheels are still on it but I upgraded the tires to a 215 wide instead of the 195s that are O.E.M.

I had a couple of the factory speakers that started rattling a little so I installed Rocford fosgate 6 1/2 2-ways in the back and Kenwood 6 1/2 2-ways in the front with a new Pioneer CD dash unit. The kit looks like yours with the little tray above the receiver.

Other than that it's pretty much factory. I think 97 was pretty close to when the changed the body style of the SC2. It's got the factory lip spoiler which looks pretty good. People have a hard time believing that it is an eight year old car with 130,000 miles on it. We kept it around and decided not to trade it when we bought our new Mazda 3 Sport. (That is a sweet car, we love it, not the subject at hand though) The old saturn still looks nice, runs great, gets great gas mileage, is paid for, and they wouldn't have given us crap for it as a trade-in so were going to hold on to it for a while.

Just curious, how fast have you had yours up to. I don't think mines got a governor. I've had it to 127 mph racing a friend with a Jeep Grand Cherokee limited with the 318 in it. We were pretty much dead even until I passed him when his governor kicked in and then we started running out of road so I had to let off. Other than that I don't go much above 90 very often. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

sickcallawayc12
04-19-2005, 06:50 PM
alright, i have more random stuff than anyone probably but here it is:

Short ram intake w/ k & n filter
hi flow radiator
APC DRL & lo beam bulbs
APC grille
blue foglamps
Kumho performance tires
tinted windows
Konig double adjustable wing (yes, wing)
dual flowmaster mufflers w/ custom exhaust from the cat back
92 sc header
pioneer 1600 deck
pioneer speakers
pioneer amp
2 12" kenwood subs w/ bandpass box
racing pedals
momo shift knob
white face gauges
beltronics radar detector

things to come:
sps honned intake manifold
rebuild cylinder head with added valves hopefully this week and may shave it upon arrival
replace intake w/ AEM cold air
replace flowmasters w/ 4" diam. titanium unit
replace pioneer deck w/ something

once again, random, but looks sweet and is damn fun to drive.

Onimacus
04-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Full Exhaust (2.25" - 2.5"), Prob. dump before rear tire

Are you going turbo? If not i would recommend the 2.25" piping would be perfect. If you are going turbo then the 2.5" is a must :)

mysatilac
04-20-2005, 05:02 PM
I would but I'm on a very limited budget...
Since I made the list I added race pedals (because I forgot them)

And I just cut down my shifter so I've got a very short shifter now,
Took off about 2" now added to the list

Yeah, I figured that 2.25 was fine, thought about 2" but wasn't enough of a change for the price,

May get an exhaust manifold too, any suggestions?

scarecrow0529
04-21-2005, 12:53 PM
hey how did you get the paint to stick to your interior pieces i tried that with a sunbird i had and the damn paint kept flaking off.

mysatilac
04-21-2005, 12:58 PM
I have had no problems using Krylon Fusion for Plastics, its available in a variety of colors and finishes, I used classic Burgandy
Krylon Fusion (http://www.krylon.com/main/product_template.cfm?levelid=5&sub_levelid=10&content=product_list) but make sure you follow the directions on the back of the can exactly, no sanding no priming, and follow ideal weather condions (humidity, temp) for best adhesion, clean well with ammonia and water before using Krylon, when dry lay down a light coat followed by full coats
I have also used normal spray paint under the hood for the caps, but I have had to re-paint a few pieces...

Tylerc161
04-22-2005, 12:14 PM
definately follow all the heat requirements. i painted my stuff over the winter in my garage.. nothing held.. i just repainted it all, and its holding very well. mods for me:

Custom Smokes Taillights (<$10)

Custom painted interior:
-Around CD area
-Around gague cluster
-pocket down from shifter

5000k Low beams
5000k Fog lights

Custom pin striping
-2 stripes following right along the hood endentions
-single stripe on whole side of car following endention

Sony Xplod 700(i think) head unit.
Treo SSi 12" 1600w sub in $200 custom box JUST for my sub.
Relocated rear speaker wires to trunk area and put in 2 6x9's built into custom made cover for rear storage area.

mysatilac
04-22-2005, 01:53 PM
What kind of tint did you use for the tail lights?

Tylerc161
04-22-2005, 02:43 PM
actually, i went to my local model car shop. its spray on tint, used to tiny the windows of model cars. took me 2 small cans to do both lights, and i still have some left. They were about $4.50 a piece. I just yesterday decided i would add some finishing touches, and i decided to gloss coat them. which, wasnt necessary, they looked fine before.. but they look better now.. tomorrow is car day for me, im going to rip out all the seats and vaccume, detail the outside, and detail the inside. since sunday is a local car show/race at KCIR in kansas city. but as i was going to say, i will take pictures tomorrow after i clean it.

mysatilac
04-22-2005, 02:51 PM
The gloss will help with the longevity of the lights, since it will now be clear coat that is worn away before the tint,
Yeah, I was looking more for a brand name, I know you use spray on tint
But since you used model car tint,
I'll probably just find myself a can of window tint online,
Do you know how many ounces per bottle you used,
Since my car is maroon, and black tail lights would stick out like a sore thumb, I think I'm going to candy red the orange turn signals to make them match the rest of the tail lights, and blend in,,
Probably still gonna tint the head lights and side markers though,

stephenp
04-26-2005, 11:47 AM
car 92 saturn sl2
mods
gutted interior no rear seats,dash carpet heater assembly its all gone
3" cone mounted directly to intake
forced air induction hood scoop (fully functioning)
header 4. 2. 1 style modified to be 4 2 x style dual 2" vented out each side(dual glass packs oooh silence lol)
low profile tires(doesnt sound like much but one of the biggest improvements to the car
a chip for the iat sensor
hooked up toggle for ignition
soon to place plastic bucket seats
plugs wires and coil packs

future mods
gonna remove rear deack and metal faces of doors so they are hollow plastic
maybe be stupid and heat the springs for lower appearence (who needas handling lol)
and maybe a newer engine rebuilt ported poolished oversized everything and a cam ...... nah nissan first sorry but yeah
unless somebody knows how i can get a turbos boost not to screw up the ecu??? any theorys lol i got a turbo justy layiung around lol

mysatilac
04-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Nice,
I'm into looks when it comes to my car, and I cant get rid of my system, so for me it doesn't sound too functional, but still sounds badass

What kinda hood scoop did you use, any pics?

toggle switch ignition huh? I hope you keep your doors locked :lol:

I may try moving my cone to my TB, but I've only heard bad things about that... b/c of intake tempertures

What kinda Nissan? 240SX?

sierrap615
04-26-2005, 01:21 PM
unless somebody knows how i can get a turbos boost not to screw up the ecu??? any theorys lol i got a turbo justy layiung around lol

goto turbosaturns.net and search for the member "BBB" he will help you(for a small fee of course)

stephenp
04-28-2005, 10:14 PM
umm 300zx turbo old school 84 50th anneversery lots of mods but i spun a bearimng 3 days after head gasket replacement so im gonna bomb in the saturn again and as for looks i got a bonnevile for that and the saturn is actually one of the fastest 4 bangers in my town beaten by 1(not yet but i think hes gonna win,also no turbo civics anymore they toasted, but its a turbo talon that is gonna be my beater (as in he will beat me im told) but i dont know im a plastic can thatll do 55 crossing the street(you like that 0 to 55 crossing the street no lie) of coarse thats a 3000 rpm clutch dump and a rapid slam of the clutch and bang second chirp and hit 3rd i put it back on the road today couldnt even make it to that gas station it was loud as shitt gotta quite it down somehow oops
and as for the toggles the wheel still locks so it not that easy but i left it in my buddies yard and somebody thought that theyed take it for a joy ride but couldnt get it and nowe the ign dont work only enogh to lock ther wheel
oh yeah and an oversized throttle bodie off of a 93 geo storm
and its a homemade hood scoop lol the lovely tin and bondo trick does wonders lol

stephenp
04-28-2005, 10:17 PM
also put a functional hood scoop on and no problems anymore about the engine heating your intake ever again

daveshapellSVT
11-09-2005, 04:34 PM
2002 Saturn Sl1(sohc power house)
-Aem intake
-JVC deck
-short shifter

I'm inteested in knowing what a fully bolted SL1 could make at the wheels. i know theres not much after market stuff out there but i'm wondering how much power could be made with bolt ons. my saturns slower then george W. thank god i have a formula lol

shaner123
11-09-2005, 06:18 PM
i wash mine from time to time.. thats about it

daveshapellSVT
11-14-2005, 01:05 PM
shit i don't even change the oil in mine

sickcallawayc12
11-16-2005, 07:44 PM
alright, i have more random stuff than anyone probably but here it is:

Short ram intake w/ k & n filter
hi flow radiator
APC DRL & lo beam bulbs
APC grille
blue foglamps
Kumho performance tires
tinted windows
Konig double adjustable wing (yes, wing)
dual flowmaster mufflers w/ custom exhaust from the cat back
92 sc header
pioneer 1600 deck
pioneer speakers
pioneer amp
2 12" kenwood subs w/ bandpass box
racing pedals
momo shift knob
white face gauges
beltronics radar detector

things to come:
sps honned intake manifold
rebuild cylinder head with added valves hopefully this week and may shave it upon arrival
replace intake w/ AEM cold air
replace flowmasters w/ 4" diam. titanium unit
replace pioneer deck w/ something

once again, random, but looks sweet and is damn fun to drive.
Okay thought i would update this list a little. If i plan to get a manifold at all, i will go to www.saturnmotorsports.com, decided to stick with a plain ol rebuilt cylinder head, got the AEM CAI, got an APC titanium muffler and replaced the whole exhaust system to acommodate the size of the muffler's diameter inlet, which is like 2 3/8 inches i believe.

bradan
11-17-2005, 12:37 AM
ah, I have the same car. except I cant remember the last time I mine looked like that. I have looked everywhere but cant find anykind of altezza or euro for mine. my cousin bought them for his sl1 ('98 or '99). I was just curios if through all those mods if you had seen any?

daveshapellSVT
11-17-2005, 06:05 PM
only thing i would ever to to any saturn is a turbo kit. thats the only hope a saturn has. boost

Add your comment to this topic!