Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help with speakers and their performance

BobChestnut
04-18-2005, 10:55 PM
Ok here is the scenario, i have a pair of 6X8" 4 way Pioneer coaxial speakers in my doors they are taking 2 chanels a peice from my deck, then i have a pair of audiobahn 6X9 component speakers in a box behnd the seats.(ik the "there is no such thing as 6x9 component" but there is) My problem is that the audiobahn's have really good treble but absoutly horrible mid and low range sound. The amp that i have powering the audiobhan's is putting a hair short of the rms that they take and the pioneer's are gettig a hair more then they need. I was wondering why the audiobhan's sounded so horrible when i turn the voulume up and then pioneer's are amazing. Also there is a bass bost on the amp that i have and when its on the bass is of corse louder but at higher vol. it distorts horrible but when its off there is no bass what so ever.

I had subs in my pickup but sold them to buy these and have regreted it since i hooked them up. I sold the subs cause they were just overbaring and were too loud. What i have now is just plain horrible there are cars with stock speakes that have way batter sound them this. If any one can help its appreciated. Thank You.

germanyt
04-19-2005, 12:55 AM
the reason that the audiobahns dont sound as well as you would like them to is because they require very precise tuning to really get everything out of them. i bet if you put the 6x9s in an enclosure they would sound a lot better. audiobahn is a looks company mostly. now, they do have some pretty good products but they need so much attention. the power has to be just right as does the box size and design, the air space in the vehicle needs to be a certain amount. they are very high maintenance and they do not hold up it this attention to detail is not given. most people buy the audiobahn subs because of the looks. hell, the crome flames are cool lookin. people buy the tens and twelves and invert them and do all kinds of crazy shit to have a nice looking system but unless they are willing to spend an unbelievable amount of money they will never get them to sound right or pound without frying voice coils or destruction due to over excursion. i personally think that audiobahn has good product and i expect to see a lot of improvement over the next few years. i think they have given themselves a bad name due to the fact that many people buy their stuff and blow it or fry it because they are treating it like a (just for comparison) piece of rubber when it should be treated like glass. they have the ability to be some of best systems ever heard but they need to build some more user friendly car audio. i now its long and drug out but that is what i think about audiobahn. as far as your 6x9s, if you have a way to enclose them maybe you could try that. otherwise you might want to look into a more car environment freindly brand.

BobChestnut
04-19-2005, 02:36 PM
Ok that is very helpful i kida wish i would have knowen that befor i bought them but nowits more of a learning experience/challenge for me. I just have one more question about them. I have them in a sealed box which has a lot of air inside it about .85 cf. I know that that is too much for these little speakers but i have never seen any where how much space should be used for a speaker i always see subs. Could any one could help me by telling me how much space i should cut my box down to?

germanyt
04-19-2005, 02:59 PM
wall mart sells a 6x9 box. im not sure what cub. ft. it is but it is typically the right size for just about any 6x9. something like 10x7x5. i believe a cub.ft is 1728 cubic inches. your enclosure is 1468.8 cub in. the wall mart ones are like 350 to 400 cub. in. now 1000 cubic inches might not seem like much but if you figure it pecentage wise it is a huge difference. hope i helped

BobChestnut
04-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Thank you that did help i supose i can mess aroudn with it and find the best size for my speakers. I have a 3/4 oak board box that i built myself its really nice alot nice then the other boxes that i've seen. The reason i like it i have it varnished and i love wood grain. But you were lots of help thx.

Add your comment to this topic!