Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Malibu engine temperature

djdpls
04-18-2005, 06:05 PM
I have a 2004 Malibu (purchased new in Nov 04). When idling, with the A/C off, the engine temperature gauge climbs to over the 1/2 mark -- almost to the red mark. Is this normal? The dealership tells me it is normal and that all Malibus idle at the temperature.

wpbharry
04-18-2005, 06:44 PM
My '04 Maxx LS with the 3500 always reads exactly at the mid-point of the guage when it reaches operating temp. A member in another forum, who bought his Maxx the same week I bought mine, complained that his guage reads about 2/3 of the way up when it reaches operating temp. My Maxx was built in late April '04; his in early May '04. We have totally different problems. Just goes to prove that the day of the week does matter. Mine's a Tuesday, his a Monday. His troubles have been worse.

I'm assuming you have the V-6 and not the 4. If so, you have a problem and I'd question that dealer's service dept's honesty, TBH.

Although a bit unrelated (though not totally since the engines share a common lineage), the temp guage in my former '98 Malibu LS (V-6) also always sat exactly at the mid-point when warm.

andbro
04-19-2005, 06:54 PM
My Malibu LS 2004 at idle is always steady at mid-point.

Add your comment to this topic!