Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need help mastering the ice.

Wild Cobra Z28
04-18-2005, 10:33 AM
OK, I can race like hell on the Tarmac, and pretty good on the dirt, but the Ice Arena is hell for me. Am I just going too fast still.... or are there setting changes as well to pull the driving of these off right?

I gave up early... fruustrated... but I still need to beat the Ice Arena races in Normal and Hard in Special Conditions Events.... Were the 5 second penalties are killers. I've been using the Evo VIII MR GSR. What are the other great cars for the ice?

lamehonda
04-21-2005, 09:01 PM
I don't know if you like cheating or not, but throwing the car into the corner at high speed under full throttle and bouncing the rear of the car off the wall is the fastest way I have found to drive on ice.

gigglesnirt
04-21-2005, 10:07 PM
i think you should just give up.......
no jk ummmm have you tried not slamming on the x button? it might not seem like it but the buttons on the controllers are sensetive to how hard you push, so just be really gentle on throttle thats how i did it.

TAFKADY
04-22-2005, 03:02 AM
Have you noticed the following: if you hit the opponent or the wall with your front you get the penalty, but if you hit him/it with your side or your rear you don't? This way you'll be able to go full speed into the turns using a drift to lean your back against the wall. You get no penalty, you can apply full throttle and you should at least be able to win "Normal"-level. Always let the outside wall guide you through the corners! And don't forget to set high values for your differential.

Good luck!

Jay!
04-22-2005, 07:55 PM
I sucked at the ice racing until I studied the license test demos. I don't mean watched; I mean studied. Like, over and over and over and over and over and over and then just a few more times.

What I eventually learned is that you have to go really slow and be really consistant. If you're too fast; you lose traction, and you're hosed.

My :2cents:.

EVOclipse
04-24-2005, 11:54 AM
the only part of NFSU i wish was in gran turismo is the throttle/brake on the right joystick, i felt it was much much easier than the damn pressure sensitive buttons.

honda_racing101
04-24-2005, 03:44 PM
You can use the right joystick for the gas/brakes.

EVOclipse
04-24-2005, 08:59 PM
says who? my car goes absolutely no where when i use it.

Wild Cobra Z28
04-26-2005, 07:05 PM
I sucked at the ice racing until I studied the license test demos. I don't mean watched; I mean studied. Like, over and over and over and over and over and over and then just a few more times.

What I eventually learned is that you have to go really slow and be really consistant. If you're too fast; you lose traction, and you're hosed.

My :2cents:.

Thanx, but no one offered a setup that works better than I'm using. I agree, slow is the key. Every time I pass the opponent, he noses past me and gives me a penslty when I swing out enough to push through me and make my nose touch his side. I since had no problems getting thought the Ice Race in the Super Drivers Licence. First attempt, made Silver.

Part of my problem is I like to get as many spec points as I can per race. I am not happy unless I get at least 40. I am averaging about 100 per race or more now. The 5 sec penalty is killing me against the opposing car, not the walls, and if I didn't specify, in the Special Conditions Events, Normal and Hard.

I guess I will just over power my Evo and blow past him when I can. Boo hoo... less than 5 spec points...

I have the original wheel made for GT3 and it is the best between the wheels if you ask me. I have no issues with things like the "X" button as someone said earlier.

I am also not as far as many of you. Two days ago, I finally finished the Professionals and gained access to the Extreem racing. It wasn't till yesterday that I started and finished the S-License since I will now need it.

28.8%
Day 431
9568 A-Spec Points
798 B-spec Skill

Tougeman
04-26-2005, 11:38 PM
says who? my car goes absolutely no where when i use it.

right joystick works on mine

Wild Cobra Z28
04-27-2005, 12:38 AM
Have you noticed the following: if you hit the opponent or the wall with your front you get the penalty, but if you hit him/it with your side or your rear you don't? This way you'll be able to go full speed into the turns using a drift to lean your back against the wall. You get no penalty, you can apply full throttle and you should at least be able to win "Normal"-level. Always let the outside wall guide you through the corners!

Well, that works if you use an over powered car, and take the easy way out. I like high spec point races and clean runs. I hate having to repaint the fenders, you know...

And don't forget to set high values for your differential.

Good luck!

Now this is the type of info I might be able to use. However, that seems bass-ackwards. I have tried high accel numbers on the front axle and high decel numbers on the rear axle. High numbers seems like you would loose stability on corners when not powersliding through them.

Have any specific numbers, car, and setups in mind? Keep in mind that my 343(?)HP Evo is more power than I want to run for spec points also.

TAFKADY
04-27-2005, 08:05 AM
Hi, it's me again!
I did some test racing since my last reply. If you have won this race by now you may ignore this post, Cobra.

I found out that the Impreza RC Prototype is a lot better than the RSC Rally Raid Car I usually use. The Impreza has more grip. I guess any WRC or Group A Rally Car would do the job as well as the Impreza, your Lancer Evo VIII should be competitive (even without adding extra parts). I haven't tried Group B cars but I assume their power might be overkill (like the RSC).

What I did to the Impreza was increasing ride height, use softer suspension (like for gravel) and drive slowly (forget about my first post). In the RSC I used a harder suspension and lowered the car 'cause I thought this would be appropriate since the Ice Arena is flat. However in the Impreza I used Springs around 5...6 kg/mm and dampers ca. 2...3 (bound). I always increase differential (acceleration) to maximum on rear and ca. 10...20 below on front, also increasing initial limiter by roughly 20 or so. Of course I use equal distribution of torque to front and rear. I use very little camber (less than 2° on front, almost 0° on rear).

To get a little more advantage you can apply the drifting method I described in my first reply on the first left corner. You can overtake the opponent easily doing that. But watch out! He sometimes hits you! :mad:

I could do it, and so can you!

Good luck anyway!

Add your comment to this topic!